Are we getting any new content this tuesday?

The comic book shop is the place to go if you want something new in the world of KI (so far) this week, but after refreshing my mind on what the Crimson Owl will do via its dossier, I want it to release soon too!

Remember when Sabrewulf had that awesome forward & back dash that was nerfed in Season 2? Well, the Crimson Owl turns your favorite fighter into Season 1 Sabrewulf when it comes to mobility. (with a limited number of crazy dashes, naturally!)

Now that I think about it, I wish I could trade Wulfā€™s relatively useless ā€œFeral Cancelā€ Instinct Mode perk with his fun passive +10% strength bonus (Also nerfed from Season 1!) and/or the awesome forward & backward dashing abilities he had in Season 1. The chip damage bonus is nice, but Wulfā€™s instinct just feels lacking at the momentā€¦ :wolf:

Donā€™t forget to pick up issue 4 of Killer Instinct this week! :sunglasses::+1:

-Zenek

PS. I realized my error when I stated that all 29 fighters have Gold Skins a few weeks ago, but I meant to say ā€œeveryone who was intended to get a Gold Skin.ā€ My bad, fans of Omen, Arbiter, & General RAAM! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

always nice to read your posts, Zenek. i too am also really really interested in the rest of the crimson guardians. i wish i had played the game at the peak of its popularity, i sorta feel like an archeologist reading all the old threads lol

1 Like

Have you watched any flash, dayton, or paul B footage of them using feral cancels?

1 Like

Honestly Zenek, Iā€™m glad you still do this. While it doesnā€™t seem likely that weā€™ll hear from the devs, or anyone else involved with the game in this thread anymore, itā€™s still a nice place to see what might be new in he world of KI this week (even if that news is slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow these days).

I hate to bother @TempusChaoti, @snickerdoodle since Iā€™d be shocked if you two could tell us anything, but do you think you could possibly give us some sort of time frame on when we could expect news pertaining to KIā€™s future? Maybe Iā€™m crazy, but Iā€™m starting to worry that the forums might more or less dry up if we donā€™t hear something relatively soon.

2 Likes

Did I ever mention that I love you guys? (I love you guys) :yellow_heart::robot::yellow_heart:

Aww, thanks so much, @VenomousKeo329! Itā€™s rockstars like you who make me want to take the time to post here whenever I can! :skull::+1:t2:

Iā€™ve played this game since Day One in 2013, (Iā€™ve been a KI fan since 1995!) and itā€™s been a wild rollercoaster of a ride. Going from season to season, learning whatā€™s next, and getting hyped over ā€œthe next big thingā€ has always been exciting and fun. Especially since Iā€™m a massive Rare fan, and itā€™s been ages since my pals at Rare have released a new adventure, and how faithful the crew at Microsoft has been to rebuilding and expanding the world of Killer Instinct. I know things look slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow, as our friend @Iago407 noted, but there were times of slowness between seasons too- I still believe that my theory about replacing fighter #30 with ā€œBatch ā€˜O Ultimates #1ā€ is the reason things are slow these days, but I also think that big things are around the corner.

I DO have a few tips for fighting the slowness, such as winning all of the ā€œWin 20 Ranked matches as ā€˜X Fighterā€™ achievements, or playing to unlock all of the Mimic or Shadow Skins- itā€™s a fun challenge, and hereā€™s hoping that weā€™ll start hearing about something new by the time youā€™ve painted the roster purple. (or green!)

Hi @iDoMusic4Media! Sabrewulf has been my main since Day One, and Iā€™ve been there with every change, both big and small. Yes, Iā€™ve seen high-end play that utilizes Wulfā€™s Feral Cancel, but itā€™s such a situational perk, that I rarely even think to pop instinct to have the option. (I totally should, just for the bonus chip damage though!)

Think about it- Most of the Instinct Mode bonuses are either passive (effortlessly applied to the player), like Glaciusā€™ ice armor or Cinderā€™s ā€œevery special is flame-enhanced,ā€ or super-simple to utilize, such as Riptor (HP & HK moves get a range & damage bonus) or Aganos (Unlimited regenerating Peace Makers). Yes, Wulf has the ability to cancel a move if his opponent blocks, but since heā€™s one of the gameā€™s reigning kings of mix-ups, ā€¦ who cares? It just feels like something that doesnā€™t help me very much while Iā€™m in the need for an easy Instinct boost like the rest of the cast. At the very least, the +10% strength bonus from Season 1 not only felt great to hurt a locked out opponent with, but it matched the awesome instinct animation of Sabrewulf bulking up to the size of a silverback gorilla that much cooler.

@REYNOSOFUA11 at least Omen got the only Color Pack in the game! Thatā€™s got to count for something, right? (And I like his Mountain Dew colors a lot!) It was $1 well spent in my book. Hereā€™s hoping that weā€™ll get more Color Packs like that one in the future; I think that weā€™ll get more of those somedayā€¦

Thanks so much for that, @Iago407- It means a bunch when others appreciate it when I share here on Ultra-Combo. You rock too, man! :skull::call_me_hand:t2:

Iā€™ve touched on how KI fans have dealt with sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow times in the past, and why this lull in the news feels especially slooo- cough Iā€™ll stop that. I totally agree that a spark of news about anything, ANYTHING to look forward to would be a huge mood booster for myself, and the legion of like-minded KI fans who pop in every day to see whatā€™s up. Iā€™m still holding out for fighter #30 myself, but Iā€™d be hyped to hear anything about anything these days. #MoreNewsPrettyPlease? :grin:

Seriously, thanks for the kind words, everyone- KI is by and far my favorite game on the Xbox One, and while other new stuff keeps coming out for the mammoth black box, I will always keep firing up KI on a near-daily basis. Iā€™ll keep supporting this game, spreading the news, and keeping the hype flame alive, and itā€™s awesome that the community has my back. #RockOn

By the way, Iā€™m not leaving my house until tonight/tomorrowā€™s cold snap slithers off into the Atlantic, so I plan on avoiding anything comic-related like the plague until I can grab the book myself on Friday. Aganos rocks, but itā€™s Glacius weather out there! :snowflake:

-Zenek

4 Likes

If / when we have any major news about KIā€™s future, youā€™re only likely to hear it when that news coincides with a release soon following. As Phil said, we (Microsoft) are moving away from early announces for products that arenā€™t shipping soon after.

So, if thereā€™s ever some big announce, the good news is that you wouldnā€™t be waiting long from the announce to say a release, it wouldnā€™t be a lot of time. The bad news is that you wonā€™t hear about it until itā€™s almost done.

19 Likes

Oh no kidding? I didnā€™t know Phil said that, so thanks for letting me know. I think / hope that actually explains why we havenā€™t heard much KI news lately and that thereā€™s still more greatness on the horizon.

At least until then, we still have the KI comic, so thereā€™s still stuff going on in front of the curtain as well. Thanks for the response, Adam!

Weā€™ve got to stop meeting like this- :wink: The Crimson Tiger Guardian has an interesting mechanic thatā€™s like the original Tiger, but on steroids. Once you fill up its meter, the next special attack you hit a blocking opponent with will become unblockable. :tiger:

Once the Crimson Tigerā€™s meter is full, not only does it STAY full, but it means that all of your special attacks become unblockable. I can already see the unlimited Riptor Talon Rakes against a defenseless Gargos at the end of Shadow Lordsā€¦ :tiger:

#CrimsonTigerSoon? :tiger:

Also, I wonder if the promotion of Matt Booty will help KI to get more resources? Time will tell.

Fight On!

-Zenek

1 Like

Itā€™s too late in the day to believe that anythingā€™s coming out this month, but I wanted to leave this amazing gem here:

As amazing as the entirety of this video is, be sure to pay attention from the 14:45 mark onward. :green_heart::purple_heart::green_heart:

Time to fight on through Feb,

-Zenek

5 Likes

Still nothing new I take it?

1 Like

No more ultimates?

Whats new KI for 2018??? Its been really quiet for the past few months so i wonder what they have planned for us this year 2018 since the game not completely finishedšŸ˜’

2 Likes

Scroll up a bit to find the response from Adam Isgreen. Essentially, even if something is on the cards for KI, it wonā€™t be announced until it is near release. So we may have a long wait.

The good news is that issue #5 of the KIller Instinct comic series releases this week, and although Iā€™m picking it up soon, I canā€™t help but to wonder how another piece of KI merch is coming alongā€¦

@rukizzel noted on Twitter that brand-new Killer Instinct trading cards are in the works, but that was a loooooong time ago- Can we please get an update on 'em? @snickerdoodle

They have to be better than the pretty rubbish ones we got in the 90ā€™sā€¦ :sweat_smile:

-Zenek

Ummmm PASS.

Aww, well I hope to hear something about the new cards soon- Iā€™ll totally plunk down $20 worth of booster packs just to have some. Iā€™d even start a thread here on Ultra-Combo to trade away doubles to other forum members for cards Iā€™m missing. Sounds like fun! :purple_heart:

-Zenek

PS. I actually have a 60-card ā€œstarter deckā€ in my collection of silly videogame stuff that has an old 90ā€™s Spinal render on the cardboard box. Man, the KI card game was terrible! :laughing:

By ā€œpassā€ I mean I can ask but idk. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Happy Tuesday, everyone! :smiley:

My hype train is still being powered by last weekā€™s excellent issue of the Killer Instinct comic, and while there doesnā€™t look like anythingā€™s coming out today for the game, Iā€™ve got two fun questions in the meantime:

1 ā€“ Did you find out anything about the upcoming trading cards since last week, @snickerdoodle? :sunglasses:

2 ā€“ Also, when is the new photo competition going to start, @snickerdoodle? I believe that this weekā€™s theme was ā€œAirborne,ā€ right? The last photo mission was a bunch of fun, and Iā€™m looking forward to the new one! :helicopter:

Thanks a bunch, and fight on!

-Zenek

No dice on steam cards. Someone keeps letting rukizzel out of the office.

Photo contest is going up shortly! Forgot that yesterday was a holiday here. :slight_smile: