Dealing with an influx of new players and CAM

I think the insanely negative reaction to teabagging is a bit weird to me. I was playing a beginner earlier in the year who was in danger, and he killed my first life bar using Spinal. Probably knowing he was about to die, he ran up to me (with the Spinal laugh), taunted, and teabagged me as fast as his finger could press the down button. I burst out laughing because I thought it was legitimately hilarious.

I dunno. He’s not yelling obscenities into the mic or whatever, trying to personally disrespect you as a human being, he’s just making his character do something funny-looking.

1 Like

Beating somebody down isn’t going to make them respect you, it will make them acknowledge that you are a skilled player and are better than them, but certainly not respect you lol

Obviously its different for everybody, but I am going to respect the player that plays, wins, maybe says GG, possibly offer a bit of advice, or just moves on and keeps playing etc. Not the cocky elitist whose main vocabulary consists of “Get gud newb”. Don’t get me wrong , I don’t have anything against the “tough love” approach. I actually prefer people to not take it easy on me as in my mind, that really does me no favors or helps me improve. I would rather just be beaten than somebody blatantly hold back and let me beat on them. That’s probably no fun for you, and it certainly isn’t fun for me. I want to win for real lol

Yeah, sportsmanship is overrated.

I can tell you with certainty players who teabag are more likely to be ragequiters.

They are also much more likely to be the ones who shout homophobic slurs. Like I said, this is through experience.

So I’m honestly more confused at your confusion over this aversion. I’ve been playing fighting games for years and years and it’s pretty much universally accepted that you’re more likely to see all this behavior accompanied by tea bagging.

Well, I didn’t condone that other behavior (even if, as you said, they seem to go hand-in-hand). Naturally, if the guy is teabagging you while shouting slurs, then that’s a little different. I mute voice chat in every match so I dunno if people are shouting slurs at me. Maybe they were.

I guess I just think teabagging (in total isolation) is the least offensive form of “bad sportsmanship”, or whatever you want to call it. I won’t deny there is often an insult implied behind the teabagging, but if people were going to pick something that sets them off, I’m surprised to see them pick that over other things, that’s all.