Glacius Strategy Guide

Guess what guys? I’m making an updated Season 3 Glacius guide! Because f*** free time, Imma spend tons of it recording this video until it comes out right. Expect it to come out this weekend (yes, I know I made the same promise with Cinder. I’m just going to go with the excuse that it’s a Cinder guide and you can fill in the blanks).

In a few hours I’ll post my script so you guys can read it while I wait for time to record. Feel free to give me feedback on it before it releases! :wink:

3 Likes

Here’s the script! I’m open to anything new you guys want me to add to this @CVERIMZ @Infilament @Beathead88

Glacius Guide

What’s up, guys! Look’s like I’m back here again by popular demand with a Season 3 Glacius guide! Keep in mind before I start that 90% of what I say here will be exactly the same as in the Season 2 guide, and that the game is still under balancing and anything could change in the future. Also, I have not been playing this character as much as I did in Season 2, so there won’t be much new fancy tech in this video. I recommend you head to Infil’s guide in the description for a simpler breakdown.

Lat’s start with the basics. Glacius is a zoning style character. His job is to use pokes and projectiles to force the opponent to approach him before being forced to put on the pressure himself.

Glacius’ main weakness is his mobility. His walk speed is relatively slow, his jump is very floaty, and his new Season 3 dash is only useful when you have hails to cover you (though it is fun to use). This problem adds on to the fact that Glacius is a somewhat tall character, making him a easy target for those attempting to get in his face. Luckily, Glacius has a lot of tools to keep the match in his favor.

One great thing about Glacius is that he deals out large amounts of damage. On a counter breaker he can get up to 70+%, make his reads very rewarding, and he has one of the best shadow linkers in the game for packing on damage, and well as an amazing shadow opener.

Glacius’ combo trait is ranged doubles. If Glacius lands an opener on a far away opponent, such as a jumping attack, a lance or the shatter special and presses a button after, he will perform an auto double that tracks the opponent. He can use his shatter special as a linker and an ender in this combo, allowing him to do huge amounts of damage while remaining away from his opponent. However, this method is weaker than his normal combos for a few reasons. His ranged auto doubles only have 3 variations rather than the normal six is both punches and kicks perform the same animation. Shatter is his only available linker, and he does not have access to manuals unless he is close enough to use his lance. And a new change to Season 3 is that his ranged doubles do 10% less damage than his close combos. If Glacius attempts a counter breaker, he will liquidize up to his opponent before taking the stance, ensuring that he is vulnerable if he makes a bad read. If the opponent is close enough, Glacius can use is cold shoulder special to rush toward the opponent and turn the ranged combo into a standard melee combo, giving him more options and damage.

Time to talk about Glacius’ moves. Let’s start with Glacius’ normals. His standing LP is a fast poke, MP is a medium range poke and a situational anti-air, and HP is a good meaty attack, but the far version is punishable. His only standing kick normal of note is close MK, which is +1 on block and can lead to frame traps. It’s also worth noting that cl.LK and cl.MK look very similar, which can trip people up when used as manuals in combos.

Crouching LP is another very fast poke that has good range and is advantaged on block, MP is a low hitting attack, and HP is an amazing anti-air. Crouching LK is a quick low, MK is nothing special other than a good confirm into shadow hail, and his HK is a quick hard knockdown sweep with decent range.

Glacius has two command normals. His first command is Back+HP, which is a great anti-air and can be special cancelled. However, I recommend using crouching HP as an anti-air option over this. One cool use for this move, however, is frame trapping. It has a HUGE cancel window, so you can cancel it into a special late to catch someone who wants to take their turn.

His other command normal is Forward+MP, which is his ice lance. This is one of his best tools as it is very long ranged. This move can also be special cancelled. This move also acts as a opener, which can lead to his ranged combos. This move is very unsafe on block, however, and he will need to special cancel his lance to keep the opponent guessing. Another big weakness of this move is that it has a vulnerable box on it, meaning that if the opponent uses an attack against it, such as an uppercut, it will beat the lance out and Glacius will take damage as if the attack hit his body.

Now for Glacius’ jumping attacks. Jumping LP is the fastest, jumping MP is a great air to air, and HP has good block stun on landing and is also a decent air to air. More importantly, Glacius’ jumping kick attacks are long range lances that hit at 3 different angles. LK his right under him, MP hit at more of an angle, and HK is almost perfectly horizontal. This are great for keeping the opponent at bay and can start a ranged combo on landing, but like the grounded ice lance these have vulnerable boxes on them, so Glacius remains vulnerable in the air.

Let’s talk about special moves. QCB+Punch is his hail attack, which is arguably his most useful. This projectile spawns over Glacius’ head, and can be held over his head for up to a few seconds or whenever you let the button go. Strength of the command changes the angle. New to Season 3, Glacius’ can summon 2 or 3 hails in the same command by pressing the corresponding strength, and release them each as he pleases. LP falls right in front, MP goes a further forward, and HP goes far enough to hit an opponent from full screen. LP and MP versions also bounce on the floor a few times, causing LP to go almost full screen and MP to go much further. Hails disappear if they go off-screen for long enough (longer than in Season 2), bounce enough times or hit the opponent, NOT if Glacius takes damage, giving Glacius extra protection from being rushed down. These can be used for zoning, protecting Glacius from close ranged assault of jumping attacks, covering Glacius’ approaches or a multitude of nasty setups. More on that later.

Hail can only be used as an ender in a combo, which bounces the opponent of the ground for continued juggles or setups. Be warned that light hail after this ender with hit the opponent and give them a soft knockdown.

The shadow version of Hail causes five hails to spawn over Glacius’ head and spread out forward at different angles, creating a wall of hails. This move can be used as a linker and it is not as easy to shadow counter or combo break as his other shadow moves. This great for anti-airing if shadow canceling moves to make them safe, unless the opponent has a projectile invincible move at the ready. This move is also ridiculous as a shadow opener, not only in terms of damage, but it also does not trigger the opener in the combo breaker sequence, meaning you can link a normal after it and it won’t be breakable, but the linker after will be. This also means you can link 2 shadow hails together for absurd opener and one chance damage.

Glacius’ next special move is Shatter, which is QCF+Punch. This move causes an ice punch to rise from the ground, with the range based on the strength of the input, with HP being the furthest away. This move is actually unblockable, making it useful for dirty setups, but it won’t hit opponents in the air and it has a lot of recovery time, making Glacius punishable on landing by a majority of the cast (this changed from Season 2). Be warned that now in Season 3 it acts as a true projectile, so opponents can shadow through it. This move is used as a linker, even in ranged combos, and it is Glacius’ fastest linker and does similar damage to his puddle punch linker. The ender version of this move builds builds shadow meter and launches the opponent for juggles at higher ender levels.

Shadow Shatter tracks the opponent and 5 ice spikes erupt from the ground. While this move is not unblockable, it does hit aerial opponents, so use this to punish dashes or jumps from far away. This move can also cash out damage as a shadow ender.

Next is Cold Shoulder, which is QCB+Kick. This causes Glacius to quickly lunge forward and shoulder charge his opponent. Different strengths change startup speed, advantage and range. This move is unsafe on block with the medium and heavy versions (and punishable by 3 frame fps on the light version). The distance Glacius travels before hitting the opponent increases the pushback on block, which can leave Glacius in a better position and he may avoid punishment. Use this to close the distance on your opponent or catch them off their guard. The linker version can be used to push the opponent towards a corner, and the ender version in a wall splat ender. Shadow Cold Shoulder is projectile invulnerable and hits 5 times very fast. This is an amazing shadow linker as it is very fast and very damaging, though it is very easy to break. This is also Glacius’ shadow counter move. Keep in mind that it’s opener damage is, ironically, very bad by shadow move standards, so try to use shadow hail instead.

Next is Puddle Punch, which is QCF+Kick. This is Glacius’ wakeup/reversal, though it acts a bit differently from a standard dp. Strength changes startup time, invulnerability and after effect. The LK version is vulnerable on the first few frames of startup and as he is rising, but in keeps the opponent grounded for a full combo. MK version is invulnerable on startup but vulnerable as he rises and deals a soft knockdown (don’t use this one). The HK version is of particular note because it is fully invulnerable until after Glacius’ attack comes out and it hits like a truck (as much as Iago’s heavy reversal), though it also deals a soft knockdown. All versions highly unsafe on block, so cancel it into shadow hail if you have the opportunity. Keep in mind that characters can shadow through the shadow hails in most scenarios, except for after a point blank heavy puddle punch. It can also be used as an anti-air, but if you can successfully time the light version to where you land the punch on the opponents “trip guard” frames (which are added landing recovery frames if the opponent does an attack before landing), then you can perform a full punish on an opponents jump in attempt. The linker version is Glacius’ most damaging linker (though not much more than shatter), and the ender version cashes out more damage than any of Glacius’ other standard enders.

Shadow Puddle Punch launches the opponent for 5 juggle hits and has a high amount of invincibility. This move also cashes out the most damage as an ender, and can be followed up with an ice lance for counter breaker bait. Just make sure to buffer your counter break input in the startup of the attack so you can catch first frame break attempts.

Finally, we have Liquidize, which is perform by pressing all three kicks. Glacius turns into a puddle and can move around for about 1.5 seconds before coming back up. The move is immune to projectiles on the way down, completely invulnerable while submerged and completely vulnerable on the way up, though it recovers quickly. This move allows Glacius to more easily avoid enemy zoning and give him more freedom to throw some back. It can also be used to avoid and counter many other moves if you have timing and good reads. It also have some great uses in setups, which I’ll explain later.

Glacius’ throw pushes the opponent a set distance away and keeps them standing (similar to Omen’s). This throw has relatively good range. Mid-screen, this gives Glacius breathing room to set up his offense. When used towards the corner, Glacius can follow up with any manual and start a short combo. He also can do some really tricky setups off it as well.

Finally (thank god), Glacius’ Instinct spawns ice armor around him that self-regenerates itself every few seconds as long as Glacius isn’t taking damage. This armor can take one hit before shattering, though it can be ignored by throws, grounded heavies or Hisako’s counters. This really helps keep Glacius’ more defended during his pressure and most opponents will simply run away to avoid him. Sacrificing a hit on your armor to start a full combo is the strategy behind his instinct, so make your opponent is stuck under an onslaught. Also, while you have armor on you have an extension of active frames during a shadow counter stance. But that’s just Season 2. Glacius received 2 new buffs to his instinct in Season 3 that make it far more dangerous. His liquidize now travels much faster, giving him betetr control of spacing and the stage, and increases the versatility of his setups. Glacius also can homing puddle punch by pressing HP+HK, as well as cross up homing puddle punch with fwrd+HP+HK. These new buffs grant him the ability to chase down people who try to run to outlast his instinct, and make his offense much scarier combined with hails. Keep in mind, however, that there is a tell on what side his homing puddle punch will attack. A normal puddle signifies that he’s coming up on the front, and a sparking puddle means he is crossing up. Not many opponents will know this tell, but you should be careful against defensive opponents. Try mixing normal homing puddle punch with liquidize to confuse the opponent.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Advanced:

-Drop combo/shatter resets with MK

-Hail overheads

-Unbreakable off raw hail

-Hail cancel combos

-Shoulder ender mid-screen->Hail->Continue

-Instinct cancel->Shadow hail bait

-Hail ender setups:
—MP:
Low
Overhead
Liquidize Vortex
Puddle Punch Block string
Meaty->Shatter
—HP:
Throw->Hail catch->Shadow shatter (add liquidize)

Corner throw setups:
Second throw
Manual
Hard Knockdown
-MP hail
Puddle Punch
Throw
Meaty->Shatter
Overhead
Low

-some cool Season 3 instinct stuff