Do You Consider Killer Instinct to be Cyber-Punk?

It depends on what character you are talking about.

ARIA can be considered Cyberpunk in her design, maybe even Fulgore too, but characters like Jago and Orchid, are far from Cyberpunk…as far away as “horror” characters like Mira and Sabrewulf.

KI in general is a mash-up of all these different themes and designs. That it’s shtick. What other fighting game has a Vampire, a “cyberpunk” styled AI controlled automaton, a boxer, a dinosaur, and a gargoyle designed God?

1 Like

Tekken. Vampires, dinosaurs, kangaroos. etc etc. I think the only thing it’s missing is ARIA and gargos character types. Sure they have robots and demons in tekken but…nothing like these two.

1 Like

I think is a POP culture gang bang

Not quite since we also have fantasy stuff involved to. KI isn’t a singular genre, which makes it awesome.

Yeah but…how prominant are these supposed monsters you speak of? I’d much rather categorize Tekken in the SF since: it’s all about some guy from one country fighting some other dude from another country. Tekken’s more like a Martial Arts kind of story similar to Street Fighter if I were to give it a genre. Just humans fighting other humans really.

Dark Stalkers would come way closer to KI than any fighting game if you consider half the roster are horror themed characters.

Though I don’t think Tekken will have that same kind of roster flare as KI though. Because it’s character diversity is so big that alone says something. It cannot be put into specefic aesthetic genre because one thing always offsets the others.

It’s a martial arts kind of story like Tekken and Street Fighter? oh look robots and dinosaurs and aleins and modified humans turned into beings of fire!..Is it Sci-Fi then? Nope we got werewolves, vampires and skeletons! So is it horror? Nope! cause we got guys with giant swords, warriors with magical daggers, sourcerers who have the arcane arts, golems, demon lords and their minons. It’s neother one.

Not only is it because the characters are diverse because of this genre, they’re all so VERY uniqe that even characters that might belong in the same kind of roster or troupe look highly uniqe and interesting in design. Riptor Cinder and Fulgore could fall in the sci-fi category, but LOOK how well they stand out. Plus these characters all play more than enough of a role to really mean something in KI.

1 Like

No they’re more joke characters in the sense in tekken’s case. Well some of them are. I don’t really like tekken anyway. Outside of King and yoshi.

That’s why I’d put tekken with SF: a martial arts themed story. Humans fight Humans that’s about it.

In Tekken anything that isn’t human is there for ■■■■■ and giggles. In KI the non-human looking creatures are actually one of the main attractions and are not side shows.When you think about diversity in Fighting Games. KI doesn’t treat the freaks as one offs. Loosing any ONE of them can greatly effect KI’s roster in my opinion. Which is why when Cinder and Riptor were not in KI2 I don’t remember KI2 as fondly and it was down in character uniqueness by 70 percent personally,

One of the many reasons I love KI so much. Now THAT is roster diversity. I use to like Tekken but between the dwindling character diversity and same gameplay for so many years I kinda quit. Hadn’t played a tekken game since Tag Tournament and didn’t touch the series till Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Mostly cause true ogre and Alex were back and my brother and I could coop. But it was fun for about a month.

1 Like

For me, it’s the characters that make the game.

1 Like

I admit my previous two posts were highly umm…passionate. But yeah the roster is always the attraction. Hell I’m actually pretty picky about it lol. If the roster doesn’t keep my interest I can lose interest in a fightin game. While I admittedly don’t care for Tekken as a game I am curious to see how this whole Mishima family drama goes. But that’s all.

Unlike Tekken though KI’s roster is so unique and holds so much influence in the game itself, you can’t put the game in one category or another.

1 Like

Ugh…the failshimas drama. Just get rid of jin and old heihachi and have either kaz plummet into chaos and became the devil or kasumi does some miracle bending on him and turns him towards the light.

But first and foremost, get.rid.of.jin.

It all started when the fire motif from Season 1 disappeared. .

Well I will say this now: I now find KI to be a combination of science-fiction, science-fantasy, fantasy, and cyberpunk all mixed together :wink: :slight_smile:

Given its setting and story, with corporations going to literal war with one another and Ultratech creating weapons and televising everything to the masses as spectacle, it is definitely cyberpunk. KI’s setting in itself is right at home with the likes of “Ghost In The Shell”, “Cyber City Oedo 808”, “Akira” and other titles.

One could perhaps even see that the Chief Thunder of old has a passing similarity in appearance to this character as well.

1 Like