Does Killer Instinct lore need balanced characters?

I never said she did.

With this discussion I’m VERY interested in what type of moveset Gargos would possess.

Every move is Opener to Ultra/Instant KO. He is the boss after all. Breaks all combos on openers.

I think you forget the part where SF had near yearly rebalance updates. USF4 does not play the same as SF4. The same will probably happen to SFV since it looks like it’s going the season approach. Everyone relearns their character not just you making it pretty balanced.

Also, having rebalances in game play doesn’t change the lore. The lore is the background story of the character. I don’t see how adding a tracking puddle punch for Glacius affects his story and even if it did, don’t you think these characters in the story would constantly work on improving their skills.

i don’t know … like Bulma being able to fight Super Saiyan and win in a fighting game, it just messes up the lore

or that, i’m gonna beat you with pinky pink Dan to shame you moments

I actually play Dan in USF4, so I have tons of those moments. Lol

What do you mean exactly? Like should weaker characters lore wise be weaker gameplay wise to reflect that? If so id say no. There is really no point. Fighting game characters are usually supposed to be made to compete with everybody in the cast. Even if canon wise TJ Combo or Tusk could never defeat (insert stronger character) doesn’t mean he should be made to be worse than that character in terms of actual gameplay.

Its like this in MK…everybody knows Stryker could never beat Shao Kahn in a 1v1, but he is still able to do it in arcade mode because of gameplay mechanics, and I think that is how it should be.

TLDR: Keep the lore/canon and gameplay/tiers separate. If character’s gameplay start getting made to be stronger than other characters to reflect their strength story wise it kind of ruins balancing. It would be like if in MK1/MK2 you could only beat Shang Tsung/Shao Kahn with Liu Kang…that would be no fun lol

3 Likes

In the recent KI Cup, all 18 characters were used in the tourney and in finals.

We would never intentionally create a weaker character for lore and keep them weak on purpose. What would be the point of doing that? You’d simply be wasting work to make a non-competitive character in a game that’s all about competition.

Lore-wise, sure there are some characters that are assumed to be more powerful than others, but we’d never enforce that to a degree that would make them unfun to play as, or nearly impossible to win with in certain match ups.

By EVO, I’d love to see the 18 of S1+2 plus the S3 characters released up to that point all representing.

8 Likes

Lol that would be like tj punching fulgore and not breaking his hand or sadira kicking cinder and not burning her foot off.

See, this is what you don’t understand.
If you play Bulma in a DBZ game and fight a Super Saiyan, and win… that does NOT affect Lore AT ALL! Why? Because it is NOT CANON! It is only canon if it happens in the actual lore-correct story of the game. But whatever happens in a match outside of the actual story does NOT affect the Lore in any way.

2 Likes

well all things considered the lores hinted that these characters will be having these changes in the first place if you look a their bios.

Plus with a number of the new tools some of these characters are getting it’s perhaps so they may ahve a chance against some of the upcoming S3 cast.

Ironically the DBZ games have major balance issues. You Can’t beat Super Saiyan with Freeza BUT if you choose one of his henchmen you can kick a Supers. Arse no problem.

But remember that TJ Combo is not just a “boxer with simply human strenght” anyome!
Now we know in his backstory that UltraTech have somehow “increase” his strenght by messing with his DNA
That explain why he so powerful to fight Fulgore or Cinder!

It depends. In the story the only reason tj knows that ultra tech changed his DNA is his new healing factor. We don’t know if it increases his strength or not.

Although for some reason I don’t mind tj being stronger than the average guy. Tj being stronger than balrog makes me smile. His average boxer dude is represented in his model more than his lore/moveset.

Although I’m surprised that tj instinct doesn’t passively heal him to tie in with his lore

It kind of does.

I’ve seen a Hercule take down a Super Saiyan Vegito.

It’s possible. XD

1 Like

Well not passively, but it does give him a lump sum of life after “death” so technically,

I main Sakura :cry:

I understand what you mean… weak characters by nature of their story are just weak in the game too. I do not feel the same as you though on rebalancing. I think it keeps the game interesting and less stale. You don’t have to relearn all that much in my opinion. Maybe some mechanics require a good deal of tweaking your strategy but for the most part I think it’s exciting.

yeah … kinda an impulse post I made … practicing new combos based on what changes are expected for my main.

a lot of fun in it … some bad, but bearable.

the flipouts and staggers looking forward to a lot though.

season 3 is gonna bring a whole new life to Killer Instinct, can’t wait