Deceptive Difficulty

Okay maybe its just my imagination but have any of you guys gotten the sensation that Manual Combos are not really that difficult ?

I swear to god I have a better success rate with 3 Frame Links in KI (yes I did factor in Special Move Cancel) than 4 Frame Links in Street Fighter V.

LoL… or maybe Street Fighter V’s Notorious Input Lag is just messing me up.

1 Like

Yeah something has always felt easy about ki links. I can semi consistently hit some of the funky 1 frame links some characters have in ki but then I pop in sfiv to try and make progress with the trials and the game just laugh at me.

3 Likes

Interesting. If IG snuck in a patch that makes Manuals easier and simply didn’t tell anyone… Then I LOVE IT !!! :stuck_out_tongue: .

Its just like when developers of platformers allow you to jump a few frames into your falling animations.

Yes and no. Some characters manuals are easier than others. I feel it’s ok with Wulf and easier with Shadow Jago, more tricky with other characters (also I’m not sure of their timings so there’s that).
But then it’s true I go to SFV and my friends say “oh, combos in that game are soooo easy!!”. But I struggle a lot doing the trials.
I lost the habbit of “looking the timing”, I play feeling it. Don’t know how to explain it. After I connect something I wait and then press the other button, I’m not watching the animations much. In SF I got that watching the animation was key to connnect things better.

Now I’m starting to pay more attention to things like counterhits on screen and react with a clean combo with it. I didn’t care much before, but working on confirms is important. I don’t use option selects to confirm in KI.

1 Like

I think one of the Things that would trip me up with Manuals are how some Normals change when you are closer to the Opponent.

I wish I could play like that… I need all the feed back I can get when trying to link combos. Its so necessary for me that I cannot play Charge Characters… we’l see if that Changes when Fantasy Strike comes.

1 Like

Charge characters from SFV?. I kind of like them but since KI1996 I prefer the charge to be shorter. And after this KI I wouldn’t mind they don’t charge at all. If I was picking a SFV character I would go Necalli, Karin was my first option but I’m not fan of juggles (also her tenko variation confirms are making me mash to much, I don’t want to ruin my fighstick :disappointed_relieved:).

1 Like

LoL… I think thats essentially the only reason I don’t play Karin… infact SFV is so difficult for me that R. Mika is the only viable character I can play… and after she got smacked hard by the nerf Hammer in Season 2 its like… why bother ?

Its a ripoff to pay $40 for a fighting game to get rail roaded into playing one character.

1 Like

The inputs in KI have always had a reputation for being a bit more lenient than some other FGs. Probably for the best, since the real skill in KI isn’t being able to DO Combos, but being able to play the Breaker mind game around them.

3 Likes

What I find funny is everybody will say that about their Fighting Game of choice… even KOF Players say it and that game is IMPOSSIBLE !!!

Its always been easy…the trick is how you physically do it. I prefer to plink the manual just after the link. If you wait for the linker to end visually it can be too late fro a beginner. Starting with shadow linkers first to get the hang of it and then moving on to the more difficult links.

The real test though is if you can do it when it matters against someone who can break manuals.

1 Like