Can Darkstalkers make a return?

This deserves to be pulled out for truth. So often what the community thinks they want is really a terrible idea. If Capcom had waited another two years for MvCi can you imagine?

1 Like

During the Street Fighter Panel at SDCC, Ono mentioned that there was something he promised 6 years ago that he wants to see through.

“Darkstalkers are NOT DEAD?”

disney would go on to bring in fox, and bam! 
you have xmen in the vanilla roster. ppl are happy, ppl are buying the game. exactly sir
exactly.

1 Like

What would be really really awesome is Dark Stalkers VS KI. All in the KI combo system
oh man! I know that would never happen
but it would be so cool to play out side of the SF combat system IMO

2 Likes

Ever since the SFvsDS comic, I hope someday after the revival of the game, we’d have a crossover!

The way I see Necalli, Darkstalkers would suit him instead.

I could easily see that being a big factor. I remember Max making a few videos where he lamented the lack of X-Men characters. I’d be curious to know though just how much that contributed to people not getting this game.

I think there was just so much bad press and feedback around the game. You had no X-Men, you had people posting screenshots to show how bad some of the characters looked, you had most outlets giving it an 8 or less and absolutely trashing the story mode. There was such a cloud of negativity around this game before it even hit shelves that any one of those things could’ve turned some away (or some or all of them for that matter).

We certainly don’t know that for sure, but I think it’s safe to say that if they had to release SFV that way after how well SF4 did for so long, I’m guessing you’re probably right.

If that’s the case, then I still think they could lure people in to pay full price out of the gate provided they learned from their mistakes with SFV. I’ve already outlined some of those mistakes.

However, while I do think that there’s a market for Darkstalkners, as I said before, I do think that even if the characters are well designed and animated and they have a few modes for everyone right out of the gate, it’d still be a risk, for sure.

Man, I hope so!!

Yeah, as much as I love the characters and their crazy super moves, I’ve never been a huge fan of the controls in Darkstalkers. I tend to dislike charge moves, and some of the stuff you had to press to do supers was just flat out weird. Here’s how you do Anakaris’ super move called Pharoah Decoration: HK, MP LK, Down, LP, MK HP.

WTF? That’s a super move? Not only that, but stuff like Bishamon’s Kirisute Gomen, which is just a grab, is back, roll to forward, then then upforward roll to up back and punch.

I’m not saying EVERY move has to be d/f puch, but dang lol.

2 Likes

i remember the huge negative press they got when chun li looked like a gerber baby rofl. then you had dante with the crack head eyes death stare when you just refused to give him 20 bucks.

for such an important FG franchise the timing of its release was bad. looking back, its pretty funny at just how the universe itself seemed to be flowing against the introduction of a new marvel game. to add insult to injury, mvci was pronounced DOA soon as that first DBZ trailer dropped.

then you had the drama involving mr wizard and capcom which also culminated into mvci not getting into EVO. i dont quite remember what happened, but i was told about whatever incident took place by a friend. its a real shame id say.

btw if ono is hinting at revisiting darkstalkers thatd be awesome but i just dont see it happening

A lot of those controls were experiments to see what would work and many borrowed from the (I think I awful) super commands you see in SNK games. These were designed for arcades and intended to be both mysterious and insanely difficult. This meant you had to work your butt off to ensure you had even a 75% chance of executing the move consistently. It also created this (I think) false sense in the FGC that “getting good” at fighting games is about execution.

Everyone can be into their own thing but I much prefer a game like KI where the execution barrier is low and the contest is more about decision making.

1 Like