Can we change how things work here

Hey guys I have only been here a a little wile since last year and may I say I’m really starting to dislike the way the forum are run here opposed to other forums I have visited so can we have some changes.

Number 1. General Discussion and Off Topic : I have found so many Killer Instinct Topics that have been moved into the Off Topic section and this really annoys me. I’m sorry but where I come from if you have a Topic Related to what the Forum is about no matter what it is even if its as simply as the name Killer Instinct in the Title then that should be in General Discussion because it is still a Killer Instinct Discussion. No matter what if it’s a Killer Instinct Discussion then it should be in General Discussion after all that is what General Discussion means.

Number 2. Locking Threads: I find this also to be irritating when thread are locked normally when a Moderator thinks the Thread has run its course or has gone off topic. Just because a Moderation think’s it has run it’s course dose not mean other people comment on this thread are finished. As for the Thread going off Topic it would be better if someone was appointed to put the threads back on Topic Opposed to just plain out locking them and stopping everyone from comment, This is a place for everyone to have discussions is it not Threads are bound to go off topic some times punishing people for some times going off topic is just silly and wrong.

Number 3. Moving Thread’s or Locking them Because of Double up’s or being in the wrong Category: This is one other thing that annoys me if not the most to have a moderator do something to your thread with no warning at all. Some people may of posted something some where by accident or for a reason again with double up’s some people may of posted it for a reason or they simply did not know someone else has already posted the same subject. It would be nice if Moderators could Discuss why a person has posted there Thread in that place they did and then give warning what there going to do before Moving /Merging/Locking the Threads.

These are my pet peeves about the Forum and the Changers I personally would like to see Thank you for your time.

Rants do not belong in General Discussion. If it is anti-productive, it deserves to go off topic and locked. “This game is for losers” with just ranting does not belong. [quote=“UndeadShinobi6, post:1, topic:17327”]
Killer Instinct in the Title
[/quote]
What? Alright. Killer Instinct, the TV show by Fox goes in general discussion? What?[quote=“UndeadShinobi6, post:1, topic:17327”]
I find this also to be irritating when thread are locked normally when a Moderator thinks the Thread has run its course or has gone off topic. Just because a Moderation think’s it has run it’s course dose not mean other people comment on this thread are finished.
[/quote]

It doesn’t matter. There is a point where the thread is going no where and needs to end. I don’t want thread “Combo Breakers suck #69” to be a 420 post thread. Just end it. If people are going off topic, mods warn them in advance. If it continues to be off topic, then locks happen.

Rants Happen because people are Un-Satisfied they should be aloued anti Productive or not if a rant is made its there because someone has a problem and that why they Rant. Yous should try to talk with the person and try to fix the problem or explain why thing’s are they way they are in a way that dose not sound like you guys are being Jerks because believe it or not I have seen Moderators explaining thing in a way that looks more like there talking down to the person instead of talking with the person Locking the subject after someone has ranted only makes it seem like yous are not listening to the problems people are having which just makes people more angry then being helpful and it give them more a reason to Rant because now there not only ranting about there 1st Problem there ranting about how there being treated.

Most topics that have been moved contain more then just titles they talk about the in there Subject and even talking about the TV show can be connected to the game if people are talking about similarity which can come out in the comment and not the initial post.[quote=“Sasuke99I, post:2, topic:17327”]
It doesn’t matter. There is a point where the thread is going no where and needs to end. I don’t want thread “Combo Breakers suck #69” to be a 420 post thread. Just end it. If people are going off topic, mods warn them in advance. If it continues to be off topic, then locks happen.
[/quote]

The number of post on a thread should not matter what so ever. Quite frankly sir I find these answers to be Disgraceful and a Joke. It seems no compromise is even being considered here and I now Understand why I am slowly seeing more and more K.I fans Migrating to YouTube to complain about the way the forums are being run. I sure hope you take note of that and take a look at how this place is being ran if you will not change anything I have suggested that is fine but you may want to change something if you wish to keep people happy with the place. As it is I have counted 4 Different people talking about the forums in a out side source expressing how displeased they are with how things are treated here. I hope you have a good day sire.

Rants happen because someone doesn’t know how to properly communicate and would rather angrily shout as loud as they can an in attempt to get what they want, which is akin to a temper tantrum. If you wish to have any point you make taken with any level of seriousness and civility, you need to show respect to everyone, devs, forum members, and mods alike, and make an intelligent, thought out, articulated point as free from emotional outbursts as possible. Shouting till you get what you want will often get you nothing at all, as no one around is going to even acknowledge a temper tantrum, which is what most rants amount to in the long run.

If there is an issue you have with a game, a rant post is NEVER an acceptable outlet to bring it to light. You’ll be surprised how a little respect and civility will take you much farther, and produce much better results, as we are very capable of conducting productive conversations about a wide variety of topics.

I would like to see evidence of this particular moment then, as that’s a pretty big accusation.

Most rants are locked because there is nothing productive about the conversation. There is no constructive criticism, usually vitriol, ad hominem attacks, and insults at developers or other forum members, to which nothing helpful is ever gleaned. Forum members don’t have to put up with insults, and the forum mods and the developers don’t have to play host to an angry persons whims, and they can lock an unproductive conversation.

Let’s say for the sake of argument that general discussion needs to be reserved for issues that can immediately affect Killer Instinct the game. That includes discussion on character balance, system changes, mechanics, suggestions to future updates for the game, etc. Things that directly affect the game. If a player discovers some piece of option select tech that he feels can absolutely make a character OP, or a group is trying to make a case whether a particular character needs buffs, discussion that affects the gameplay should be in general discussion.

The KI TV show doesn’t in any way truly impact the game at all, it doesn’t bear fruit on a discussion such as should Jago’s damage ender be nerfed, or should Spinal gain more meter off blocked projectiles. Things like discussing a TV show, movies and merchandising tend to fall in a miscellaneous category. These are what if and wish scenarios that people think are good ideas, but don’t directly impact the here and now and how the game plays. It doesn’t impact the game balance, character and system mechanics, aesthetics, etc., and therefore are usually moved to off-topic to compensate.

Well, if someone makes a post about changing X and by post number 72 the devs say they are going to change X, then you’ve won. Why then is there any need to keep the conversation going for another 500 posts? The truth is, there isn’t. Once a thread has reached a conclusion of either hitting the goal they set out to achieve, or the thread is derailed so hopelessly it will never get back on track, it needs to be closed so that people can move on to a better point of conversation.

I’m sorry that they are dissatisfied with the forums, but there are always two sides to most of the stories on here, and some people play a victim card in a conversation a little too quickly. They aren’t always as kind and courteous as they would have you believe.

My best advice is refrain from insults, be civil, present clear, thought out logic, and be willing to hear out people’s criticisms, and when they give you their criticisms, don’t get overly defensive as if they are attacking you, as they are only considering a viewpoint you may not have originally considered or found something you may have missed.

We welcome good conversation here on the forums. But you have to understand, there are rules, and these rules keep the community growing, moving forward, keeping the game alive and constantly updating.

1 Like

Been here over a year now. The only topics moved into Off-Topic were non-productive rants that went nowhere even with people trying to help. Title is one thing, comtent is another.

I don’t think you’ve been very observant of the methods used in moderating these forums. You’ll notice at least one warning from the Moderators to get back on-topic before closure, except in particularly toxic cases where even a layman can tell you its unproductive.

Yea sorry, I used to moderate a forum that tried its damndest to maintain a single topic for each thing to avoid clutter and I liked that. It made things easier to search for and made the forums look a lot better. So I’m all for maintaining that style here.
To your point, before locking your thread you’re also given a link to the topic where your issue has been discussed at length before, so if you just didn’t search then you should have no problem taking your conversation to the topic when someone seeks it out for you.

Sounds like what you have is an issue with moderation practices, which can be discussed in more detail via PM, should you choose.

Appreciate the concerns.