Early "Killer Instinct" Art By Kev Bayliss!

So, for those of you unaware, Kev Bayliss was the original artist who had designed the original KI games. Apparently Fulgore started off as a ninja, but due to hardware limitations, he ended up becoming a robot. Really interesting see the evolution of characters like Thunder, Fulgore and Riptor here. There’s even a bit of Sabrewulf in there as well, plus it features concept art for other characters that didn’t make it into the original KI including Gunn, “Wizard” and the vampire character among others!

What do you guys think? Would you want some of these concepts explored/refined for a future KI?

1 Like

I think you might be posting in the wrong place, dude. That said, I’ll see if I can find someone on here who might know how to help you out.

This was just released by Kev Bayliss on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1746174434866577528

Apparently the “claws” on Fulgore were meant to be harpoons that would act similar to Scorpion’s spear from MK and would have been retractable.

1 Like

This was Maya’s initial design. Apparently she was going to have a cobra staff.

2 Likes

I kinda think this looks cooler than what we got if I’m being honest. I always felt like Maya and Kim’s KI2 designs were kinda weak.

1 Like

You and me both. I’ve never been into either character, although I did like some of Maya’s Jungle Leap attacks. Not exactly good trade-offs for Cinder and Riptor, though.

1 Like

Dude I feel that, and Tusk wasn’t a good trade off for Thunder for me either. The cast of KI1 was so wild and diverse.
I will say I think the updated designs for Kim, Maya and Tusk are cool as hell in the current KI, I was honestly really impressed with a lot of Iron Galaxy’s takes on the characters. Especially Eyedol. Making him a Frankenstein Ogre with a cleaved head was way beyond my wildest imaginings for that character.

1 Like

Oh definitely, and the interesting thing about those characters and that setting was the dystopian cyberpunk aspect with a lot of these creatures being Ultratech-made bioweapons, though Sabrewulf and Eyedol were kind of the odd ones out. I hope in the next KI they kind of go back to that sort of thing with corporations creating their own bioweapons and weapon testing, and not just Ultratech. While Aganos and Hisako were fantastic additions, I kind of felt like the 2013 game leaned a little too much in the more fantasy/mystical aspect imo. I mean, don’t get me wrong, KI can have that, but I don’t want to see it leaned in too much.

I was actually pretty impressed with the updates for those characters, for Maya especially, although I absolutely LOVED what was done with Eyedol.

1 Like