Could someone explain Frame Data indetail?

Yes. KI 4 = SF 5

Yes, SF counts the first active frame in the startup (and I think it’s the only correct way to talk about frame data). The KI way is only startup frames, so everything is always 1 off.

But yes, for the purposes of full disclosure, when you look at the move using KI’s training mode frame data tool, you will see “4” listed as the startup for what I call a 5 frame move.

I would like to thank everyone for the help that you have provided so far

1 Like

Now if both players are in active frames, that is when the game figures out who’s move is stronger and wins? Like heavy beats medium and so forth?

Eh
 kinda. It’s just a hitbox collision thing.

Does your move hit the opponent’s green box (ie, their hittable character box)? If so, your move will hit them. If their move is also hitting your green box at the same time, the attacks will trade regardless of strength.

If your move is NOT hitting the green box, is it hitting the red box of your opponent’s attack instead? If so, decide based on the priority system who wins that exchange.

The only time the priority system comes into play is if two red boxes collide and also AREN’T hitting the character’s green box. Yes, that can only happen if both characters’ moves are in active frames, but there are times (ie, when you hit a green box) when both attacks can be active and the priority system is not checked at all.

When you throw a move, your move has to finish before you can do anything else (including jumping, moving, crouching, another move
).

A move is divided into three parts: startup, active and recovery. So, you can move again when recovery ends.

Active is the window in the middle of the move during which the move can actually hurt the opponent. They can hit you during active only if they make contact with your character’s hitbox while avoiding your move’s hitbox.

Startup is the beginning of your move. Button press until the first active frames. You can be hit during startup.

Recovery is the end of your move. After the last active frame until the move completes and you can move again. You can be hit during recovery.

Each move is a configuration of a startup window, active window and recovery window. Together, they define the move and imply how to use the move. If the active window is shifted forward, then the move is probably characterized by short startup and long recovery. It’s likely a good punish, but it leaves you really vulnerable if you whiff.

If the active window is shifted backward, then the move is probably characterized by long startup and short recovery. This likely makes it safe on block and not so regrettable on whiff. However, longer startup windows make moves easy to interrupt, if your opponent has the reflexes.

Most moves have short active windows–they can only hurt your opponent during a very brief frame of time. If a move has a long active window, then it’s probably a move that makes your character unique, and it’s a very important tool in their toolset. RAAM’s medium Emergence, for example, has 20 active frames, which is 1/3 of a second of activity. That’s extraordinary, and it makes Emergence a really, really good anti-air tool.

if you happen to see someone doing sick manuals and wonder how the frame data Dosent add up its also because of the way KI handles the net code for online vs.

dojo is less forgiving and strict

where’s 22 come from, the data says 23? the only unexpected number is adding a first active frame so I don’t understand where 22 came from

Hmm I think I made an off by one error. My mistake.

sweet thanks. i’ve gone on a frame data hunt through the forums making sure I understand everything and that one post threw me off. thanks for the clarification