Can this game become bigger?

Iā€™ve had a drink or four and reading this post again brought something to mind.

My wife has been playing the Far Habor DLC so Iā€™ve had zero access to the Xbox - thus, Iā€™ve been playing some SFV on my PS4 to keep my basic execution in tact while I wait for access to KI again. After having played for several days now, Iā€™ve come to agree with a commonly made observation about SFV:

That game is quite heavily skewed in the favor of offense, and jump-ins are crazy ubiquitous in the current state of the game. Playing defensively in SFV really seems to be an uphill battle. Playing footsies almost seems to distract you from Anti-Airing too much to bother; and the fact that anti-airs are about 1/8th of the damage of a jump-in combo at best (unless youā€™re Cammyā€¦ god bless Cammy) so you playing a solid ground-game might likely lose the match for you unless you are 98%+ accurate with your anti-airs.

Itā€™s really funny that KI gets called out for being YOLO and whatnot, when playing defensively in KI is actually far more rewarding than playing defensively in the current iteration of Street Fighter.

After reading this topic, I have contacted the French KI organization to help them find a way (ways actually) to make the French KI community bigger.

Thank you for the inspiration.

4 Likes

I have been focusing on SFV lately due to a tournament I was practicing for, but from now on I am aiming to have two dedicated KI streams every week; thinking Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Tonight Iā€™m doing pt 3/26 which means Glacius.

Feel free to stop by. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

NICE!

Might not be able to make it today but Iā€™ll try to catch up with you on Thursday!

Thanks for checking back with us. :thumbsup:

1 Like

Had fun watching you play @INDIxion. Donā€™t sweat having a rough go of it - Glacius definitely isnā€™t one of the easier characters in the cast to use. Keep at it and youā€™ll be cracking fools consistently before long :thumbsup:

Look forward to tuning in on Thu :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Glacius :relaxed:

1 Like

I also enjoyed your stream. Iā€™m glad youā€™re having fun, despite you admitting you have a hard time breaking (everyone does, really) and then you repeatedly fought the hardest characters to break in the game, over and over. Itā€™s pretty easy to just say ā€œI donā€™t know whatā€™s going onā€ because, wellā€¦ those characters are designed to be confusing during combos.

Learning to play the combo game in KI (not just doing combos, but picking up on when is a good time to break and when isnā€™t) takes quite a long timeā€¦ you will probably still be learning it after you have applied your SF fundamentals to the rest of the game and are succeeding.

My main advice is to sprinkle in a few counter breakers here and there, especially on opponents who are very clearly mashing some breaker strength as soon as they get hit. You can try to vary the strength of your combo to get a lockout, and this will work pretty often, but counter breaking is also a good idea here. The player wonā€™t be good enough to punish you if youā€™re wrong anyway, and it will give you opportunity to practice some counter breaker combos! Iā€™ve listed all the max damage counter breaker combos on my ki.infil.net site, and they are all very easy to remember (usually some variation of heavy auto-double, light linker x 2, then do a shadow move, then do an ender).

Basically, if you are playing an opponent, you get a hit, and then you notice them immediately mash breaker (whether they are right or wrong), I would store that information the same way you would store ā€œoh this person likes to mash DP on wakeupā€ in SF4. Next time you hit them, block the DP (ie, counter break them) and hit them for 50%. Seeing that your opponent mashes breaker is very important information to a KI player, and it shouldnā€™t be that hard to sprinkle a counter breaker or two into your game here and there.

1 Like

And in addition to Infilā€™s solid advice, I recommend just kind of watching people combo you and trying to see if theyā€™re ever varying strength. Several of your opponents on Tuesday were pretty consistent about only doing a single strength within combos. If you see the same autodouble come out again and again and again, then start breaking those as best you can. If nothing else, itā€™ll give you some experience with looking for particular combo patterns in opponents, which is one of KIā€™s more important ā€œsoftā€ skills.

I also recommend only trying to break heavies when starting out. Theyā€™re slow and reactable for the most part, and help train the ā€œI recognize that, I will break nowā€ part of your KI-brain. Itā€™s also much easier to break in general if youā€™re looking for a particular strength, so this method should help minimize unnecessary lockouts. As you get better at this skill, soon youā€™ll be able to pick other strengths to look out for and break, and eventually youā€™ll be able to kind of just do it on the fly. And donā€™t get discouraged when you make the inevitable mistakes within the breaker game - breaking is hard, and something weā€™ve all had to work on (a lot) to get better at! :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll be Windfoxx in your chat today, to avoid any further confusion :joy: Looking forward to the stream :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Is that actually your Twitch user? I guess I was speaking with you in Gutterā€™s stream a couple days ago without knowing lol

1 Like

It is. I nearly forget sometimes. Lol

Lol. Yeah, thatā€™s me. Itā€™s kind of funny, because I generally always recognize you guys, but know that you probably have no idea who I am and just think Iā€™m some random Hisako aficionado who doesnā€™t actually know anything about the game :joy:

2 Likes

No way dude - I will always be the random Hisako aficionado that doesnā€™t actually know anything about the game :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(j/k I actually love talking to you in Twitch chat LOL )

1 Like

Havenā€™t had the time to read all your responses but Iā€™m glad you enjoyed my play!

The Glacius struggles continues NOW. :smiley:

Guess Iā€™ll put my 2 cents in.

I personally love the visuals of KI and do not understand how people cannot see whats going on with individual characters. I mean its not like SSB Wii on 8 player smash which can truly be confusing.

The audio when connecting hits i understand what your saying. I been playing KI since it was originally released so im use to it now but i do remember when i 1st played, i too thought the hits sounds were underwhelming as well so i get it.

Well hope you enjoy KI as much as a majority of us in the forums do.

PS
Dan was freakin awesome in SF4

1 Like

Gawd my stream yesterday was balls because my room mate had switched out our default modem for an inexplicable reasonā€¦ Streamed for about an hour and then everyone was getting mad buffering. >_>

Today itā€™ll go better though. Still working on my Glacius, I feel I wanna learn a little bit more with him before heading to Thunder. :>

Starting 21:00 CET (5 minutes from now). Hope to see some of you in the chat. :slight_smile:

(also sorry if this is a bad thread to post the stream in, if there is another one to do this in, refer me there)

If this is something youā€™re planning to do pretty regularly, it might be worth creating a separate thread for it, and you can tag those members who are interacting with you here or in the stream in your OP, this way they are aware of the new thread.

If heā€™d let me know when, Iā€™d be more than happy to get my feet wet. :wink:

Pt. 4/26 (Thunder) is coming up tonight 20:00-ish CET.

I have created an official thread in the General section where I from now on will post my streams. :slight_smile:

Hope to see you guys. :*

1 Like

:arrow_down::arrow_lower_right::arrow_right:+:thumbsup:

1 Like

Whenā€™s KI?

2 Likes