Fulgore's new Laser: It's amazing

@SightlessKombat

Believe me I’ve been wanting to do something along those lines to. But I guess everyone wants their favorite to obliterate people they have a hard time with.

While it’s not good with anti-airs it’s still good for everything else. It gives you more zoning options and it makes moves like shadow teleport less risky which usually you can get jabbed out of it raw. You can also make your teleport apporaches even better to. And if you knock someone into the air you can still cancel it from a juggle hit and if you have meter you can fire a shadow plasma shot or do any number of things with it. Counter-breakers included. You get more bang for your buck.

@MBABanemobius

A reason for each one:

Cyber-uppercut: DP motions are not simple to pull off. While indeed anyone can do them with practice. If Sadira is above my head about to do her widows drop and I’m trying to knock her down with it. She’ll likely already be jumping on my face before I can even press the punch button. Compared to most moves. DP motions don’t always give you a lot of time in tight situations like this.

Crouch HP: It requires timing and it can be strict. Especially against character’s like Sadira and Glacius with his icicle kicks.

A move that should be your defense in Fulgore’s case has more risk involved than someone like Shago’s down HP or Sabrewulf’s eclipse or Cinder’s Fire-Flash.

Despite having not really good anti-air defense options Fulgore otherwise I think has a lot of fun stuff to work with just from the the adjustment of his new H-laser. I even found alot of other fun stuff to do with his medium laser.

@SullenMosquito

Pretty much a good summary of that. And while blocking may be a simple solution, it’s not good when you have situations where your health is not enough to block any more damage, this is not an option.

Because, as a player with no sight, timing those moves to hit and not be punished for using them would be extremely difficult in the heat of, say, a Sadira match. The anti-air options for Fulgore in Season 2 were not completely impossible for an opponent to avoid, but they were also more balanced on the offensive player’s end. Basically, S2’s anti-air game from Fulgore’s point of view was less based around moves that would be easy to punish regardless of timing or situation. Just my opinion from getting to Killer tier with Fulgore but not that it really counts for much during S3.

Thanks for justifying/clarifying my argument, as far as I can see. I’m not saying that his new heavy laser and even the medium aren’t good, just that Fulgore needs some additional anti-air options to balance him out with the rest of the cast I feel.

There’s a few points here I disagree with.

I don’t see how Fulgore’s cr.hp is any worse than many other characters. It is not the absolute best in its class (I believe Wulf’s is) but it is still totally usable.

DP motions aren’t the easiest to do,and Jeffron mentioned Cinder’s DP as an example of an easier one, but his is the ONLY meter less DP with a down up motion in the game. The majority of the rest of the cast either also has to use a DP motion or doesn’t have an invulnerable reversal to use as an anti air in the first place.

I disagree with the statement that he need additional anti airs to be balanced with the rest of the cast as he already has equal or better options than most so it isn’t balancing.

From what I see anti airing is difficult for every character in every game as it requires timing and execution to pull off. This is one of the reasons why jumping is common in low level play and why it is more rare in high level play (as people have learnt to anti air). Fulgore having difficulty timing anti airs isn’t actually different from other characters, and he had the same issue (but much less risky AND easier to perform due to the moves fantastic properties) when he had his old H laser.

It wouldn’t be a problem really if Sadira was able to cancel her blocked web-dagger attacks with widow’s drop to stuff anti-air attempts, made even worse now that she gets to nt only stuff it but jump on my head as well never in video games have I ever wanted to crush a spider themed character until she came along. (Which I will not feel guilty about because she’s not a true bug character to me, but that’s going off topic)

In my case this was a match-up I dislike the most I think Glacius vs Cinder S2 match up is a bit less of a pain than against Sadira. It doesn’t matter whether Fulgore’s DP gets meter or not. If you can’t knock Sadira out of her widows drop with it.You either have to pray that you get the timing down or don’t use it at all against her.

I’d still rather use crouching HP against Sadira than his DP. It’s a bit more reliable than cyber-uppercut.

Back on the topic I still stand by the fact that Fulgore’s H-lazer is awesome. Will I ever use it up close? hell no, it’s situational but I can always set situations where I can use it once I get good distance.

i been using heavy lazer in every fight, when it lands ill get a combo opportunity off the stagger, or if i choose to and i see they have full instinct, bait them to instinct trigger thinking im gonna teleport behind them and they whiff their attempted punish. it has its uses for sure

For the record widows drop and salticidae aren’t invulnerable, they just change the jump arc. It is definitely harder to time am anti air bit not impossible as it’s not invulnerable. I certainly feel your pain against Sadira, it is legitimately a challenge to anti air a good Sadira but rest assured that this moves are totally beatable.

I know they are beatable, but there are certain situations with Fulgore where they are not. If they cross up just right, you can’t Cr HP. They are directly above you and you will hit to the right or left of their hitbox giving them the hit. Jago can do something similar with his Jump HP because he is higher than the hitbox where Fulgore is barely lower than where his Cr HP hitbox is at. It’s all spacing relevant but it’s one of those scenarios where, you should probably just block, and go for the reversal after.

we’re not saying it’s unbeatable, it’s just hard to time and because of that Cyber Uppercut is not reliable in this situation. Cr.HP is really the only option you have where you are less likely to get hit.

Back on topic I still think H-lazer is amazing with everything it does despite not having anti-air options with it.

Yeah it is good, definitely better with pip cancels. Actually always better with pip cancels.

Yes. With pip-cancels it works at its best.

Looking back at an old Kim Wu ranked video I made, I fought a Fulgore twice who was basically the scrubbiest Fulgore you could imagine.

Not saying Fulgore is OP or anything, but there is one thing that’s a little iffy to me: the amount of chip Heavy Laser does on block. That’s like 3% and that’s ridiculous for an instant full screen traveling projectile in my opinion. I’d jump over it, but you know, Kim Wu. And I’d counter it if not for pip cancels making that a free punish.

With the new H-lazer I can honestly live with the fact it no longer anti airs and the damage nerfs he got in season 2.

If you’re playing as Kim-Wu which seems to do better at close range than at a distance, then you should keep him close. But obviously you shouldn’t throw ■■■■ out there. If you can keep his pip levels low you can pretty much can stop half of his gameplan. Basically: Don’t let Fulgore get pips so easily. And even if he is getting pips you need to keep an eye out for what ever the heck he does.

Also if Kim has any shadow moves to go through projectiles you can use that if he gets far enough to zap you from from away.

It has crap startup so I can’t really control that.

I understand that the laser slows his reactor speed, but that doesn’t mean much if I can’t catch him.

Slowing down the reactor isn’t really the only draw back to usin the H-laser:

The attack does have a slow build up and a recovery in most cases if he is shooting you with that thing and he whiffs he’s open for quite a awhile.

I wouldn’t really ever use the H-laser unless I was nearly full screen or full screen away because of those two things. But because of it’s uses and mix-ups it’s amazing despite those flaws. A smart Fulgore would never use an H-laser up close.

I’m more of a mix kind of fighter with Fulgore. I don’t really use my zoning tools unless I either A: Want to plan something, or B: use it as cover when I want to teleport in close (which is dangerous by the way)

Another possibility is you should catch him BEFORE he gets that range to even use the H-laser. Has he been doing anything else to set that up? Cause if you can stop him from getting that distance you can stop him from using the H-laser.

If he’s teleporting around you can also grab Fulgore out of it before he has a chance to hit you (if he’s teleporting close to you) Because of this I usually don’t teleport in the raw if I want to get close.

That being said, you’ll probably have to find a way to get in close with Kim’s mobility in some way or to get him while he is close enough to you. Just like how I’d have to figure out how to stop Sadira from escaping an aerial punish with widows drop after I block her heavy widow daggers. lol I can understand why consider blocking as a great option as I don’t want to take the chip damage from Sadira’s widow drop if I can’t afford to.

I’m sure you can ask some of the other Kim players perhaps they know. I just started playing Kim awhile ago to unlock some of her stuff. I won’t say more as I do not want to go off topic.

As far as timing, startup, recovery and amount of chip, compare Fulgores H
Laser to Aganos shotgun rock without the vertical coverage. Yes Fulgore can pip cancel it, but he is spending both spin speed and a pip to do so. If he doesnt convert into anything, thats still a net better position for you as any character. If Fulgore cant open you up while spending resources to be tricky, then hes gonna have a harder time doing anything once he is spent. You also have to think of the caliber of player you are facing. Is their zoning strong or average? Can you walk forward? Jump forward? Are they reliably anti airing you? Is he doing good setups or just pressing buttons and getting lucky? Then are you playing too passive? Letting him get away with things? H laser has its uses, but without pip cancels its not very good. Glay H hail is more annoying that H laser could ever be. You have to feel out each Fulgore you face. If he cant make the right reactions, then pressure the crap out of him, whats he gonna do? Shadow counter you? Lol

This is hilariously true and probably the worst habit for me. I never usually save any for shadow counters. Lol

1 Like