Evo 2017 Reveal Stream is on Today

I’m not happy with this lineup, but really, the biggest question on my mind is…

Why BLAZBLUE? I tried to play it long ago, but I found it is no substitute for Guilty Gear, and now with a true modern Guilty Gear in Revelator 2 on the list, I find Blazblue to be even more of a bad choice. While I can see the logic in the selections of all the other 6 games (though I still hold objection to 2 smash games, but see the logic to it), I honestly can’t wrap my mind around the reasons for the inclusion of Blazblue.

1 Like

@developers So will the money from Kilgore’s community fund contribute anyway at all to this race to Evo?

1 Like

I personally find Blazblue much more entertaining to watch than Xrd. I really want to like watching GG, but if the dragon kicking chick or Jack-O aren’t on the screen, it just makes me bored :slight_frown:

My thoughts:
-I’ve been interested in Blazblue for a while, so maybe I could get into it cause of this. It would technically be my first “anime” fighter not counting Skullgirls which is basically Marvel.
-I love Smash, but even I think the community needs to get their act together and pick one game. I don’t care which but one series shouldn’t take 2 slots no matter what.
-OK, can we just talk about Inj2 for a minute. Why is it in over MKX? The game’s not even out yet, so not only will players in the tournament not be all that experienced by then, but we won’t even know if the game is good/works. Like, really? Come on, be logical here.
-Player’s Choice. Hahahahahaha please. Hate to be the pessimist, 75% of the games on that list don’t stand a chance, us included. I honestly couldn’t care at this point if KI makes it. We have Combo Breaker.

But hey, if I’m wrong about that last part and we win…cool.

3 Likes

We actually stand a chance. We have already rasied $920 which puts us in the lead. Edit:WE GOT MAX ON OUR SIDE WE GOT THIS. Lel. Max might play a real big factor in this.

1 Like

The Melee and Smash 4 communities are as different as possible. They share very few players, and they are entirely different games. That’s like saying Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter fans need to get together and pick one game.

I say this as a person who played tournament Melee for years and really dislikes Smash 4, and have friends on both sides of this.

Injustice 2 makes a lot of sense over MKX. You want things that are not stale, that have a chance to be explosive. A two month old game is usually really exciting to watch. Compare that to MKX, where you already know if you are interested in it or not.

I have absolutely zero interest in donating money to get my game of choice in at Evo, but I hope the communities that do care will get a good game in there. I think the only three possibilities are Marvel 3, Skullgirls, and KI. The others don’t have a chance, IMO.

Oh, I’ll also say that I think the Sunday finals roster really doesn’t interest me that much. I respect Tekken fans and it’s cool that they get a Sunday slot, but I don’t understand the game or really plan to watch. Blazblue is the only game that I’d be interested to watch live.

2 Likes

But ARMS :frowning: Lel

Sorry, it kinda piqued my curiosity here. Why do you dislike Smash 4 so much?

I find it boring, rigid, overly defensive, and lacking in creativity. Characters are not satisfying or fun to play, and they move like molasses. Edge guarding game is considerably lessened compared to Melee or Project M, in favor of dodge-heavy stray-hit footsies with no oomph or power behind them, and characters survive forever with a few exceptions. The level design is utterly, utterly terrible for tournaments, with only, like, 3 viable stages.

Melee has a top tier problem (which Project M solves, but alas, Nintendo gonna Nintendo), but it is a far more interesting, satisfying game where your choices have real consequences about living or dying. That, and there is a lot more interesting execution going on in Melee.

I greatly dislike Sakurai’s (and Nintendo’s) utter disdain for the competitive community, and I feel that while he and his team are great at making a casual-focused Smash with amazing soundtracks and graphics, he has next to 0 idea about what made Smash fun and interesting beyond that. I feel like he accidentally stumbled into Melee, and he took all the wrong lessons from that and made Brawl, one of the worst competitive games I have ever invested time into, and then only marginally improved for Smash 4.

2 Likes

I’m actually pretty good with the donate for your game concept. The money goes to charity, so even if KI doesn’t win I’ll at least know my money is going to a good cause. So yeah, I’m thinking I’ll donate right now, even though I have no intention of attending Evo this year.

I’m actually pretty good with the Sunday lineup. I really enjoy watching BB and I like Sm4sh (hate hate hate watching Melee), and while I think SFV can be a bit boring in long spurts I think its Top 8’s are usually pretty good. Only game on Sunday I’m genuinely “meh” on is Tekken 7. It just isn’t that interesting to me.

Understandable. Personally I’m more of a fan of Smash 4 but that’s mainly because I don’t play all that competitively so I really don’t know what it’s like to truly feel the hype of competitive Melee. (I want to but I just can’t) That and I can’t do things like wavedashing and L-canceling to save my friggin life (and that’s technically the BASICS you have to learn in competitive play!) With smash 4, I actually feel more like I can go up against the higher players with enough time and effort. With Melee, I feel like I have no chance at all no matter how hard I try.

Please don’t take it as me hating Melee as to me they are both are great games in their own right.

To be clear, I do not dislike anyone who finds Smash 4 to be their favorite game. If people are making friends and enjoying life by playing Smash 4, more power to them. It’s just a game I find worse than pulling teeth. I gave it an honest crack by watching (most of) the Smash 4 finals at Genesis last week. It took almost 4 hours for a top 8, without a grand finals reset, and without very many sets going the distance to 3-2.

I can understand if you weren’t a Melee player that watching Fox mirrors all the time is not that interesting. I don’t begrudge anyone for that decision. It’s why I wish Project M became more popular (and it was on the brink of doing so before Nintendo stepped in, some of the latter PM tournaments were getting as many or slightly more entrants than Melee right before PM was blacklisted by Nintendo). It was a game with the speed, interesting decision making, and intensity of Melee, but with 25 viable characters, all of them super interesting and fun.

Blazblue is cool, it’s the main game I would watch on Sunday.

SFV is… SFV. Season 2 is considerably more boring to watch than S1 (which was already pretty boring), just because there are so few defensive options now that there isn’t very much give or take between the characters. You do some footsies for a while and then one side just gives, gives, gives because they don’t have to respect the defense, regardless of character. There’s only so much of that you can watch, especially since there aren’t very many interesting offensive characters in SF5, before you’ve seen all the possible interactions. And with all the SF5 happening again this year, come Evo time I will probably be pretty tired of it. I’ll still likely watch, but I’m not on the edge of my seat for it.

Tekken is cool, I just… don’t understand it at all. And I feel it’s the type of game you can’t easily watch without understanding it.

I am super disappointed because there two Smash Bros games in Evo 2017… What the heck!?
This is not fair. :confused:

1 Like

It’s been this way for 3 years now. It’s nothing new or surprising.

Yeah, I’m not surprising. But seriously, this is very unfair to KI and other fighting games.

Why is it unfair? Melee and Smash 4 both had 2500 entrants last year.

If anything, including another fighting game instead of Smash would be unfair to Smash.

Goddammit rather than arguing about stuff u cant change go donate, marvel is already ahead by 300

Agreed. I had a blast with PM (much more so than Melee or even Sm4sh). Shame because I feel Nintendo could have taken opportunity to make this an official game but that’s a different story entirely.

Believe me I want to donate. But unfortunately money’s kinda strict on me right now. :sob:

Yeah, Project M was actually a lot of fun to watch. Fast and interesting, with a ton of character variety to boot. Smash 4 with FT3’s just takes too long, and Melee is just not enough character variety for me to personally enjoy.

1 Like

Because we have TWO Smash Bro games tournament. I mean why some people choose Smash Bros over KI and other fighting? Why can’t we have one Smash bros tournament?