Best lightsaber duel in the Star Wars film saga poll

• Qui Gon Jinn & Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Maul : episode 1
  • Obi-Wan Kenobi & Anakin Skywalker vs Count Dooku : episode 2
  • Yoda vs Count Dooku : episode 2
  • Obi-Wan Kenobi & Anakin Skywalker vs Count Dooku : episode 3
  • Obi-Wan Kenobi vs General Grievous : episode 3
  • Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Agen Kolar & Saesee Tiin vs Darth Sidious : episode 3
  • Yoda vs Darth Sidious : episode 3
  • Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Anakin Skywalker : episode 3
  • Obi-Wan Kenobi vs Darth Vader : episode 4
  • Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader : episode 5
  • Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader : episode 6
  • Finn vs Kylo Ren : episode 7
  • Rey vs Kylo Ren : episode 7

0 voters

Everyone gets up to 3 votes.

2 Likes

I only needed 1…

For me it is the Darth vs Luke fight in RofJ. The emotion, the music… It was so freaking epic and it didn’t feel like a choreographed dance like the fights in the prequels did.

2 Likes

IMO the most memorable part for me in all of the Star Wars movies. I don’t know why, but it just stuck with me. It has a lot of emotion, Obi wan doesn’t want to do it, but Anikin leaves him no choice. The prequels may be hated, but this seen is really great!

2 Likes

The part that I dont like in this fight is Vader goes from bad â– â– â–  to all of a sudden totally weak and cant handle a few fast sword strikes. Its like why? Why is he all of a sudden out of breath and weak? He never got hit, and he never exerted any more energy that previous fights.

It just turn on him way to fast. Not realistic enough for me

You have to remember two things, he’s not fighting just anybody. He’s fighting his own son. Despite his threats, down deep he truly loves his son. Luke on the other hand, for a brief moment had embraced the dark side. When they first fought at the end of Empire Strikes Back, Luke was still “new” to the Force, but Return of the Jedi though, he had become incredibly powerful.

This is the very reason why the Emperor wanted him to replace Vader.

I voted twice. One for the RotJ fight between Luke and Vader and one for the Episode One fight.

I actually couldn’t decide on a third because there are so many good ones…

The Darth Maul fight is by far the best choreographed fight scene in any of the movies. It’s not even close. It was a whole new type of light saber battle. And I happily paid my money to go sit through a mediocre movie multiple times in the theatre just to watch that scene. It’s unbelievable. It has the added benefit of actually knowing their is real danger, which most of these battles don’t have.

RotJ is just an incredibly emotional scene. The fight itself is good and the use of choral music by John Williams (for what I believe is the only time in the original trilogy) makes this an unforgettable scene.

Behind these two I think both Yoda fights are great. I think the Obi-wan vs Anakin fight is really good - although not quite a slam dunk for me because of too many shenanigans (lava flows and towers and CGI all over the place). I also really like the Rey vs Kylo Ren fight. It really harkened back to the original trilogy and I loved the forest and the snow.

1 Like

Well I understand all of that, but physically, it doesn’t make sense. He goes from bad ■■■ to just completely limp arm and on his death bead just from his cybernetic hand being cut off. NO vital areas were damaged. None. Just becasue he cyber hand was chopped off doesn’t mean he all of a sudden cant breath and is dying.

Unless he went in to some sort of shock?

I can actually answer this… :slight_smile: During their confrontation Luke is channeling his hate into the force. He tapped into the dark side. Vader isn’t being weakened just physically, but mentally as well. Just keeping up with Luke is draining him of his energy. Remember he was already conflicted about turning Luke to the dark side. In this moment, Luke was not conflicted about ending the threat to his sister.

In Episode Bo… Er Two, the same thing happened to Count Dooku when he fought Anakin. Even though he won the match, he was winded due to having to fight Anakin’s force presence. Had Anakin been more experienced, he would have destroyed the Count.

Also note, Vader simply yielded. He wasn’t dying. When he picked up the Emperor he was electrocuted. This damaged his life support system. He sacrificed his life to save Luke’s.

Yeah I guess your right about the lightning…but as a battle, i think its pretty week compared to the other prequels and force awakens

Rey vs Kylo, no question. It was dirty it, was brutal and it was real. Until now, a majority if not almost all duels were choreographed. Not that it was bad but it never had the feel of intensity that a real lightsaber battle would consist of.

Everytime Kylo banged on his wound to make him more angry was felt by the audience, we knew that the anger drove his saber with more force.

All in all, I loved the scene, battle and feud.

1 Like

I loved the Force Awakens and JJ Abrams did a great job but I thought the end lightsaber duel was very disappointing, I wouldn’t say terrible but mediocre at best.

I understand Rey and Kylo Ren aren’t fully trained Jedi or Sith so it wouldn’t make sense to be as polished as the Prequals but it was almost embarrassingly amateurish and sluggish and a part of it felt like little kids stick fighting.