Fulgore Players: An appeal for help with the Killer instinct Community Guide

This post will circulate around all the character threads, so if you see multiple similar posts there is a deliberate reason for it.

To all Fulgore players,

For those who don’t know I am currently working, in conjunction with the rest of the community, on building what I hope to be the most accessible and comprehensive guide to Killer Instinct for players with a visual impairment (and of course, anyone else who wants to read it). I know there’s @Infilament’s guide, but there are (as of the time of this post), still issues present when reading the guide with assistive technology like screen readers, along with things that I feel would be of interest to players with absolutely no sight like myself (e.g. Character descriptions, an easy to access list of frame data, etc).

That’s where you come in. At the start of the process for building the guide I tried to get players to start providing me with information on all the characters, but thus far I only have one character’s move list even partially filled out, with no description, tips/notes, etc (and I’m not trying to disrespect the author of that part of the guide, who has done a great job so far and should have the rest of the list for that character completed soon as far as I’m aware). I wanted to put out this call for help so I can flesh out my guide to a greater extent - I know I’m awaiting the Dojo lessons from @ziarist (which me and him have discussed already).

In terms of characters though, if you can follow the example in the Fulgore move list for information where possible, that’d be great - I will format things myself but as long as things are coherently listed that’d make things so much easier for me.

My intention is to get as much information put into the guide by the beginning of S3 as possible if only to make the updating process as characters launch that much simpler.

I really appreciate any contributions - you don’t have to just work on characters, but the sections in the guide should give you some idea as to what I’m looking to achieve at the end (minus things like in-depth mechanics like Counterbreakers, Shadowcounters, etc which I might put into their own sections as well as being included in the Dojo Lessons).

You can find the testing version of the guide here:
The Killer Instinct Community Guide (Testing version)

If you have any questions, ask them here, or feel free to PM me and I’ll respond when I can.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Like

Sorry for the inconvenience that these condtant delays are causing. However I realized that I cannot do special moves alone and I must do pip canceling as well. I can’t do pip canceling without meter. I can’t do his meter without doing Shadows. I also can’t do pip canceling without giving examples and explaining them and each use. I am almost finished. I need to do the examples,their usage and how to use them,and explaining his reactor gauge. School is in the way so I will finish it Saturday and post it here on Sunday. Mix ups are being covered next week.

What I was trying to say in my original post was that you were fine as you are - I know you’re working on it and I don’t want to rush you too much - everyone has things to deal with that get in the way :smiley: - if you want help then please feel free to PM me and we can work through things if needs be.

Sorry if it seemed like I was trying to rush you, far from it.

How much information on Fulgore would you like? Basic moveset? Combo structure? Pip Cancels? Followups? Shadow Cancels? Ender Setups? Splat Setups? Pressure Strings? Normals? Spacing? You give me a list of what you want, I can probably pop most of it off the top of my head.

1 Like

I am done with specials and working on meter and pip cancels. Shadow moves are also done. Will be posting tommorrow.

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated. Anything that you can do that hasn’t been discussed by Sasuke (I’d suggest you two work together on this as he’s done a good job so far and your information will be invaluable as well).

@Sasuke99I
Thanks for the update, I look forward to reading/implementing it into the guide. I appreciate all the hard work you’re doing, particularly as I’m a Fulgore main currently.

To both of you and anyone else who reads through these posts, please feel free to write what you want to contribute, as long as it’s formatted correctly, and as long as the section it goes in is easy to determin. For example, Fulgore’s Pip cancelling will go in the combo trait section as that is what (if memory serves) his combo trait actually is.

If you check the headings you can see how the guide is structured which might help if you’re stuck.

@SightlessKombat Here ya go, this is everything I got for tips on him. I don’t have frame data, I just generally know what is positive and what isn’t without the numbers. Anything can be improved on if you wish. I do have a YouTube channel that has my original guide, you can use any of that as a reference if you wish as well. Also on the list you have, for his instinct you do not have the Pip charge which is HP + HK while in instinct. Charges 1 pip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyheMTxlEk4
Fulgore Move List: Controls are assumed player is facing to the right, or P1 for example.

Punch Specials:
D, DF, F - PlasmaBolt: Strength determines speed Light(Slow) - Heavy(Fast)
F, D, DF - PlasmaSlice DP: Light 1 Hit, Med 2 Hits, Heavy 3 Hits
D, DB, B - Eye Laser: Light Hits Low, Medium is neutral, Heavy Aims High

Kick Specials:
D, DF, F - Blade Dash: Strength determines distance, can be charged for better advantage on block and travel further
D, DB, B - PlasmaPort: Strength determines teleport in relation to screen position. Light goes left, Medium goes center, and heavy goes right. Even if you swap sides with your opponent, the teleports are still the same, heavy will always go right, light will always go left.

Shadow Moves:
Punch Shadows:
D, DF, F + Any 2 Punches - Shadow PlasmaBolt: Fires a 5 hit large bolt that beats all normal projectiles and Orchid’s Cats. Loses to Devastation Beam, Peacemaker. Trades with Most other Shadow projectiles.
F, D, DF + Any 2 Punches - Shadow PlasmaSlice: An invincible on startup 5 hit DP.
D, DB, B + Any 2 Punches - Shadow Eye Laser (Can be done in air) Out of combo this special pushes your opponent away, grounded version is relatively safe, can be shadow countered by fast travel shadows like Jago, Fulgore, Orchid, but will not get hit by slow ones like Triplax. The Air one can be canceled from a wiffed DP on block but characters with fast travel specials can still punish you so use wisely.

Kick Shadows:
D, DF, F - Shadow Blade dash: Is a projectile invincible special that travels further than full screen if your opponent is backing up. It goes a long way and can punish projectiles full screen if timed right. Travels slower than wind kick but very effective.
D, DB, B - Shadow PlasmaPort: Is a 0 frame startup for the initial teleport which is fully invincible but, the attack portion is slow on startup and can be stuffed if not used as an active punish. It can under some circumstances miss characters who travel forward during their attack. Swaps sides with opponent if used as a linker.

Unique Abilities:
Devastation Beam - D, DF, F + All 3 Punches: Fires a huge beam that hits 10 times and builds potential damage on hit or on block. Used to control an opponent to not jump, or keep them at bay for the zoning game. Scales dramatically if used during a combo, I believe it is best used after a wall splat since it is significantly less scaled than anywhere else.

Meter Traits:
Green: If you have all 4 green pips, your footsie game when walking forward is improved. You walk much faster.
Yellow: If you have all 4 yellow pips, your footsie game is once again improved. You walk much faster backwards.
Red: With full meter both of your dashes are dramatically improved. Back dash distance is nearly doubled and faster, forward dash is faster and can be held to travel nearly 3-4 character lengths and can be canceled into a throw.

Command Normals:
F + HP - Axis slash: Fulgore’s form of double round house. Can be spaced so only 1 hit lands to be harder to shadow counter and canceled into specials.
B + HP - Gravity Strike: Fulgore’s overhead, slower normal but can be canceled into light laser on block for a high low mixup.

Combo Trait:
Auto Triples - By pressing your auto double button a second time Fulgore will attack with a 3rd spin speed building hit applied right to his auto double. His Lights are both the same speed for all 3 hits, His medium punches are slightly faster than his medium kicks, and his heavy kicks are slightly faster than his heavy punches for the 3rd hit only. The rest of his auto doubles are the same amount of time. So if you want more hits on a lockout, use heavy kick, if you want more time to drag out someones instinct meter, use heavy punches on round end.

Tips/Notes:
As a Fulgore player myself, raw teleporting can have it’s advantages but, his teleports are never safe under any circumstances if your opponent has done nothing unless you put in extra effort to make it safe. Examples would be teleporting in place for a mixup, or throwing a projectile as some cover. Even the shadow one isn’t safe. If you want pressure strings, use lasers, if you want to go for a throw setup or dp frame trap use blade dashes, but remember, they are unsafe on block but can allow you to block in time if you use the light one in a pressure string. If they don’t press a button, then your dp cancel could be blocked.

His timing for manuals is the same for both of his linkers, use that to your advantage to keep your linker game harder to read. He does not have a Heavy Kick manual in combo. It will cause a hard knockdown regardless of where you use it. He only has a heavy punch manual.

Pip canceling fireballs can be both good and bad. Keep an eye on your meter, you’ll know when a Fulgore is a bit of a masher since they will randomly fire 2 or 3 projectiles rather than just the 1. You have to be aware since it doesn’t require a directional input to throw the second or 3rd, just a button press. You have to be in control of Fulgore to control the match. If you lose control it can be hard to get the match back in your favor.

To be the best Fulgore you can, you have to build up both a strong neutral game/pressure game, and work on a strong zoning game and knowing how to keep the space between you. If you are good at both, you can frustrate your opponent into making easy mistakes for you to capitalize on. Eventually you will feel like you can force them right where you want them and you will get it there. Once you do though, you have to keep them there.

1 Like

Thanks very much for that. I won’t start implementing that information until tomorrow at least and I’ll have to do a little tweaking to get it in line with the rest of the guide - the ddff and d db b motions can be converted into qcf and qcb motions (as far as I remember) for easier reading/comprehension.

Again, thanks very much for throwing that around - not sure what @sasuke99i will think has he’s done some work as well on pretty much the same things (which I haven’t seen at this stage)

I just put it all here for you. You can change it into whatever format you need to =) I just looked at what you had for inputs on top of the page and used those as my format.

Fair enough. FYI, if you look a little further down that sectino, you’ll see I put in information about QCF and QCB. But I’ll work on that later, your help is much appreciated.

Just wanted to say I’ve started editing your information to format it correctly etc. to clarify, with a Shoryuken motion, is it equivalent to F+QCF+buttons? If so, that’s what I’ll write in the guide, just wanted to check.

If I recall,the Shoryuken motion can be inputed as forward+quarter circle but it adds an extra input. It is forward+down+foward. Basically forward+qcf but without doing the forward at the end. It still works though. Also delay(promise this is the last one) because of a suprise school project. Almost done. I am extremely sorry about these infinite delays.

Don’t worry, it’s fine. At least you’ve kept me informed and you’re doing a large amount of work. I’d suggest you check the information that mosquito provided above as well so that you havne’t over done things (as in you’ve not done content that’s already been done, but other information related to that content would be good). The lag is real :smiley: Good luck.

It’s your guide =) I just made what I could for you to copy paste and alter as needed. The finished product should be very nice. It’s a great idea that you’re doing for the community. It will be much appreciated.

@SightlessKombat Under the guide where you listed Fulgore’s projectiles, you listed Light as the fastest and Heavy as the slowest, it is the opposite, light is the slowest heavy is the fastest.

Thanks for the heads up, modified and corrected that mistake. :slightly_smiling:

Oh in case you are wondering,I haven’t put the stuff because some stuff might change in S3. Do I post what I have or wait till S3 and post an updated version?

Eye Laser:Eye Laser is one of Fulgore’s tools that can be used in many ways. The direction this attacked is aimed at and the distance is determined by the strength you use.
Qcb+Lp(Opener):This is the light Eye Laser. It shoots a laser at the floor right next to him. 12 start up frames,1 active frame,and 14 frames of recovery. It is +4 on hit and -1 on block. This move hits low. Since it can be canceled from most normals,this makes it a great option if you want to mix up the opponent and hit them low. This move is really fast so it is hard to react to. This is extremely great to use when canceled from his Back+Hp due to being a very fast high-low mixup. You can use this in many block strings as it is fast and safe. I recommend you use this move often as it is great as an opener.
Qcb+Mp(Opener):This is the medium Eye Laser.It shoots a laser straight forward for a descent amount of distance. 13 start up frames,1 active frame,and 14 frames of recovery. It is +3 on hit and -2 on block. This moves pushes back the opponent. This move is really fast and one of the best if you want to dominate the mid-screen space. It is really fast so it is hard to react to. I recommend you use this move to end block strings as it gives you space and it is safe.
Qcb+Hp:This is the heavy Eye Laser. It shoots a laser at an upwards angle. 14 start up frames,1 active frame,and 14 frames of recovery. It is +58 on hit and +0 on block. This moves hits at an upwards angle. It cannot hit a grounded opponent unless you are right next to them. This move is a great ranged anti-air. Use it when you are too far to use Plasma Slice. I recommend you use this move on incoming opponents from the air but are out of Plasma Slice distance. You can use Energy Bolt and when they jump,you can use the heavy Eye Laser. To zone. This move is also great for Juggles.
Qcb+2p:This is the shadow Eye Laser. It uses 4 pips of meter. It shoots burst of lasers rapidly across the ground for a total of 5 hits. Each laser is 5.2 frames start up,1 active frame,and 12 frames of recovery. It is +5 on hit and -3 on block. You can use this to end block strings but I do not recommend you use this move at all as you are better off using your meter better uses. Never use the air version unless it can kill the opponent. The landing recovery is huge and you can easily be punished.
Blade Dash:The Blade Dash is one of the tools Fulgore has to close up the distance. The distance depends on which version you use. You can also charge it up for better frame advantage and distance.
Qcf+Lk(Opener):This is the light Blade Dash. This moves Fulgore a short distance forward. This is the heavy Eye Laser. It shoots a laser at an upwards angle. 7 start up frames,8 active frame,and 29 frames of recovery. It is +2 on hit and -2 on block. You can use this to end block strings and close up the distance slightly. I recommend you use this to fake out a heavy Blade Dash at full screen to bait out an attack and then use the heavy version to move in and punish the attack.
Qcf+Mk(Opener):This is the medium Blade Dash. This moves Fulgore about half a screen distance. 9 start up frames,9 active frame,and 9 frames of recovery. It is +3 on hit and -3 on block. You can use this to end block strings and close the distance. I recommend you use this move at midscreen to close the distance and fake out a heavy blade dash while moving up close at the same time.
Qcf+Hk(Opener):This is the heavy Blade Dash. This moves Fulgore forward by slightly less than full screen distance. 11 start up frames,15 active frame,and 30 frames of recovery. It is +4 on hit and -4 on block. You can use this to end block strings and close the distance entirely. I recommend you to use this to move in close when needed. Do not do this far away as you can be easily punished. Instead do an Energy Bolt to cover you and then use this to close up the distance. You can also fake it out with the other versions and then use it to punish.
Qcf+2k: This is the shadow Blade Dash. It uses 4 pips from your meter. This moves go through projectiles and full screen. 3.3 start up frames,1 active frame,and 18 frames of recovery. It is +5 on hit and -1 on block. You can use this move to upclose to the opponent and punish opponents when they are using projectiles. Be careful not to use this move on an opponent with meter as they can shadow counter.
Energy Bolt:The Energy Bolt is one of the tools Fulgore has to zone the opponent from a distance. You can use this to apply pressure from far away. This move is great for making yourself safe and for teleport mix-ups(will go over later).
Qcf+Lp:This is the light Energy Bolt. This moves throws out a fireball that goes slowly. 1 start up frames,0 active frame,and 1 frames of recovery. It is +3 on hit and -6 on block. You can use this to bait the opponent to jump and then punish with an anti-air. It can also be used as cover as you go in closer for a mix up and even teleport mix-ups. You can use this to extend block strings and juggles.
Qcf+Mp:This is the medium Energy Bolt. This moves throws out a fireball that goes at a fairly descent speed. 14 start up frames,0 active frame,and 7 frames of recovery. It is -1 on hit and -8 on block. You can use this to bait the opponent to jump and then punish with an anti-air. It can also be used as cover as you go in closer for a mix up and even teleport mix-ups if you time the distance right. You can use this to extend block strings.
Qcf+Hp:This is the heavy Energy Bolt. This moves throws out a fireball that goes very fast. 14 start up frames,0 active frame,and 12 frames of recovery. It is 0 on hit and -5 on block. You can use this to bait the opponent to jump and then punish with an anti-air. It is very be used as cover as you go in closer for a mix up and even teleport mix-ups are difficult. You can use this to extend block strings and juggles. One use of this is for mix-ups after a Devestation beam.
Qcf+2p:This is the shadow Energy Bolt. This moves throws out a fireball that hits 5 times. 5.2 start up frames,0 active frame,and 4 frames of recovery. It is +109 on hit and -11 on block. You can use this to juggle the opponent. I would not recommend this move to be used though.
Plasmaport:This is one of Fulgore’s mobility tools. He can use it to teleport to a certain side of the screen. This move can be used for mix-ups,closing the distance,and escaping. It is screen relative.
Qcb+Lk:This is the light Plasmaport. This move teleports you to the left of the screen.
Qcb+Mk:This is the medium Plasmaport. This move teleports you to the middle of the screen.
Qcb+Hk:This is the heavy Plasmaport. This move teleports you to the right of the screen.
Qcb+2k:This is the shadow Plasmaport. This move teleports you behind the opponent and does a 5 hitting blade drill attack. 10.10 start up frames,14 active frame,and 27 frames of recovery. It is +5 on hit and -4 on block. You can use this to punish fireballs and whiffed moves that are far away.
Plasma Slice:This is Fulgore’s anti-air special move and an invincible reversal. Use this to get the opponent off of you.
Dp+Lp:This is the light Plasma Slice. This propels you into the air and hit the opponent once. 2 start up frames,8 active frame,and 40 frames of recovery. It knocks the opponent down and EXTREMELY UNSAFE ON BLOCK SO DON’T ■■■■■■■ DO IT IF YOU AREN’T SURE IT WILL HIT OR IF YOU DON’T HAVE A SOLID READ. It is great for anti-airs and wake-ups.
Dp+Mp:This is the medium Plasma Slice. This propels you into the air and hit the opponent twice. 2 start up frames,8 active frame,and 44 frames of recovery. It knocks the opponent down and EXTREMELY UNSAFE ON BLOCK SO DON’T ■■■■■■■ DO IT IF YOU AREN’T SURE IT WILL HIT OR IF YOU DON’T HAVE A SOLID READ. It is great for anti-airs and wake-ups.
Dp+Hp:This is the heavy Plasma Slice. This propels you into the air and hit the opponent 3 times. 2 start up frames,8 active frame,and 49 frames of recovery. It knocks the opponent down and EXTREMELY UNSAFE ON BLOCK SO DON’T ■■■■■■■ DO IT IF YOU AREN’T SURE IT WILL HIT OR IF YOU DON’T HAVE A SOLID READ. It is great for anti-airs and wake-ups.
Dp+2p:This is the shadow Plasma Slice. This propels you into the air and hit the opponent 5 times. 3 start up frames,4 active frame,and 49 frames of recovery. It knocks the opponent down and EXTREMELY UNSAFE ON BLOCK SO DON’T ■■■■■■■ DO IT IF YOU AREN’T SURE IT WILL HIT OR IF YOU DON’T HAVE A SOLID READ. It is great for anti-airs and wake-ups. It is a great damage attack.

Meter:Fulgore has a special meter called the reactor gauge. It has multiple parts so I will be going over it one at a time. The first part is the reactor circle. It is the spinning circle. The faster it spins,the faster the reactor loading bar fills up. You can increase the speed by landing non-energy attacks. It slows down when you use energy attacks(lasers and fireballs). The reactor-loading bar fills up slowly or quickly depending on how fast your reactor circle is spinning. When it is filled up,it restarts and you gain one pip. THe meter has 10 sections. These sections are called pips. One pip is filled when the reactor loading bar is filled. The meter is divided into 3 sections called compartments. Red,yellow,and green. Green is the first compartment with 4 pips. It gets filled first. Yellow is the second with 4 pips. Red is the last with 2 pips. When each one is full,you get access to a certain mobility buff. You use 4 pips to do a shadow move. You also get a certain suprise with all compartment filled.(coming later)

Pip Canceling:Pip canceling is canceling one special into another using pips. Fulgore can pip cancel one special into another. You do a special and cancel into another special for a pip. It can be used for multiple things. I will give you some pip canceling suggestions right now.
Light Energy Bolt into a Plasmaport:This is a great mix uptool. This uses one pip.
Energy Bolt into Plasmaslice:This is a great way to zone. When the opponent jumps above the fireball,they will get uppercutted. This uses one pip.
Energy Bolt into more Energy Bolts:This is a way to shoot up to 3 Energy Bolts in a row. Each additional fireball uses a pip.
Energy Bolt into Light Laser:You can add a laser after a close ranged Energy Bolt for additional pressure.
They are many more for you to find out. Go to the training room and experiment for yourself.

Devastation Beam(2Qcf+3p):This is a very powerful move. It uses 10 pips so it is devastating. It shoots a giant laser from Fulgore’s chest. It is great for punishing jumps and pretty much anything. It does 30% damage and 10% potential damage. If you can land a combo after the beam to cash-out the potential damage.you can do almost 80% damage. It is also called the Hype Beam by fans.

Thanks for this information. I can’t say when this will be put into the guide, but I’ll try and let you know when it’s up.