Cuphead

I didn’t get a tutorial :confused:
Edit: I totally went past the paper that said tutorial. No wonder I had trouble. Thanks.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware that you could skip it. It was in the Old Kettle’s house.

3 Likes

If you’re struggling with any boss, the first thing you should try to find out is which attacks you can crouch under/shrink under (if you’re the plane). It’s a surprising amount of them. If an attack covers a huuuuge amount of screen space, odds are you can crouch it.

Try not to sit on your super meter too much. You build a lot of meter in this game, especially if you parry pink attacks often (as you should). If you want to save your super for an attack phase you struggle with, burn some EX moves early in the fight, because you’ll build the meter back very quick.

Change the default controls. They’re terrible. You should be able to shoot, jump, and dash all at the same time without finger gymnastics. I put shoot on RT so I could use the face buttons to jump, shoot EX/super, and dash (on A, X, and B respectively). If you find that uncomfortable and want shoot on a face button, then put the dash/super/switch weapons on triggers. But you should do one of these two.

4 Likes

I ended uplifting the shot on the trigger with the super in the bumper. It works outbolay although I don’t generally like holding the trigger all the time and I still sometimes mess up the buttons because I’m a spaz.

I did beat the game tonight, so that was fun. I really liked the King Dice level concept although his cards were more difficult than they really should have been because of randomness and the fact that I still find the part inconsistent. Felt like I had to go super super early on this fights. But all the mini bosses for his level were very cool.

The Devil was less difficult although he had a few situations that were just patently unfair. But sometimes you would get an easier series. I didn’t expect to win and I guess that last form where he’s crying is sort of a gimme.

All in all I really enjoyed it. Very impressive game.

Thing about King Dice (spoilers if you haven’t done the level) is that

====

the hitbox for parrying the cards is really, really high. A lot of people jump into the cards and get hit because there’s something about the animation that tricks you into thinking you are double-jumping off a low part of the card. Pretty much everyone I’ve ever seen do the level gets hit by the cards almost every time. I also got hit a lot at the start until I realized that you need to press your first parry almost at the apex of your jump. After I learned this I never had trouble with the cards again. If the first card you need to parry is 3 or 4 deep, then you just jump, dash, and mash A so you parry as soon as your dash ends. Bounce off the same card once or twice until the rest of the cards come, and hold trigger the whole time so you hit the boss as you’re bouncing.

2 Likes

Yeah, I got hit all the time every time right up until the time I beat him. I was getting there with 5 or 6 hit points and still losing so I figured I was missing something. I decided “I’m going way early this time” and voila. I still took a couple of hits but way easier once you realize this.

2 player games are much more difficult.

1 Like

Jeeze, Wally Warbles is an absolute nightmare on expert mode.

I firmly disagree.

Unless if everyone is a masochist.

Don’t worry I’m not going to blast the This thread like I did with Nioh… this is going to to be a one and done thing.

So… here are the things that are obviously wrong with Cuphead:

1. The size of your Bullets… so Cuphead can fire in 8 Direction… some enemies can also move in those same 8 directions and some move in more unique ways… the cheapness happens when one of these 8 way enemies flies torwards you and is obviously going to collide with you and you aim and match that same direction and fire only for your tiny tiny Bullets to miss completely and die when the enemy barrels into you. Call me crazy but for the the enemies specifically who move in those 8 Directions… they definitely should not be able to hit me if I can’t hit them by matching their Trajectory.

2. The Parry… just like the bullets the parry hitbox is extremely tiny and using the whetstone doesn’t increase its size… whenever I want parry something or hit something with The whetstone… its a crapshoot whether or not the parry will be within range or if the attack will reach my hurtbox first. The other thing is how unintuitive it is trying to parry while jumping… especially if you’re trying to parry something thats above you… you just wind up jumping directly into it and dying… my solution to this problem was to double tap the jump button but the problem with that is you wind up not being close enough to the Target so you just wind up missing… not an issue if you have the safety of a floor underneath but sometimes this happens over a death pit or on a moving platform so when the parry/Whetstone misses you just plummet to your death. The 3rd issue has less to do with the parry itself and more to do with the developers seemingly not wanting me to use it for some reason… so what happens when I parry something is it causes cuphead to ricochet, usually upwards and right in the 2nd Boss fight with the Frogs literally every single time I parried something I would ricochet and land on top of a projectile… in the clown Boss fight I would parry and bounce directly into a duck or a dog.

3. This next issue is nothing new… infact I’m pretty ■■■■ sure every side scrolling game has this problem and its about enemies or attacks outright blind sliding you from beyond the edge of the screen.

Cuphead (and Miss Splosion Man on the Xbox 360) seem to be intentionally using the confines and limitations of this format to deliberately rack up cheap shots from out of the blue… ofcourse this is nothing new… Dark Souls does this all the time… so I’m assuming Cuphead just decided to copy this and redesign it to work for the side scrolling format.

1. The RNG… theres nothing wrong with RNG… not at all… assuming the mechanics were design with it in mind… in Cuphead’s case… it wasn’t… some foresight is required to not get killed because its possible and frequent to find yourself or even put yourself into an avoidable situation were you are forced to get hit by something… the thing that bugs me about Cuphead is that when ever I get cornered in such a way that I can’t Shoot, Parry or Dash out of the way is I can’t even tell how it even got to that point… projectlies spawn and some how I avoid a few them and conered myself into a guaranteed death with no way of knowing where I should have been to not get cornered… its like I’m being driven there. Smoke Bombs helped in some these situations but I’m using the Whetstone now so sometimes I’m just ■■■■■■… I’ve literally beaten boss’s almost entirely by luck and sometimes my gameplan is to "Make it through phase 1, 2 & 3 unscathed and then use the HP I managed to preserve to tank my way through the random Bull ■■■■ in Phase 4… actually alot of Boss Fights feel like that… like the only way to beat them is to outlast them because sooner or later the RNG is going to ■■■■ you over.

Theres a bunch of other stuff but those are the top 4 frequent and consistent problems with Cuphead.