Blocking in killer instinct

Hey, I’ve said that it was basically mental gymnastics, ofc it’s practically pointless :stuck_out_tongue:

Indeed, but important part is that he had TP that was faster than some normals on several characters and had perfect tracking. It was OTT, but after frame data nerf it became more than reasonable.

TPs in MK aren’t that fast and would not contribute that much to offence of some characters who are already capable of dual-route mixups in MKX, even if we consider that it’s ranged tool - as I’ve said, Inferno and Lasher do exist and they don’t break the game due to measures that balance them out (unsafety, weakness to pressure etc.).

They also prove that it’s reasonably within human capabilities to defend yourself against things much worse than what would exist in hypothetical b2b MK, which was my entire point from the beginning. Yes, GG has a lot of defensive options, but that actually means that it’s more taxing to defend yourself in that game mentally, even though they allow to survive against more powerful offence of that game - you MUST be able to use them. Using more defensive tools against more powerful offence is way harder than using less against weaker offence.

Please, don’t take this discussion too seriously. It was supposed to be light-hearted “what if” thing.

MK games are actually frowned upon because not many other fighting games have a dedicated block button. Cross ups are not going to happen because the user just need to block low or high. KI and SF you have to block low, high, left right. It’s part of the game and you’ll learn to use it your self to cross people up. Am a Sadira player and if you added a block button to the game she would easily be the worst character in the game. You say it’s unbalanced but for Sadira that’s pretty much the only way to get in. She has no wakeup, she has no standing fireballs, she has no overheads, she can mostly only get to a combo by tricking people and even then it’s tough because a lot of characters have DP’s that stop her from being anywhere on top of them.

Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive and (arguably the most hardcore fighter there is) Virtua Fighter all use a block button. MK is the only prominent 2D game but it’s not alone in the FGC by any stretch of the imagination. If you want, the Smash games also use a block button.

I’m not trying to be picky, I just don’t want to conflate the rampant “my game is awesome, yours sucks!” fanboy criticism of MKs block button with the legitimate discussion of what the mechanic actually does. There is nothing magical or more intuitive about holding back to block than holding a button to block. It’s just different.

You are absolutely right about Sadira’s game being wholly dependent on the type of ambiguous cross ups that are only possible with a b2b system. Could you alter Sadira to make her work in a block button game? Probably. Cross ups were actually a thing in MK 3 because you could cross over your opponent and then hit kick and catch them trying to anti air you or pull some other move. On block you were typically very safe so jump overs were pretty standard. It’s different than what Sadira does now, but not unfathomably different.

2 Likes

A block button? Gross. No thanks. You want to make a change to the game that you haven’t played yet?

And that’s not just a small change that that would change the entire way to game plays.

Okay people you can stop replying to the original post because that discussion has already ended

Agreed with the rest, but typically 3D FGs are very different matter IMO, so is Smash.

3D fighters are very different, no question, but they make use of one of the two block mechanics. I just wanted to point out that MK is not alone in the universe. Also, it’s worth (edit: noting) that no one says Tekken is weird for using b2b but it’s the exception among 3D fighters.

Yea I find it extremely annoying when people don’t read a post comments before posting. Completely ignorant to discussion that already took place and potentially opening old wounds

You can edit first post by adding something along the lines of “Issues resolved, nothing to see here” at the beginning of your OP.

And DoA uses both at once, depending on what’s more convenient for the player. Point being, in a crossup-free (and I mean meaningful and hard to react ctossups here) world of 3D it’s mostly a matter of interface, not so much game design.