Call of the sky

Please remove Thunder’s current call of the sky and bring back the original one with the lightning bolt instead. The dash is completely useless and thunder needs a way to get in, the lighting bolt is way more effective for this reason.

For those who disagree, tell me how the dash can be useful or perhaps better than the lighting bolt.

3 Likes

How does the lighting bolt give him a way to get in?

The lightning bold didn’t let him get in either. Let’s face it, if you were hitting someone with the lightning bolt then clearly that was an opponent you were going to be able to beat anyway.

3 Likes

Then I guess call of the sky is completely useless one way or another.

2 Likes

Well with me, it forces the opponent to get closer.

1 Like

Well the new Call of the Sky can let you go through fireballs and stuff. After Shadow Command Grab,you can charge one up and use it for a mixup.

2 Likes

How about this: ONLY in his instinct he can call his lightning strike.

2 Likes

The new version of CotS is undeniably useful. That being said, I did like (and prefer) the older version of CotS and IMPO I think it was highly underrated by many. You can easily punish anticipated jumps from half-screen or further away and still have time to dash in once or twice to start an easy and aggressive mixup, since Thunder has such good range with many of his normals (HP, f+HP, HK, and d+HK come to mind) and virtually ALL of his specials. That’s why I liked it.

With the new version, I often have trouble finding the right opportunity to activate it. Even if I do activate it, say after shadow CotS, I still have to be careful not to accidentally dash when I don’t want to, since it’ll waste the charge. Furthermore, I only have a limited window to use it, which means my opponent can potentially wait it out or bait me into using and wasting it. I find most of the time, I can only activate it from full-screen, where it’s pretty much useless anyways, since the whole point is to get in, and it by itself won’t be enough. Sure, it can get me past projectiles and the like, but I find it very rare that I can get in close enough with it to do much at all, if anything. At least with the original CotS, it did some damage when it hit, despite being easily blocked and or avoided via dash (but if you used it when they had the opportunity to do either, you were already using it wrong).

3 Likes

Unpopular opinion, but I’d like “Call of Sky” to work like Pikachu’s down special in Smash+A short burst of speed

1 Like

That’s not too bad.

Exactly in place of run away and spam fireball or other projectiles​:anguished::anguished::anguished:

1 Like

hey @M00NLightNinja, insulting the devs (and everyone else) just earned you a 3 day vacation from the forums. Enjoy.

3 Likes

Really? The new one is useless? Use it after shadow command throw so you have a solid mixup afterwards.

2 Likes

I’d hate to pile on or be a grammar n@zi, but with your type of spelling and sentence structures, don’t ever make statements like that.

:expressionless: EVER.

On to the topic:
I found the mechanic interesting when it was an actual attack that caused a knockdown – especially for punishing characters like Sadira, but I think the new version is interesting as well. I’ve noticed a lot of high-level players cause hard-knockdowns and charge themselves immediately afterwards.

@shadowdemon006

How about this: ONLY in his instinct he can call his lightning strike.

I’m sure we could find its uses, but when he’s in instinct, it would kind of be redundant. Thunder’s main drawback is his speed and difficulty >safely< closing the distance between him and his opponent. I’d always seen both versions of CotS to help in this since one causes a hard knock down and another gives him a short invulnerable speed dash. The main purpose of his instinct is to give him a way of closing in to deal heavy damage and it can be used “infinitely” – so what would be the point of activating a single-strike attack from across the stage?

1 Like

I personally liked the old COS, and almost never find the new one to be useful. Part of that might be my play style, but I believe that the old version was a useful tool that he should still have access to. I really liked that I could use it to counteract constant jumping/teleporting, but the activation time is long enough that you can’t spam it and it’s easily blocked.

Not saying we need to get rid of the new one, but at least restore the old one too.

1 Like

I had a discussion about this with him late last night; he’s definitely upset and seems to resent you guys (he adamantly believes that you’re wrong). However, I was able to make him understand the importance of what he did wrong and why you took the action against him that you did. Now, as for whether or not that will prevent him from acting out emotionally in the future, especially from something so trivial, I cannot say.

…but I did what I could, as a friend - I don’t like the idea of seeing someone who is a part of this community fall from grace.

1 Like

The thing is, he’s bringing it on himself, every single time. Every time they do this it’s clearly stated why they took action but he keeps doing the same things again. Nobody can stop him from reacting that way except himself, and he needs to start acting like an adult, in my opinion.

The way he responds and reacts to things tends to come off as the reaction of a petulant child.

1 Like

Make no mistake, I have noticed.

So there is no denying that thunders weakness is fighting at range, he has no zoning tools. This is obvious to anyone who has just started playing him.

This however does not make him a weak character. He has tools to get in and he’s extremely strong when he’s in.

The issue becomes that his weaknesses are far easier to see than his strengths. Any low level/new player can see his weaknesses. But it’s not until you become strong with the character and you understand the power of his mixups, damage and setups that you truly realize how strong he is and why his strengths counter his weaknesses.

Thunder has a command throw, damage ender, hard knockdown, safe jump in setups, battery ender, projectile invulnerable moves, low, overhead, dash through crossup, etc. He has a ton of tools at his disposal for a variety of situations. He’s not weak and he doesn’t need a zoning tool to be balanced.

New players take hard knockdowns and battery enders for granted they often finish with damage enders not understanding that giving yourself some meter or landing a hard knockdown into a setup can often lead to more overall damage than the damage ender they were going to use.

1 Like