Everwild

Why is rare making this? It doesn’t even feel like a Rare game.

I am a lifelong Rare fan, but I enjoyed Sea of Thieves as much as a lead balloon. I just prefer a bit of direction, goals, and story in my games, without the MASSIVE downtime that came from sailing between islands, or the trolling from random players for attempting to sail alone. If Everwild is structurally anything like SoT, I’m out.

Then again, with veteran member of the Rare crew, Louise O’Connor at the helm, I have a really good feeling about this one. Color me interested. :deer:

-Zenek

1 Like

I’m not. Just from the trailer it doesn’t even feel like a Rare game compared to every other title they’ve made, even Sea of Thieves felt more like a Rare game, heck Nuts and Bolts felt more like a Rare game. This is just more artsy fartsy crap that’s more about making a statement then actually being fun. We don’t even know a single thing about the gameplay.

I totally understand where you’re coming from, but until we learn what kind of game it actually is, I’ll give it a chance. After all, there wasn’t anything like Killer Instinct in their archive until Rare made KI. :wink:

On the other hand, the first few trailers for SoT gave no information, and when interviews asked Rare about what the game was about, the best answers we got were along the lines of “Be a pirate and do pirate stuff.” That should’ve raised a ton of red flags to me, and since iIt’s just a big wet sandbox with no substantial goals, that was a major bummer all around.

I’m extra-cautious after SoT, but Rare making a game centered around weird creatures? I’m listening…

-Zenek

1 Like

The Killer Instinct games they made were bombastic and humerous. Same with Battletoads. Conker and Banjo-Kazooie have a lot of humor in them and charm to their concepts. Perfect Dark, Kameo, Viva Pinata, even Sea of Theives has a touch of that signiture Rare charm, all in various amounts of course. That charm was no where in that trailer. So I, personally, do not have much faith in this project. I expect nothing more than a game with pretty graphics and unsubstantial gameplay with either no plot, or one so esoteric that it might as well not be there. With none of the classic Rare charm. This is basically gonna be Rare’s Death Stranding and I hope to god it doesn’t ruin the studio.

You know what? If there’s a Rare game that I’ve never liked, and it was 100% because it lacked the Rare charm you’re talking about, it’s Blast Corps. :fire_engine:

Didn’t care for it, but enjoying 29 out of 30 games is pretty darn good for Rare Replay. :stuck_out_tongue:

-Zenek

2 Likes

@MasterZenek I too enjoy weird creatures overall for me here :wink: :slightly_smiling_face: :grin:

1 Like

And also had more of a dark edge compared to a lot of Rare titles. In fact, it was Nintendo’s grittiest title, especially in its look and content.

In terms of this new IP, it looks pretty good. I just hope that the actual game itself is good, if not great, especially considering “Sea of Thieves”.

1 Like

I still wish rare would be more… Rare.

2 Likes

In an ideal world, but the sad fact is that the Rare now isn’t the one from yesterday. A lot of the core staff that defined Rare are gone, doing their own thing now.

1 Like

Meanwhile their legacy is wasting away underused and unexploited while new Rare sullies the companies reputation.

2 Likes

“Sully” is a little too harsh. But yeah, Rare as it currently is is extremely underutilized, their franchises too.

The fact that the company that made Banjo-Kazooie, Conker’s Bad Fur Day, Battletoads, and Killer Instinct is now making stuff like this… yes. It is absolutely sullying the reputation classic Rare deservedly built up.

“Sea of Thieves” was a joke at launch, not going to deny that. In terms of this new game “Everwild”, it looks good, but aside from that I can’t really comment on it.

How can you say that when we haven’t seen any gameplay at all?

Precisely. We haven’t seen anything in terms of gameplay, so how can I possibly comment on anything else when I don’t even know what that particular aspect is going to be like, let alone the story? In terms of visuals, it looks good, but that’s all I can say about this game at the moment.

1 Like

I think that the fact that they actually think that they can get away with showing nothing but the graphics and that people will still like it, that they can reveal a game without the slightest hint of actual gameplay, says a lot about their slant on development and the type of game it is. That signals to me, that the gameplay isn’t important to them. And that’s worthy of contempt and ridicule.

That is a ridiculous assumption to make. Plenty of other trailers showcase the graphics first and not the gameplay. Again, one can only read so much from just one trailer. I prefer to have more information rather than decide right then and there something is “worthy of contempt and ridicule”. For now, it looks fine. Nothing about it at the moment is offensive.

1 Like

Well, looks like the game is being rebooted.

2 Likes