Eyedol Discussion & Poll (unique)

Okay, I can’t believe I’m stepping into this mess, but here goes…

I am ambivalent about Eyedol. Primarily because I hate boss characters, and honestly Eyedol was pretty much quarter stealing garbage in KI. I appreciate the Harryhausen aesthetic, and I like Eyedol more than Gargos, but it doesn’t really matter to me whether they bring him back or not.

I think they are pretty well between a rock and a hard place on this one. @xCrimsonLegendx you say they don’t have to bring him back exactly the same, but lets be honest. Every single character in the new KI has a “I hate the new xxxxx” thread on this forum. Any deviation at all from the original is savaged by the so-called fans. From major details to minor - Cinder’s fingers to Tusk’s loincloth. No matter how good (and generally well liked) the new design is (Orchid, Maya, Tusk) there’s people just hammering on how awful it is. So, now let’s look at Eyedol.

Is there room in this game for a half satyr, two headed, Cyclops, horned, club wielding monster? Er… maybe. But it’s really hard to see where this fits in the KI 2013 universe. And if the devs aren’t feeling the love, and they try to make a change I can guarantee that all the people on here begging for Eyedol will go bonkers. No two heads? FAIL! No horns? FAIL! No club? FAIL! Normal legs? FAIL! Each minor tweak accompanied by cries of “I can’t believe they did this to KI!” So asking them to do that for a boss character that they just aren’t that into is maybe a lot.

7 Likes

As an Eyedol fan I’m OK with with them changing all but 2 things, two-heads, and cyclops. Those two things are first things mentioned whenever he’s brought up in any conversation.

“Who is Eyedol?”

He’s a two-headed cyclops that…blah blah blah.

My friend even stopped me when I started going further and said, “Wait, what?! How does that work?”

From where I sit, that is what makes people more interested to know more about him. Frankly, that’s pretty much all he needs to “stay true” to what he was, in my eye…s.

5 Likes

Way to attack him guys. He only asked why you like Idol and shared his opinion. Don’t get sand in your Zagina.

He is indeed a garbage looking character. He also plays like garbage. I too want to know what’s so special about him besides being a boss character. What role does he fill that Gargos does not?

1 Like

Imo there needs to be another option for those who never played/fought Eyedol and is just interested how IG can recreate Eyedol into somethings better than he was before.

Now onto my opinions about Eyedol. I think he needs a big redesign in terms of both background, moveset(obviously) and model. Like…cinder or glacius size. i would go into bigger details explaining why and what I would like to see but I have to get ready to leave the house soon…I will probably edit this or make a new post depending on how much other people post

1 Like

first things first, Eyedol is the boss from the first KI.

I’m not interested in having Eyedol brought back for the following reasons.

First he would have to undertake some major redesign, which means he will only be Eyedol by name and a moveset barely resembling anything that we know of Eyedol.

So really what’s the point? In KI1 he had like 1-2 moves, so he wouldn’t retain much of anything he had.

Second, because of the first reason, this forum would be flooded with people crying for the end of the world because they butchered Eyedol, because he’s not Eyedol of old.

Just look at the Cinder, Glacius, Thunder and the list goes on reveals.

Every single reveal there’s a bunch of complaining about how he’s not the same (most recently Tusk).

You can’t please everyone and because I feel Eyedol would only be associated to the old character by name there’s no point in having him at all.

Would rather they have freedom of creation and focus on a brand new character vs breaking their heads on how they can make Eyedol work based on the old design in a new age of KI.

8 Likes

Cinder was a totally generic guy-in-flames.
New Cinder it’s at least trying(and IMO, achieving) to be something more, an altered human with alien DNA and a contention suit for his new form, a living plasma/fire character.
But devs were really smart here: They knew that this would be a huge change to some people, who wanted a guy-in-flames. And nothing more. So they used one “risky new” design to regular Cinder, and give him his original appearance in his retro.

BRILLIANT. Everyone it’s happy.

We can use this example with Glacius, a really loyal to his former self in his retro, a new design in his normal outfit. Same as Maya, Spinal…

Well, Eyedol can use this. Retro: Harryhousean monster. Normal outfit: A “doom inspired” demon with two heads. As many say, I think 2 heads and cyclops are a must, satyr legs and club can be different. Use his accesories to get creative.For example:
Head: One eye in each head, Two eyes in each head, a “capra demon” for each head, Helmet with one hole in each head
Weapon: Club, sword, giant mace, giant bone
Legs: Satyr legs, reptile legs, insect legs, velociraptor legs(lol)

We can see in Arbiter the same type of articulations that Eyedol could use. The art creatives in this game are awesome, and all characters have incredible designs. I have no doubt that Eyedol can be done being awesome.

If the problem is the gameplay, I’m even more stunned with some people not wanting him. Glacius it’s totally different from his original gameplay. Same with Maya, Kim Wu, Thunder… All characters have something that recalls their former selfs, but they are reworked! And Eyedol can be reworked too.

Give him a “leap jump” or a charge move, a “home run” sweep, and make his taunt the same(without healing, only in appearance). The rest of his moveset can be creative.

Make him a brawler, with a lot of moves that cause wall splats and groundbounces, making you the ballon of a freaking huge monster.

Give him an special meter that fills when he use a determinated ender. Call it “Shadow Rage”. When he fully fills it, his next “leap” will be unblockable. Make it really unsafe otherwise. Now you have a situationally unstoppable monster that makes you run out of his blows.

I’m no @tempuschaoti or @thekeits, I’m sure they and their teams have better ideas than me in both art design and gameplay design. 22 amazing characters, from Jago to Tusk, are proof enough. I’m totally sure they can create a unique and awesome Eyedol for everyone of us.

Not wanting Eyedol “because he was cheap” seems a poor reason for me, he wont be the same, and not wanting him because design issues also seems a bad reason, he was UNIQUE, and some of the already present characters in the game were very “generic”, and they are all AWESOME with their new design, both gameplay and appearance wise.

I’m waiting for Eyedol since I knew about the KI launch in Xbox One. I have been a fan of the franchise since forever. I know IG and MS can make an awesome Eyedol as they did with the rest of the cast.

I can only wait…

6 Likes

One of the best Eyedol redesigns out there. I could totally see this guy in the new KI.

14 Likes

To people that think Eyedol is cheap designed, can we talk about how awesomely original Gargos is (/sarcasm)?
And we have lots of signs he is coming back. He will obviously get a new crazy ultimate design so why couldn’t Eyedol get the same.

11 Likes

so eyedol had a green projectile, a club smash and he had a run mechanic? oh man I forgot that hoof stomp that replenishes his life bar. it’s been so long I forgot what his move set was.

Gargos had similar moves right? did he have a fly pick you up and smash against ground move? I know he had in air projectile, an upward heavy swipe. I think he had a crouching lunge like wulfs. oh and the lifebar filling taunt again.

if IG don’t work on fan Kickstarters this seasons gonna be so so. I’m telling y’all right now SE3 is releasing with 80% of its content for the year. you guys thought it was a rough wait before… lol

Eyedol, to this day, is my favorite boss in any fighting game. Obviously his moves, like every other returning character in the game, would be updated and more balanced. Can’t wait to see him in S3.

I never liked Gargos. at all. He was just a big bald naked baby with wings. I have no doubt IG updated the hell out of him to make him cool now though.

1 Like

Remember that there is something called a redesign

4 Likes

Exactly. I dont know why people suddenly forget redesigns and changes when talking about eyedol

7 Likes

Yes thats happened to almost every original character but so what? People just like complaining.

2 Likes

[quote=“xCrimsonLegendx, post:18, topic:5994, full:true”]
You seem to think that the new version of Eyedol would be the exact same as he was back then, he would be redesigned with a fully suite of moves and balanced for the new game. People don’t want a “two move” character to return, they love the idea of Eyedol, they love the character, not his half-assed boss moveset.

EVERY character in the old KI looked like crap, Jago was a plastic “ninja” with random stupid looking slices across all of his clothing that defied gravity, Spinal was LITERALLY a ripoff of the stop motion skeletons from Sinbad, Orchid looked like her breasts were actually bananas under her unitard. How about YOU take off the nostalgia glasses, every KI character looked like ■■■■ back then, don’t single out Eyedol since you don’t like him because I could sit here all day and give you examples of how downright stupid the original designs were.

Give IG and MS some credit they could take Eyedol and make him into something fantastic. The artists for KI managed to take a dozen goofy looking 90s characters and make them into relevant designs, Eyedol would be no different.
[/quote]I mostly agree with this…would like to point out a few things though…mostly nitpicks:

-quick correction: Spinal was from Jason & the Argonauts. One of his prototype names was even going to be Argo, I believe. His music was even pretty much a blatant ripoff from the movie.

-quick addition: Another issue with the original Jago was he was really bad at getting in close…he pretty much only had his wind kick to get in close which had a pretty slow startup & if it got blocked…may God have mercy on your soul. The new wind kick was a huge improvement, but funny thing is it’s still his only real gap-closing move. & that’s just one example. All the rest of the cast has had similar retools, so it wouldn’t be a stretch to say Eyedol would have the same rebalance.

please stop call eyedol & gargos, THEY MUST BE BACK AS ALL OLD CHARS.

STOP CALLING IT, IT’S A FACT

they must be back:

• because are a part of KI story and franchise
  • because they act a main role in the story… heck, they are 2 bosses
  • because this is a reboot and among all other chars we have them too, otherwise this wouldn’t be a reboot
  • all chars were ridiculously designed, not only them 2. what we need is keep their basic design, story, features and develop it to get complete chars for the game, expanding the story for justify the main changes and without forgetting a retrò version.
4 Likes

While my history with Eyedol was me going against him at the end of the ladder, I think he should be ijn this KI. I say this because he has fans who want him in. Its not because of nostalgia, I always welcome the return of a character.
Besides, I went through that feeling of disappointment when Riptor was not in KI2

4 Likes

I never played any Killer Instinct games until I got KI S1 & S2 this past December, and I believe he should come back. Why? Because every other original/old school/classic character from KI or KI2 is getting a chance to be in this new game, and Eyedol deserves the same IMO. If he doesn’t come back, he will literally be the only original character not getting another chance (Assuming Gargos is in)

Like you TC, I have no nostalgia for the old games since I didn’t play them as a kid, and to be quite honest, most of the characters looked bad in those games IMO. Hell, Spinal looked pretty damn bad, nothing unique or interesting about him, just a generic skeleton with some weapons, a headband and like some spiked gauntlets…and DH/IG managed to make him my favorite character in the series in this game. They have made every character look great, they posses the creativity to make Eyedol look amazing too.

#Eyedol2016 :wink:

5 Likes

Riptor bros. Unite!

2 Likes

As far as I know, the devs wanna keep Eyedol out of the game, too. So don’t worry too much, TC.