Game crashes after trying to connect to multiplayer

Hello, I am new to this community, I played Killer Instinct for the SNES back in the day and had a lot of fun, so I tried to get into the 2013 version. I don’t have access to an Xbox One, but I bought the game a few days ago, for Steam where I keep most of them. I’ve played the single player modes without issue, but when I try connecting to multiplayer the game crashes and closes, it doesn’t show any information about an error or something, it just closes whenever I try to create a lobby or invite a player. I’ve seen some people have this issue around the discussions in Steam with no clear answer, and Steam Support sent me here. I really want to play the game with some friends, I don’t have this multiplayer problem with any other game. I’ve verified the integrety of the game files, passing the performance test many times, searching for a solution in many different sites, reinstalling the game, updating the drivers, even changing the fullscreen file for some reason, but nothing solves the problem. Does anyone know what to do?

1 Like

Welcome to the game and community.

Out of curiosity, have you tried a match made Exhibition or Ranked game, simply to see if they work?

Thank you, and yes, I’ve tried searching and inviting players in Exhibition, and also in a Ranked game. I’ve tried Shadow Lords MP too, but the same happens in any multiplayer mode (except for local play), the game stops and then closes itself.

Okay. Thus far, it looks like your troubleshooting steps are spot on.

The only other thing I could suggest at this point would be to reach out to Xbox Support. If this is indeed a server issue, or a service issue, they’d be the ones to handle the game’s servers now.

One other question for you: Go to Start Menu>Settings>Gaming>Xbox Networking, the section for Xbox Live multiplayer, what are you getting here. If it fails, run the test once or twice more. Do you pass, or no?

Hello, sorry for the late reply. I tried the test and it said something about a Teredo adapter not working, I tried many recommendations from the Xbox Support Windows section that talked about this, but they didn’t work. I even messed up my computer, nothing serious though, but I need to wait some days before I can use it again. Anyway, thanks for your help, I think once I have my PC back I will contact Xbox Support directly and hopefully solve the issue, it won’t stop me from enjoying most of the game either way.

1 Like

find out what the error was? i got the same identical issue here

I have the following problem. Everything works on a personal computer with a 1060 video card. But it pulls badly, because there is a weak processor. I bought a new gaming laptop. There is a 3060 video card there. Testing of the video card in the game showed more than 3000 points. For online games, as you know, you need more than 1000. But when you try to launch the game over the network (rating battle, demonstration battle) - immediately fly to the desktop without a window with an error. Reinstalling the game did not give anything. At the same time, I downloaded the second version of the game for testing from the Windows Store.
The KI from the Windows Store works correctly. There are no problems with online battles

on PC 1060 and Windows Home. the game works correctly on Steam.
On a 3060 laptop and Windows Pro, and here the KI Steam version crashes when trying to play on the network in any mode. Only survival among the shadows works correctly.
But Windows Store KI Steam version On a 3060 laptop works correctly !

1 Like

I wrote about the problem to the developers (IronGalakhi). The result is -0. the standard notification from the bot-server did not even come to the mail that “thank you for contacting us with a problem, etc.”. I don’t understand: the game is on sale in the store. why developers completely ignore problems. how to reach them?

1 Like

Iron Galaxy was a contracted developer and their contract is done; they no longer have anything to do with Killer Instinct in terms of support or development.

You want to reach out to Xbox Game Studios, who owns and technically supports the product.

1 Like

Iron Galaxy (irongalaxystudios.com)
I wrote to them about the problem. They could have answered something. But they just ignored it. in any case, in the end, the situation is as follows: Steam, Xbox say that they are just platforms and do not provide technical support. and developers ignore emails.

Iron Galaxy hasn’t worked on the title for three to four years now. At best, all they’d do is point you to Xbox Game Studios.

I’d reach out to them (Xbox) again, but instead of emailed, try calling them. Explain to the rep that Iron Galaxy’s contract on the game finished years ago and you know Xbox is the company that owns/supports the game, and your looking for support.

The challenge today is game support reps, especially their tier 1 base support members, just like to use cut and paste answers and sadly, I find they don’t do much in the way of providing actual support. This is with all support companies, not just Microsoft.

You can also try reaching out on Twitter and the official Killer Instinct Twitter.

To confirm, your Microsoft Store is working just fine, but your Steam version is the one having online issues, yes?

1. Any network mode does not work in the Steam Version. Error with the file cpprest140_2_9.dll
  2. In the Windows Store version, recording playback does not work in training mode
  3. in both versions, the counterattack from the dummy does not work in the training mode.

I searched for this and the solution seems to be to either download DirectX, or to download the cpprest file and add it to your Windows\system32 folder.

When’s the last time you did a clean install of Windows?

Overall though, I still recommend reaching out to Xbox Support.

I didn’t quite understand your recommendations. Do I need to update DirectX? I have updated this via dxsetup to the latest version. Copy the file cpprest140_2_9.dll in System32? I copied it there. But the error did not disappear. Network mode does not work.

Of course, I would contact support if I knew where to contact me. As I wrote earlier, I have already contacted three different support services and no one wants to help.

a new laptop. I bought it in December. Windows was installed three weeks ago.

1 Like

I’m only quoting what I found online. I don’t own the Steam version of the game so can’t first hand test things.

I do have the Xbox/Microsoft Store version, and training mode works for me, though I’ve only used it on-console.

For support, as mentioned, Xbox Support is who you need to speak to. And as mentioned, I recommend calling, not emailing them. Iron Galaxy is no longer supporting the game as they’re done, their contract is finished. Support and anything related to the game has now fallen to the publisher, which is Xbox Game Studios.

they cannot be called. but I can order a call back, having previously selected the problem in their list. there is no such problem in their list. The robot calls on the call, but the person is not there. waiting more than 10 minutes, the person never showed up. Getting attention and help from them over the phone is not realistic. It’s like trying to call Santa Claus.

Odd, I wonder if this is a regional thing, or a change in their system since I last reached out to them. I’ve never had an issue getting to an agent myself.

Beyond this though, I’m not sure what else to advise you.