Character Backstory - Death is no Obstacle

Kan-Ra had a posse! 4 horseman all day! Now if only Kan-Ra’s taunt was the Ric Flair shuffle and Woooooooo!

1 Like

PAX South 2016, Killer Instinct World Cup, AND Kan-Ra’s new expanded official backstory all in one whole week: FTW! NEATO! WICKED! SWEET! EXCELLENT! AWESOME! PERFECT! SUPREME VICTORY! ULTRA VICTORY! ULTRA COMBO! KILLER! GODLIKE! RAD! GNARLY! KING! GET HYPE! THE HYPE IS REAL! KI 4 LIFE! LONG LIVE KI! :grinning: :smiley: :grin: :smile: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Awesome backstory. I really like this character and want him to be my secondary, but I think I should wait until S3 first just in case they change him drastically or something

Kan-Ra had three followers that the king also cursed? Interesting. Handsome eh? I can see why he has that big smile.

1 Like

That’s where I’m at too. I think IG knows people’s issues with Kan Ra and what legitimate issues lie beneath the conversation when separating the technical from the stylistic from the general frustration and based on their work with season 2, I’m highly confident they’ll be able to make a version of this character that I still thoroughly enjoy while improving him in the necessary areas.

So since all the S3 balance changes are gonna be announced at the KI World Cup on Saturday are hints/teases to S3 balance changes in these backstories gonna be omitted from now on?

This was probably one of the most fun bios to read just because of the sheer scope of it. Thousands of years of story telling compounded into a single page with tons of references to the other characters (past, present, and future) made it more than worthy of a dramatic reading.

As I was reading through about Kan-Ra regretting his decision to unleash a demon army and how he wanted to start searching for heroes and balancing forces against the evil of Gargos…
Is it possible that I see hints of Kan-Ra becoming more of a good guy? That’s quite a change of heart…
“He wishes to get these heroes etc so he may have the power to control both good and evil and have total dominion of the world yarharhar”
#DARNIT KAN DO YOU NEVER LEARN?

Edited note: Super hype for Riptor’s bio next week. Wonder if they’ll do something totally out of left field in the theme of Riptor’s trailer and Fulgore’s updated bio.

1 Like

It’s no secret that Keits is a big fan of MvC3, and you get the feeling that he went too far making some characters play as if they’re in MvC3, seemingly forgetting that as relatively fast-paced as KI is compared to Street Fighter, its mechanics are nowhere near as fast, spammy and crazy as MvC3’s.

People complain about Kan-Ra, but I also feel that Maya with her unrelentlessly fast dagger pressure in and outside of instinct and crazy mobility is just too much for many, if not most, characters to handle. Aria too with her ability to fill the screen with junk…

Some of these characters feel shoehorned into KI, and I hope we don’t see that in Season 3.

What I’d like to know is, why was his backstory changed so much from when he was first introduced? Originally, Kan-ra had cast a spell on the Queen to fall in love with him and to kill the King or something to that effect. The King learned of the plot from the Queen (I think the spell broke or something, the King found out) and had her killed (don’t remember) and Kan-ra cursed and left to die and banished.

Much like the new back story, Kan-ra sought out magicians, alchemists, hermits,etc… to reverse the curse, but instead found counter curses to keep him alive and relieve the pain.

Both stories are interesting, but just curious why the change. If I can find the original, I’ll link it. Found it!

Cursed to rot after a failed assassination attempt on his king over 2000 years ago, Kan-Ra endured for centuries by constantly balancing the curses he places on himself with the boons provided by dark magic and artifacts. His solitary goal: to gain knowledge that will grant him absolute power over all of mankind. After getting imprisoned by Maya’s order hundreds of years earlier, an Ultratech attack on Maya’s city accidentally frees Kan-Ra — releasing him back onto an unsuspecting world that’s full of new mysteries and ripe for his… dissection.

and his original Bio

iography
Babylon, 559 BC: Kan-Ra is named vizier, head advisor to the throne.

Over his years of study in this position, he becomes fascinated with the King’s enigmatic royal guard – a living statue – and the magic that keeps it alive. From all of Kan-Ra’s cautious attempts to observe and study the creature, he deduces that its power source could theoretically keep it alive forever. The thought of being able to study and learn until the end of time enthralls Kan-Ra and feeds his obsession for knowledge.

Scholarly research in the royal libraries into past wonders and lost arts of magic fuels his ambition; Kan-Ra feels that as the smartest person in Babylon only he is qualified to rule. He seduces the King’s wife using a charm spell and begins setting in motion a plan to take the throne by using the Queen as his assassin.

Lacking the power to control the spell effectively, it wears off prematurely. The Queen, thinking herself simply coming to her senses after being seduced by Kan-Ra, is overwhelmed by guilt, killing herself and leaving a note detailing her and Kan-Ra’s betrayal.

Enraged, the King has Kan-Ra hunted down and captured by his royal guard, who brings a bloodied and beaten Kan-Ra before the throne. The King summons his most powerful sorcerers and curses Kan-Ra with a withering curse- a painful dark spell that disintegrates flesh and organs slowly… and painfully. Writhing in agony, rotting a bit more every day, Kan-Ra was exiled, his ambition doomed to wither away into nothingness along with him.

In exile Kan-Ra uses what little knowledge he has gained of magic to slow down the withering of his organs and body. While the King assumes he is dead, Kan-Ra’s intellect is focused on reversing the rot so that he can have his revenge. He tracks down sorcerers and occultists versed in dark magic, learning what he can. Unable to slow his rot further, he instead places upon himself other curses that work to offset the rot. He seeks out magical artifacts and talismans to ease the pains and ailments these layers of curses cause him, carrying them on him in an ever-growing number; a magical balancing act of curses and boons at play throughout his being.

This

Old backstory detailed more about his motives to conspire

1 Like

Safe to assume that while it gave us alot of details, this is just putting in a few extra peices togeather. I’m sure if you can get all the paragraphs in order the right way from both stories it could make more sense.

For example: in this bio you posted, it said Kan tried to offset his rot with a bunch of curses and boons. Well in this new bio it got a bit more detailed on where he got these from and the people he saw.

It detailed to us how Kan-Ra got his daggers etc.

It’s also possible the King was suspicious of the conspiracy but this was only confirmed later when Kan-Ra got his queen involved.

The new bio even mentions his ability to trick people into his side almost in the same way he did that to the queen in the old bio.

I think all this did was give us a brief of his past and now a look out towards the future all the while giving us another side of Kan’s coin.

1 Like

I don’t understand this comment, particularly the use of the term “uninteresting”. Where did that come from?

Likewise, where did the idea of him becoming intentionally un-“viable” come from?

You are right in that the old info and this new info need to be reconciled. I don’ think this new bio necessarily erases what was there before, but at the same time it (they) don’t explicitly acknowledge the old / established info.

Old bio is meant to work with the new one. There’s entire additional pages on Kan-Ra’s bio that would push it into TL;DR territory quickly.

4 Likes

Donno if they’re already in the game, but will the stories be fully included into the char BIO somewhere in the game? Just to really cement it in that its Canon.

2 Likes

"Kan Ra, after having discovered the magnificence of modern day computing, swiftly mastered dominance over “The Internet.” After spending years scrolling through LOLCats, answering emails from Nigerian princes, and failing miserably at various MOBA games, Kan Ra discovered Ashleymadison dot com. Seeking to test whether his persuasive abilities had returned, he made a profile, but was enraged to discover the only messages he was receiving were automatically generated by computers.

In an impotent rage, Kan Ra stopped by his neighborhood Starbucks for a latte, and decided to take his anger out on Aganos."

[LEAKED DOCUMENT ENDS/]

10 Likes

I think that is awesome!..now can we get all that in one place? The OG Kan-ra bio is ONLY (as far as I can tell) written on the KI Central website … err…never mind…it’s gone now, updated with the “new” bio.

I think my point is made…

The old stuff is getting squeezed out, and effectively overwritten just because it is going unmentioned.

I was pleasantly surprised by Kan Ra upon his arrival!

I’d love to see his handsome human skin! He had magic then as well, please!!!

Also this group of Four!

I’m SO hyped for Tusk now!!!
(After Kim)

1 Like

Pretty much what I think was your intentions and I think they call back to one another fairly easily

1 Like

I hope Alexander the Great is the next guest character…Greece is waiting.