Ep. VII (The Force Awakens) story discussion - MASSIVE SPOILERS

Thanks for the advice. I saw it in a Dolby Atmos yesterday in Tokyo. There is also an MX4D theater but that one has been sold out for days.

Never had the chance to see any movie in MX4D. Anyone seen SW in MX4D?

No worries, itā€™s not really about the movie, I just meant the ā€œas a parentā€ card. People tend to use this a lot, as a way of somehow bolstering their opinion and minimizing the view of people who donā€™t have kids. I was trying to make it clear that I wasnā€™t saying ā€œYou couldnā€™t possibly understand if you donā€™t have kidsā€ or ā€œYouā€™ll appreciate it more when you have childrenā€ or any of that other stuff. I was just really sharing my own feelings about the movie. For all I know, you have ten kids, and you could still legitimately think Hanā€™s death was lame. Thatā€™s all. Probably Iā€™m over explaining, but I think a 20 year old, single version of myself would have seen the movie and said ā€œThat kidā€™s an asshat, Han should have just shot him in the face.ā€ But now Iā€™m really moved by how horrifyingly conflicted and sad he must feel to see his son gone so terribly wrong, and find it incredibly moving and relatable that he would walk out there alone and not even try to defend himself in an effort to get his boy back. The fact that he touches his face in the end tells you that, even knowing everything he would do the same thing again just for the chance to see his son one more time. Keep in mind Iā€™m watching the movie with my good natured 7 year old beside me, and it makes you think about all the clichĆ© questions about what you would and wouldnā€™t do for your kid. So, maybe Iā€™m just going soft in the head, but at least part of it is being older and being a parent. I found myself welling up the second time around, and not because Han dies.

1 Like

I just canā€™t get over the fact that patricide was showcased in a Disney film. Just yet another thing to put into their ever growing corner of evil, which Iā€™m sure their execs lovingly call ā€œthe dark side.ā€ :smirk:

Seriously though, think about all the truly evil/horrible events that have happened within Disney films, either openly or secretly. Thereā€™s probably more than you think. :wink:

Sorry, for the many quotes.

I gotcha. My apologies as my question wasnā€™t very clear. I was just wondering if more people had felt the death was sudden or lacking something (visually or in the script,etc.). I mistakenly thought that it perhaps had sparked a huge debate or anything, which brings me to my next point:

This is why I was surprised they didnā€™t at least have a close(r) shot of Hanā€™s face when falling off the bridge. I was expecting to see his face all the way as he was falling down. Now it showed just 2 seconds of Hanā€™s body falling using in a very remote shot. And above that, the camera almost immediately switches to Fin/Rey and a shooting ensues, without giving me(the audience) time to digest what just happened. Maybe I have been trained by countless Hollywood movies like a Pavloq dog, expecting the camera to zoom in and show tears in oneā€™s eyes as he/she falls into the depths killed by a loved one (a bit melodramatic=). because this didnā€™t happen, I felt something was missing (perhaps my fault)ā€¦

On a side note, in my university days, a buddy of mine and I skipped class and went to see this new animated at the time ā€˜Tarzanā€™ when it just came out in 1999. As 20-year old students, there was this emotional scene that nearly made both of us cry. Like a bad comedy, we said to each other after the movie that ā€œthat one scene was quite deep, wasnā€™t it? Made me cry a bitā€. The point is, I have a very low barrier when it comes to getting emotional, lol. Expected a bit more from SWā€¦:wink:

Well, I was sent by my wife to see whether or not the movie would be suitable for our 7 year old and her little brother, haha. It was more like a reconnaissance mission for me rather than having some time for myself to enjoy. I was reviewing each scene to see if my girl would have nightmares from any disgusting creaturesā€¦I guess, I went to see the movie with my head and not my heart.

I know this all too well.

Iā€™m doing this from my phone so forgive me for not pulling the quotes (it is just a bit too wonky).

No raging debate, I was just responding to your comment about Hanā€™s death not being epic. No question Star Wars is a melodrama. Lucas himself (although he is now somehow viewed as less of an authority on his own creation by the fan base) frequently calls it a soap opera in space. Everyone is someoneā€™s father, much Oedipal conflict, brother sister kisses etc. But melodrama can be good. As far as the (arguably) quick cutaway the movie had to keep going. If you go scene by scene through the movie this was actually among the longest without a cutaway to somewhere else. Also, just like Luke in the first movie Rey and Finn go apeshit seeing their mentor get killed and start wrecking the place. But itā€™s actually among my favorite things in the movie that Chewbacca goes nuts. Iā€™m pretty sure that particular roar translates as ā€œyou little b$&ch!ā€ and then he nails Kylo with his bowcaster (which they cleverly established was an incredibly hard hitting gun throughout the movie - which helps explain how Finn and Rey can defeat Ren later on. Heā€™s severely wounded already. But thats a digression.). After that the three of them basically wreck shop, kill half a dozen storm troopers and blow up the joint. Thatā€™s a pissed off 300 year old Wookie. And I thought it was perfect. No hesitation from Chewie to kill the son of Han - the kid earned it, heā€™s pissed and just like the rest of us in the audience he wants to blow the little ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€™s balls off.

Sorry for the language, hopefully it gets bleeped. But I think the quick cut to action gives the audience at least a bit of release from the tension and anguish of the previous scene.

My 7 year old son loves the movie and hasnā€™t had any issues since seeing it. My daughter is 4 and we wonā€™t take her to see it in the theater but I will probably let her watch at home when the Blu ray hits because we can sit with her and pause it if she gets nervous etc. Sheā€™s really going to like Rey though.

You have to know your kids though. My nephew is 6 and heā€™s much more sensitive so his parents donā€™t want him to see it for a while.

My daughter picks Maya like 10 out of 10 times. 100% that sheā€™ll absolutely love Rey.

Im a bit ā€œbittenā€ by the Star Wars bug! LOLā€¦this came in todayā€¦ I got a really good deal on it from Game Stop online.

3 Likes

Is that thing a wearable helmet or for display purposes only?

You wear it! it has a voice changer in the mouth area and you can talk exactly like Kylo It also has on / off hidden button on the right side and a pitch change button on the left side.
My only gripe about it is the voice changer isnt loud enough to over power your regular voice volume

I just canā€™t get over how overwhelmingly positive reviews are. I mean people nitpicked the hell out of the prequels, but it seems like EPVII has gotten a free pass for most of the problems with the plot.

1 Like

Lots of nitpicks in here and all over the net, but generally itā€™s just a much more entertaining movie than any of the prequels, and the characters are a lot more fun to watch.

Oh, and the dialogue is better.
And the direction.

Soā€¦

1 Like

The Disney infinity line may have spoiled who Rey is. Kylo Ren in a video game apparently says ā€œface me cousinā€, thatā€™s What my bro is tellin me right now anyway. I originally thought she was kylo long lost sister myself.

Oh btw did you all know actor who plays kylo was a U.S. marine for 2 years before being medically discharged? I didnt, and i find that Awesome.

Agreed! the more i watch the prequels now the worse they get. I used to really enjoy themā€¦but now, i see so much bad acting and CGIā€¦its just bad. I want to love those movies but im slowly starting to like them less and less each time.

Adam Driver? was a marine? lol

ID have to see a video of the game ā€¦surprised if its true there isnt already videos popping up everywhereā€¦maybe your friend can make a video and be the lead theorist lol

I liked the acting in this one more than before, thatā€™s for sure. I think the youngsters did a good job, imo.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œBoJima404, post:75, topic:3415, full:trueā€]
I liked the acting in this one more than before, thatā€™s for sure. I think the youngsters did a good job, imo.
[/quote]This; so much, this.

I disagree. The acting isnā€™t terrible, but theyā€™re pretty flat characters, same goes for the plot. Not to say the prequels didnā€™t have their faults, but I felt they had quite a bit more personality.

I think it all comes back to the directing. What Lucas was trying for in the prequels was to capture the staid, formal relationships within the Jedi order and the upper echelons of the Republic. But, frankly, he missed it. The character interactions come across as wooden and uncomfortable and none of the actors are able to inject a likable personality into their dialogue. I actually enjoyed the prequels and still enjoy them. But I donā€™t think they are nearly as good as The Force Awakens.

All of the actors in the prequels are good actors. Arguably more accomplished actors than the original cast or anyone in the force awakens. Even the much picked on Hayden Christianson has an impressive body of work if you watch him in other things (see him as a juvenile delinquent/drug addict/male prostitute in My Life as a House). But when Ewan McGregor playing Obi Wan Kenobi comes across as UNLIKABLE that has to be the direction. I like this guy as a heroin addict and even as rich jerk trying to kill his own clone. I ought to be able to like him as one of my favorite movie characters of all timeā€¦

Agreed! I actually like Ewanā€™s performance as Obi Wanā€¦I think he is definitely the best actor in the prequels by far. Oh man and Padmaeā€¦damn she is so hot in all of her different get upsā€¦she is my favorite :smile:

Have you seen the deleted scenes from Revenge of the Sith? Oh man they are bad! The scenes of Obi Wan and Aneken are bad, really badā€¦good thing they cut those because it is the preeminent version of what everyone doesnā€™t like about the prequels and Hayden.

The movie was pretty damn good probably give it a 9/10 one of the things i didnt like was that it wasnt really explained what happened between ep.6 and 7 the rebels won at the end of 6 and now suddenly the first order still exists theres still only one jedi left and then they just destroy the republic in a minute would of been better if it was explained a little more