Eyedol Discussion & Poll (unique)

I completely forgot about this thread. Now we are at 180+ votes! Awesome.

Changed my mind about closing the thread.

WHAT IF Eyedol actually are the ancient king of Babylon?

Combo Breaker ??? I mean Hype.

1 Like

That will be cool! Imagine Aganos seeing Eyedol, and have to fight him to protect the world?

But
 How? The Babylonian King was mentioned as a human, how he could transform into Eyedol? And how he will be a Rival to Gargos since he was just a human?

2 Likes

Good point. However! Maybe the Babylonian King knew that Aganos was not able to finish the job of killing Kan Ra. He was powerful enough somehow to procure Aganos, so perhaps with that same power, he was able to have himself turned into a warlord (perhaps similar to an “idol” of his own) to go and hunt Kan Ra himself.

Babylonian King suddenly becomes “Eyedol”, and now with a greater amount of power, he ends up making equally powerful adversaries - like Gargos.

2 Likes

Yeah, that will make sense, but
 If Eyedol is the Babylonian King, then what exactly happens in the ancient battle that happen with Gargos? (Because the story mentioned that “Gargos will return to Earth”, so is not the first time that Gargos invade Earth)

What if Eyedol is a “mixture” of many demons and creatures that UT found in the portal that was opened using Glacius’s Tech, and then somehow, the soul of Babylonian King is inside of Eyedol? (Something like Ermac that have the soul of Shao Kahn in MKX)
:confused:[quote=“MainSteam8, post:206, topic:5994”]
Maybe the Babylonian King knew that Aganos was not able to finish the job of killing Kan Ra
[/quote]
But
 The Babylonian King was dying when he send Aganos to hunt down Kan-Ra, right?

Even if the King managed to survive, why he never found Aganos again in those years? Also, where he was in all those years? We know that Kan-Ra was captured and burned alive by the Night Guard. We know that Aganos was “resting” when he found out that Kan-Ra was “destroyed”. But what about the King? Since he is a King, he probably would want to “rule” something
 but what?

Also, the King is
 well, a king! He probably have a kingdom to rule, I don’t think that he will leave his own kingdom away just to destroy Kan-Ra, since he already send Aganos for this
 :confused:

But how a golem automaton could recognize his master in such a beastly form?

What if one head is the babylonian King and the other a demon in which the king has pretty much lost his conciousness to the demon but can still faintly remember himself. His body and soul were used by gargos initial meddling of earth.

1 Like

Aganos’s Backstory said that Aganos’s soul is from Astral Plane and
 Gargos is also from the Astral Plane! So, maybe they know each other?

In my opinion, some context is necessary (at least to explain where I come from with my views about Eyedol).

Whatever the reason(s) could be, if you’ve never experienced KI1 back in the days at the arcades, then it is understandable that one wouldn’t want him back. However, excluding nostalgia alone, Eyedol was TRULY terrifying to fight. And I’m specifically referring to the arcade version, because on the SNES he just wasn’t done justice (small sprites, less animation frames, bad sound design, smaller size, etc). I played KI1 regularly enough back in 1994 / '95, up to around early '96 at my local arcade (they kept the exact same cabinet for a good 2 years or so). As a final boss, he was making some of the players trying to beat him sweat with anxiety at the thought of him getting remotely close to your character. Just watch some MAME emulator footage of the arcade version on YouTube and specifically look for Eyedol fights to see how fast he could be (and usually was). That’s of course excluding his ridiculous damage output (normal, he’s a boss). He would DESTROY anyone in a matter of seconds (sometimes as little as 2 or 3 seconds) if you dared looking away for one second, or blinked at the screen. He could just stand there seemingly doing nothing, but you’d still nervously and carefully move forward just a bit, and then stop, that’s because you’d know that Eyedol being the crazy mind-trickster troll that he was could suddenly sprint at you faster than a bolt of lighting and the next thing you know you’re up 10 meters in the air with 60% HP gone while he’s just below stomping the ground regenerating his health.

Of course, many players ‘mastered’ his patterns (he really didn’t have much patterns to memorize from what I was told, and I myself never really noticed anything that predictable when I did manage to beat him a few times) and could beat him with their eyes closed. But that’s the thing, it’s the big point. What made Eyedol a great KI character as a boss wasn’t that he was difficult (he could be, if you were not careful, but that would have applied against Spinal or Fulgore as well
 especially Spinal), it really wasn’t about the difficulty (or lack thereof for some veteran players). No, what made him unique was his menacing presence, he was imposing and genuinely terrifying especially for the newcomers or the casual players who only occasionally even made it to Eyedol to start with (or had enough pennies to get there by brute force and money attrition, much to the delight of the arcades’ owner).

Now, something important to consider, but I suppose that’s my opinion more than anything else: KI1 has NOT aged well at all. Both as a fighting game per se, but also visually. The characters (and Eyedol’s) scale to start with compared to today’s screen / monitor size standards is just completely off track and outdated. And even though KI1 was visually breathtaking for a good 2 or 3 years (perhaps more in the eyes of the true lovers of the game) after its release, Eyedol’s appearance (much like all other characters, and just the overall look of the game) hasn’t aged well at all. Today, he looks rather bad and brings no intimidating presence on the screen whatsoever. If one looks at him today, in its 22 years-old form, then of course the impression you could easily get is “Why in the great heck would anyone want THAT thing in the new KI?!”. That’s perfectly normal. I’d react like that too if I was in the shoes of someone who’d have never experienced KI1 originally at the arcades.

Now, if Eyedol was to be created for this new KI, he would obviously go through a near-complete visual and perhaps even physiological overhaul to fit with the new art style and standards for the game, by Iron Galaxy. He would probably keep the dual heads “feature”, but I can bet you that the rest would drastically change, and that only his Retro costume (with accessories perhaps) will probably make him look “almost exactly” like he was in KI1 (then again that might not be the case, considering how some existing characters don’t actually really look like their Retro selves such as Sabrewulf for example, who looks like a shaved rat more than anything else, compared to how he REALLY looked like in KI1), but his default [new] appearance would be mostly new. Now, to start with, a modernized take on his appearance alone would probably help bring some more desire for his return. Beyond his appearance (and his on-screen size, which would have to be equally imposing and intimidating as it was back in KI1, for example on an Aganos size level, or comparable to it), his fighting “style” would obviously have to be reworked. He wouldn’t just use the very repetitive club combos or his “famous” (or infamous depending on how many times you got your arse handed over by it) charge / sprint attack. I do suppose that those “trademark (memorable) moves” would be kept intact, but might only be used in Instinct mode for example (that’s of course only if Instinct would apply to him, who knows, maybe he wouldn’t even have an Instinct meter). If he’d be given a new weapon, then he might fight significantly differently.

The gist of all this is: Eyedol CAN have a place in this new KI if – IF – he’d be reworked properly to fit in with the rest, and balanced enough to be playable.

Now, I am of the school of thought that if Eyedol comes back that he should NOT be a playable character, and should remain a final boss. That way, the intimidating aspect of him would remain intact (there would be nothing intimidating about a character that everyone can play and kick your arse with on a daily basis). My problem with Eyedol returning to this new KI is indeed that he’d be playable. Honestly, I don’t want that. I DO want to see him come back as a final boss, period. That, for me, would bring me right back during the KI1 days when I knew that the game actually had a boss to throw at you, not like this new KI’s Aria (and soon to be Gargos I guess). A very similar thing happened with Mortal Kombat (1 and 2 mostly), because at the time Goro truly was a terror to fight (and to look at), as much as Shao Kahn was in MK2, and MK9 as well. In fact, has anyone watched the Boss Rage video with Maximillian Dude back when he raged at Shao Kahn? THAT is what I’m talking about, KI does NOT have anything like that. When you can’t access a character to play as, but you have to fight him to beat the game, you can truly consider him a boss. As of now, this new KI doesn’t have one in my book.

So, if Eyedol comes back as a playable character: I’m “ok” with that, but nothing more.
But, if Eyedol comes back as a non-playable final boss with mechanics specifically designed to be tough like a boss should be then: I’m 110% in.

1 Like

I’ll settle for nothing less than a fully realized character with his own moves, music, achievements, accessories, retro costume and devs permitting a stage. I don’t want a half-baked afterthought or an unplayable boss that does little more than remind us we can’t actually use him.

Thankfully IG isn’t like that though, if they’re going to spend time developing the character and invest that much effort he WILL be playable.

9 Likes

True! If the Babylonian King was dying, maybe he made a pact with a demon to still live on. The merge between him and the demon could become the entity we now know as Eyedol.

Maybe they could make a non-playable version of both Eyedol and Gargos with stronger and faster moves. Just like Shin Akuma/Bison from Street Fighter?

1 Like

I think Aganos Will became Eyedol with all the astral energy unleashed it’s bound to have an effect on him. Aganos will be able to reinvented himself into a new being.

That would be a real shame. I like Aganos as an original character. And I’d like Eyedol also to be unique in his own way, and not just an Aganos skin. :pensive:

1 Like
  1. Doesn’t have to be “just an Aganos skin”

2. Personally I think its perfect, Aganos between Aria and Gargos. Being both Mechanical and supernatural. Being the big boss of Earth and maintaining its balance.

3. As well as giving Eyedol decent motive to combat Gargos.

First of all, Eyedol was in KI1 so poll needs to be edited.

Secondly, I`d love to see Eyedol. Think about it: two headed half-cyclop half-minotaur, and done in 1994 with quite strict technology. Is not that impressive?

If you not remember, Gargos in KI2 was looking very bland and generic. Diablo 1 Balrogs were looking cooler than him.

I`m sure they can redesign Eyedol and give him brand new awesome moveset. They totally redesigned Tusk moveset and it worked (well, except of his PS2 face).

1 Like

I am a fan of Kaiju films. Eyedol is heavily inspiredd by Harryhausen films.

So i’d say it’s both a combination of nostalgia and design. I won’t say I think the design is for everyone, but I liked it in its simplicity. I’d welcome a redesign, but would like a classic costume that acurately depicts the old Harryhausen look.

I think a good redesign would be to make him a walking posessed statue, you know like an “Idol”. You could pay homage to the jerky unnatural Harryhausen Stop-Motion elements that way and it would make sense because it is a statue, it’s supposed to be stiff. The only problem is Aganos is at least part statue already.

I also remember that in the comics, Eyedol was King Kong huge. It would be cool if his size rivaled Aganos.

Yeah, from what I’ve played of him, which was alot, most of his moves were fast and heavy, but were extremely punishable on block. It wasn’t full-proof, but knowing that made fighting him a lot easier.

More theories
 Yeah, Make sense for Eyedol to have superior skills than Aganos assuming he was his master in the past. The fighting style of Aganos matches with Eyedol. But Eyedol still superior in every way and stroger than ever since he was a noble king turned in to a demonic being.

The king has known that in the nordic europe there was a almight race of demigods and immortal beings. The king once desired to become immortal too and started his quest wondering a way to escape from death forever and so enjoy the pleasure of be the king of all babylon. He has prepared a raid to kdnap some of these beings from Valhalla till Odin unveils the secret of the eternal life for him. Odin has made nothing and most of his sons and daughters has perished in the hands of the babylonian army. A second war has succeed and Valhalla was decimated and the babylonian king was very wounded. Brought back to babylon the king know he was about to die. But the king has been studying the secrets of his hatred vizier once known as Kan-Ra. The king conjures a demon in exchange of eternal life. But due to his bad comprehension of the Kan-Ra sorcery, the king has summoned a being that shouldnt been praised even for those who agonizes at the dephts of hell. The demon inhabits the body of the babylonian king and the result are a horrenduos abomination of two heads and satyr legs, carrying a weapon at his right hand that ressambles the babel tower.

they troll every one when they show goags and eyedoll will be in the intro then he gets rekted by goags then walkins on the map in say time to die eyedoll