Darkstalkers Guest Possibilities

I played the first and third Darkstalkers games on my PS1 when I was a kid, and really had a lot of fun with them even though I really didn’t know what the hell I was doing. I recently downloaded the third game on my PS Vita, and found that what I’ve learned about 2d fighters from KI was actually helping me to understand what I was doing with DS3!

Playing around with the roster got me thinking - what are the odds that the second guest character might be someone from Darkstalkers? I think a lot of the characters in DS have fairly distinctive shapes, and that could possibly explain why we haven’t had any sort of hints about the second guest. Unless I’m wrong, Keits or Adam actually said that even showing a silhouette for the character would give him or her away immediately.

Now, as far as I know, DS is owned by Capcom still - though they don’t appear to be doing much since Resurrection didn’t sell as well as they wanted it to - and that Capcom and Sony are working together with SFV. But I think it’s entirely possible that Capcom might be throwing in with MS too - by giving us a guest for Season 3, and maybe an exclusive Darkstalkers title later on!

I actually think we could see Dimitri as our second guest. His dark aura definitely has a distinctive shape along with his cloak, there have been a lot of requests for a vampire character (and Morrigan would be exceedingly too obvious a choice), and the DS series has a grim enough art style (albeit with it’s own sense of humor) that it could mesh well with KI.

KI could already be considered somewhat of a “love letter” to Darkstalkers given the number of monstrous characters, so why not seal the deal? I’d love to read everybody’s take on these ideas; maybe you have a different DS character you think might make a good guest?

If they could get rights to Darkstalkers characters, they should make Darkstalkers VS Killer Instinct its own dedicated game.

1 Like

Thanks but no thanks as I’m not too much nor too big of a Darkstalkers fan/fan of the Darkstalkers series in my case :stuck_out_tongue:

Considering the fact that various Darkstalkers characters appear in the Marvel vs. Capcom series, which is (largely) owned by Capcom, I highly doubt anything like this will ever happen.

…but 1 can certainly dream. :wink:

I’m not sure what the confusion is about ownership. Darkstalkers is a Capcom game 100%. That doesn’t mean that it precludes MS from reaching an arrangement with them. SF is not the only Capcom game and they have things like Dead Rising which are MS exclusives. People think the SF deal is some sort of Capcom/Sony merger, but it isn’t.

Didn’t they already add Demitri last December?

No thanks, I do like Darkstalkers but the guests should only be Rare and Microsoft ips in my opinion.