Hades (Early Access)

Super Giant Games Has done it again… :smiley:

Its like they have a knack for just making Simple Games with a lot of depth to them…

2 Likes

And this all-new game is VERY clearly based on classical Greek mythology too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been playing this a bunch lately. I’ve liked Supergiant’s previous games, but Hades genuinely feels like it’s going to be their best one quite easily.

1 Like

I mean… to be fair I’ve said that about Transistor and then Pyre…
This may be impossible to believe but I honestly think they will always be able to 1-Up their Previous Games every single time…

That being said… with Hades you can see really its just a nice mish mash of all their Previous games… its not Original (Other than the Procedurally Generated Stuff Ofcourse) but its all very much improved. Its like they are “Perfecting Bastion”.

Aside from Bastion I’ve always felt like there was always one or two things holding back their games. Transistor’s story was too breezy and obscure for its own good, and Pyre’s campaign becomes pretty rote and repetitive despite a good story with fleshed-out characters. Worst thing I can say about Bastion was that it’s relatively basic, but what it did what it did well.

So far Hades has all of those strengths and pretty much none of the flaws. It already boasts depth and highly replayable systems, the story is intriguing and gradually builds up the characters and background details from run to run, and the action feels good. The few criticisms I have regarding variety and variation are likely going to be addressed as the game gets closer to launch, so I’m excited to see what the game is going to look like at 1.0 when the ending act is added.

1 Like
Old News

BEHOLD !!! The Long Winter Update (Concise version is in the OP)…
Hades - 'The Long Winter Update' Patch Notes [Downscaled 1080p 60fps] - YouTube

This Update actually came out a while back, I just missed it because I was occupied by other stuff.
that and I have started to change my oppinion on the game itself after Defeating and Being Defeated by the first Boss Multiple Times.

The Short version is… Theres just too much #*!& !!!
Long Version… The Screen is literally Splattered with Enemies, Special Effects and All kinds of Visual Noise and Clutter that its just borderline Chaotic at times. I kid you not, I’ve litterally lost track of My Character’s position on screen just because the games idea of a challenge is just to throw everything at you all at the same time. I’ve tried, I really tried but damage in these encounters is unavoidable… or rather the only way to avoid damage is to focus exclusively on evading. Any Attempt to retaliate (Even when you think its safe to do so) results in me getting clipped by something from somewhere. The Damage enemies deal isnt even that High, its just Unrelenting and… well… Everywhere at all times.

I knew it was bound to happen at some point but I just wasn’t ready for Super Giant to make a game I didnt think was that great. Look, this isnt the first game they made I didnt like, I didnt really like Transister and Pyre all that much, But I still maintain they were well designed. Hades ironically enough has more or less the same level of quality regarding its design in other areas, but the Visual Bombardment is Extremely Excessive.

or… is that how RogueLikes are suppose to be ? :thinking:

More Old News

Aha !!! This time Im Right on Schedule !!! :smiling_imp:
Hades - 'The Nighty Night Update' Patch Notes Dramatic Reading - YouTube

You know, Ive done over 50 Runs in god knows how many hours and yet I still havent managed to escape yet. I managed to reach what I assume is the Final Boss Twice. Him and all his ads are tough ■■■■■■■■. I’l just keep focusing on The Mirror Upgrades and Hope RNG is in my favour on future Attempts.

Edit:
FINALLY !!!
I managed to successfully escape… Twice infact. and you know what… it was rather dissapointing. The Reward for Succesfully getting out is the same as for Beating the first boss. Which is a Problem because the Last Boss Guarding The Exit is Extremely Obnoxious and also alil too Similar to the 2nd MiniBoss. This Reward can also be Purchased for 1500 Obols Literally in the Room just before the Final Boss so Really I personally dont See Reason to Fight him if I can just Hord Obols and Cash Out Early without having to Suffer.

As for the Entire Journey as Whole, escaping seems alil too Dependent on RNG, Specifically the Boons. The Only times I’ve managed to get far is when I get a Powerfull Combination of Rare Boons from Specific Olympians.

So… I’l just keep doing the Obol Hoarding Trick until they nerf that and the only Reason I’l keep playing is to Further each Character’s Narrative. Escape is Overrated and Hell isn’t such a Bad Place. Thats where all the Cool Kids Hang Out anyway.

Behold !!! The Blood Price Update:

So with this update they decided to add as many features before the V1.0 Launch that’s coming soon…
We got a bunch of new weapon aspects and all the character art and detail is getting finalised in addition to giving the remaining characters their own narrative quests.
And that’s basically it …

However one of the things I noticed is the RNG has gotten significantly worse lately and it’s been much harder getting the right combinations to for successful escape attempts. Yesterday I swear to god I didn’t get a Single blessing for my first 5 encounters… Not even a Deadalus Hammer. I was about to give up on that run… Luckily I didn’t because the following Chamber had Area blessings and while those aren’t the best… they are pretty ■■■■ compatible with alot of weapons and I’ve had alot of success with them.

Rather than just whining about it I reduced to use this Opportunity to try out the more Direct Damage Dealing Builds that I used to think that were weak… Aaaaaaaand … So far it doesn’t seem anything has changed. Zeus is still kinda rubbish and Poseidon is still mostly Situational…
Direct Damage just feels weak and ineffective to Damage Over Time Effects… But I don’t know… Maybe I just haven’t found the Right combination yet…
I might have to start from scratch.

Also there’s a new Boss Fight…I can’t give any feedback on that because I haven’t beaten him yet… Which seems silly but considering how the game Bamboozled me with the Final boss I think it’s best to reserve judgements until I can be sure there’s no hidden trickery.
Of course that’s easier said than done because I was only able to fight him twice and I have no idea how this Boss Fight is triggered… Seems like I have to buy something to get him to fight me…

The new Weapon Aspects seem cool… They’re fun to play with but all of them can’t hold a candle to The existing Meta… Which seems to revolve around dealing alot of Instances if Damage in small chunks rather than dealing a large amount of Damage in one big Chunk…

Oh and some new minibosses were added… One is a Crystal Skull Bouquet that fills the screen with Lazers and the other is a Teleporting ■■■■■■■ that likes groping your backside whenever you aren’t looking… It’s really annoying because you can very easily take damage through no fault of your own just because you don’t get a chance to react to anything.

All in all… It was fun but Its missing something that both Transistor and Bastion had… A sense of Order and Control that’s hard to describe.

In any case… Check out this Launch Trailer !!!