Fighting Game Nostalgia - thread for non-current FGs

I disagree, exclusives can and do move systems, we’ve seen it happen over the years many times, but it’s not the only thing that moves, or halts the sales, of systems. Image and mob-mentality are another very huge things, and Microsoft’s image was generally very poor at that period.

1 Like

I really want to read and hear about everyone’s favorite games that sadly aren’t around anymore or have been on a hiatus. We have so many FG fans in this thread. Please share vids, sketches, magazine prints :smile: etc! whatever you can find.

I think this was true once upon a time. And certainly exclusives are what keep Nintendo in business - but I think they are the exception. I think the majority of purchasers are buying a box to play CoD, or GTAV. Certainly I bought an Xbox to play KI - so there are people out there, but enough to win or lose the console war? I think the exclusive library of games MS vs Sony is overrated as far as sales impact for hardware. Maybe that’s not a trend and it was just the reality for the current generation at launch. But I’m guessing it’s a larger trend.

Of course, this is all just personal speculation so it comes with the grainiest grain of salt.

It would be interesting to see how the number of people with both/all systems this gen compares to earlier. I had both last gen but just felt I couldn’t justify a PS4 this gen. My feeling is that most people felt that you didn’t need both systems.

Oh, I didn’t say it’d be enough to win a console war, I’m simply saying that exclusives can, and of course do, move systems. But that’s a single factor of several that ultimately sell larger number of consoles.

Last generation as well, I recall seeing it said a great many times that the two most popular and staple franchises were Call of Duty and Madden NFL Football. Both titles were on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, though Microsoft had an exclusive deal with Activision for timed-exclusivity on DLC for Call of Duty.

Microsoft won last generation’s console war.

This generation, Sony has said exclusive deal at last check. They’re winning this generation’s console war.

Again, I don’t think exclusivity alone makes the winner and sells the bulk of systems, but it is a part of it.

Street x Tekken was the game I always wanted but unfortunately for me it was also quite common back then to experiment with new stuff in versus games and SXT was no exception.

The reveal trailer and live reaction is my fondest memory of this game. It’s probably the reason I bought it.

My expectation was that it would be a competitive fighting game staying true to its street fighter roots and gameplay as shown in the trailer.

As soon as I saw the gem system I was already disappointed, even though the tag system had gotten me hyped up. It was after they introduced this gem bases system that I never bought a Capcom game outright anymore. The dlc controversy wasn’t even a thing for me but it didn’t help the game’s image.

The MvC series was too chaotic for me so I had sort of hoped for a less chaotic game…And, although I ended up buying SFxT game twice, so no lack of support from me there, I never played the game more than a combined 20 hours or so.

It was not the gems eventually but something indirectly related, and silly perhaps, as not being able to enjoy the color palettes and awesome designs of each character because the gem system not only changed attributes but also meant characters flashed green, red or yellow every few seconds. I found that too bad as I was never able to enjoy the cool designs as there was always this green or yellow color filter over a character. It was a total waste of their cell shaded look imo, and I just didn’t find the game pleasant to look at and therefore spent most of my time in character viewer where these was no constant flashing of characters. Really silly, I know, but I always was more of a single player mode player. Enjoying the artwork and design has always been a selling point for me.

SFxT was the game I wanted to master but it’s failure led me to KI and eventually this community! So I guess all ended up well :sweat_smile:

Amazing artwork

Worthy of a comeback

@Iago407 I never knew there was a Star Wars fighting game. That’s awesome.

1 Like

Apparently, a whole thread went on about this game with @KRAKENJIMMY

Great addition to this thread lol

Max with some cool FG history lessons on MvC2

I wanna try this game.

1 Like

I loved BioFreaks. Dark Rift as well. They looked good for their time. Dark Rift had a pretty awesome score.

I always got a kick out of BioFreaks. There was one character that had a one hit kill attack. Certainly not balanced in anyway shape or form. :rofl:

2 Likes