Growing the Community: Combo Assist Mode Discussion

dojo mode for every character is what they should of done before shadows before assist modes

stephen hawking can now play ki with out moving a finger

1 Like

I just think mashing circumvents a large part of the combo system. I’m not worried about the middle part. I’m worried about the beginning where now you can just mash until you get hits. Maybe I’m looking at this from the wrong point of view. I’m looking at it as trying to help people who might be into the game kind of get better. Maybe I should just look at it as more people will enjoy KI as a result of this regardless of what they actually want to do in the game (whether it be just screw around or actually try to improve). I just see the word assist and think “it helps players get better” but really I guess it’s just helping lower tier players enjoy the game more. I’m on board. Thanks for the discussion.

in nba 2k the game dont automaticly pass for me in fifa the game dont dribble for me so there shouldn’t be an assist mode to help bad players win game sthey should be forced into practice studying and playing the game.

no one will learn from this mode till its taken out.

You may not remember, but you and I have played three different sets before. You sent me a friend request when we both were very new to KI and we arranged to play a few times.

Each time we played, you ragequit after no more than two matches and sent me a nasty message about how I was “spamming specials,” and “being cheap” because I was able to consistently get past your defense and open you with a combo.

I find it amusing that you are now complaining that this feature exists which will help other players learn the game, or help those who struggle at least enjoy their time with the game a little more. I wonder whether you’ve improved your gameplay since then and are forgetting where you came from, or is it just that your terrible attitude hasn’t improved?

2 Likes

might aswell have auto block on and auto counter hits on aswell in this now

that was me being salty now i’ve practiced quite a bit i can keep up with a few guys here now still lose to them but atleast i can make the fight interesting. me and galatic geek have played alot latley and i’m gettin better everyday why because i studied the game and practiced

not because i hit x then a and got into a combo i had to hit x hitconfirm then go into specials

Guys & Girls, think about it like this.

My friend that has Carpal tunnel played some matches with me with the Combo Assist, and was SUPER elated that he was able to play KI, and have fun without pain! Plus my Sister is turned off of fighting games because of the execution, How “boring” fighting games are, and “Remembering Combos.” Since KI doesn’t require you to memorize combos, It actually might become more fun for her to the point where she might want to continue learning, and get better! I’m so happy for this. Remember guys this is for NEW PLAYERS!

Not Us. It won’t bother us at all. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve said this a few times in the past, but one of the three primary pillars of KI has always been: Getting players to the “chess match” of high level fighting game play sooner.

Where any fighting game truly shines is in the psychological game of wits that gets you an opener / combo, leverages emotional pressure(s), and allows you to out-think and outmaneuver your opponent in order to win.

You don’t hear commentators on fighting games saying “wow, great fireball input there from Bob”. You hear them talk about when and how moves are used and strung together and when and how they’re deployed based on health, time, charcter choices, meters, and the millions of other factors that moment-to-moment make fighting game competitors make choices that result in wins or losses.

Combo Assist exists to do just what we’ve been pushing towards since day zero of KI’s rebirth - let more players have fun and (hopefully) see why fighting games are fun at high-level a lot sooner than they ever would without it. It also exists to highlight some of the very unique properties that KI offers over other fighting games, namely linkers, enders, breakers and counterbreakers and let players experience them earlier than they would in any other game.

If you don’t want to use it, just turn it off. However, as @TheKeits said, we didn’t build it to divide our player base, so options to disable it from any mode won’t be going in – that’s not good for the health of our game.

Oh, and I had to add:

If that’s the case, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

8 Likes

The key is basically “how can we hook a person who sucks at fighting games, can’t do a quarter circle to save his life, but still wants to see cool stuff happen on the screen with his buds over a beer?”

This mode does that. The hope is that a small percentage of them think what’s happening is so cool and neat that they dig for more information on the game. If 5% of people who use the mode try to get better at KI because they are having so much fun, then the mode is a very strong success.

If they want to continue to use combo assist while they learn (because they still can’t do a quarter circle to save their life), we should embrace that. If they never turn it off and they quit after 3 months, but ended up way better than they started, this is pretty awesome, isn’t it?

(Combo assist has other advantages too, like allowing disabled players easier access to the meat of the game, etc)

1 Like

Yes, this is a fantastic message to give potential players, many of which have been interested in fighters but intimidated by them for years. The first thing you need to do when playing our game is go into training mode with a system you have no idea how to use, and grind it out, man! Not having fun yet? Too bad! We don’t owe you any fun, since you can’t do quarter circles yet.

If you think combo assist mode is comparable to automatically blocking all attacks, I’m afraid your understanding of how fighting games work isn’t as strong as you think it is.

4 Likes

practice mode is there to master your inputs and learn how the game works

dojo mode should be more of a focus with new players this teaches them the core mecanhics i know when i started i got jago pretty easy thought i got the concept of openers and linkers auto doubles

soon as i went to wulf and thunder i forgot the core mechancis because they didnt have a dojo mode

wasn’;t until i watched maxs videos and vaspers arcades videos that i truely understand what an opener was

when i started i was told go into practice mode and stay there for a solid month till you understand the concept

now any jabroin can pick up ki within 10 minutes and bust off 70 percent hit combos

thats stupid

really really stupid

im all for new players comein into ki but make them learn the game first dont give them the option to compete with us vets force them to practice

they dont got any assist modes on sport games or shooters thats like putting aim bot on cod

Sure they can do %70 percent combos easily. That isn’t a good thing to do though. %70 combos are easy to break because to many heavies.

This is a bad analogy. This isn’t equivalent to having aim bot on CoD. It doesn’t give you any unfair advantage over your opponent. This is to help people who have poor execution or are trying to learn how the combo system works. If you think your opponent is using it and you find yourself losing to it, you should probably start using it yourself.

1 Like

I’m shocked that people think simple combo execution is the dominant pillar when it comes to being good at a fighting game. The best players at this game could go online and wreck without ever doing a combo, heck I’ve done it myself before, opener into sweep all day, and I was still wining because combos aren’t that important.

6 Likes

The message seems to be that controls shouldn’t be an impediment to improving.

The reason I have less of a problem with combo assists is, as a charge character player, because I have seen this happen already. Not only KI, but also SFV, has tried to move away from this (charging moves).

Now to further lower the barrier, circular motions are removed mid combo, which should allow a player to focus on the core of KI.

Maybe if the game switches to Kinect voice commands, then I might have second thoughts, lol.

1 Like

Kinect voice commands? “Kinect Victory” “Kinect Record That”. That would be funny but too far. I think Assist is fine.

1 Like

My disabled friend just tried out Combo Assist & KI for the first time.

Literally what he said:

What have I been missing!? This game is so much. Fun. I can see why you liked it."

Well done, IG.

10 Likes

I can get behind this, very smart play IG! You guys been killing it with this game, looking forward to seeing more new blood enter the arenas!

2 Likes

“Get 'em boy!” = Wulf’s forward dash command, lol.
“Awooooooh” = we all know this one :smile:

1 Like

Just played a bit of practice mode with assist on. There really is no reason to go back to the old mode. Am kind of salty that I spent day one in training mode for like four hours learning the combo system. The new combo mode completely makes what you practiced unnecessary. While this is good for new players, It pretty much makes the old system worthless and I wouldn’t be surprised if a new KI game just drops the old way.

I see a lot of bronze, silver, and gold players moving up because of this and a lot of people being salty that new comers are doing combos a lot easier than they are used to.

I feel like the game just lost what made it what it is. If anything, this is more Smash now. Sure you can say KI is a game of Chess but the same can be said about EVERY OTHER FIGHTING GAME. The skill has now been radically dropped and if this were an FPS it would be like automatically granting people headshots but the Chess part would be who has the better weapon or who fires first, Halo would have a lot of angry fans and unfortunately, KI fans are too small and will have their voices ignored just like when MS funded the MK tournaments instead of KI.

Another thing is people keep saying the game is more than just combos, lol, I made it to Killer Rank just learning combos and never looking into breaking Shadow moves or counter breaking. Even combo breaking at most is a guess to me based on the speed of the combo. When I was doing combos before I would have to think while doing to combos on which to do next, a heavy, a light, or medium and try to compensate for the timing to do the special move to fake out my opponents but now I feel like I can easily and mindlessly just tap any button without any thought at all. If anything the defending player is the one who is now more disadvantaged because of how easily to combos are pulled off.

Over all I feel like this assist system should be heavily nerfed. There is no incentive to learn to old way which is pretyy much throwing away the KI feel and traditional play. The only real thing to learn for newbie players is throwing shadow moves in their combos and combo breaking. Manuels are worthless and I’ve never had trouble fighting against other Killer Ranked players without them. Their is nothing else they need to learn to win, because like in my personal experience it was the combo system that got me to the top Killer Rank.

A solution like I posted earlier is to only let them use one type per combo such as a light, medium, or heavy. It should also remove the special moves in the combos that way the assist combos are just linkers and easily noticeable when someone is using them. That way they learn to combo break and they learn that if they really want to progress to tougher opponents who are doing cool combos with special moves in them they need to learn the real combo system. If IG/MS really do want to keep the old system around and not just make it obsolete I suggest changing the assist system to give you a peek at the other side of the door not just give you the keys to the city.

Edit:

It feels cheap and completely removes poking from the game because as soon as you land the first hit the rest becomes a combo. Am getting rewarded where in previous matches I would have gotten punished.

Yeah it’s basically autocorrect for fighting games. I played with assist on and I know for a fact their have been times when I have low jabed and hit a combo from a confirmed hit I didn’t think was going to land. Were I not using the assist I wouldn’t have gotten that guaranteed combo and instead just gotten that jab poke. Seems like poking in the game will also be useless.

I don’t want to get rewarded for something I would have been punished before but I know if I don’t use the system others will use it on me.

2 Likes

Interesting how a game for children has a competitive scene that dwarfs the FGC in its entirety. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cash payouts for EVO2015: $303,500

Cash Payouts For COD Champs 2015: Estimated $1,000,000

And for an example of a “more mature” title, let’s look at the DOTA 2 International 2015 Championships. A free to play game that involves little more than clicking and a few hot keys, and the payout was a whopping $18,429,000!

My point does not revolve around the specific game, but rather the premise that makes the game popular. A low barrier to entry and easy to learn controls leads to a bigger scene with a wider variety of skill ranges and audiences. If you remove the boundary of trying to struggle just handling basic mechanics and make it so people can get into things like character matchups and mind games quicker.
Think about it, if a game controls well enough that even a child can learn the basics, then that’s a game that’s open to a wide audience.

TL;DR- The smoother and simpler the controls, the bigger the potential audience, and therefore the larger the community and competitive scene.

1 Like