Arbiter In Killer Instinct tease

To make the most of this cross over we really need:

Arbiter in KI
Fulgore armor in Halo 5
Halo announcer to do guest announcer for KI

7 Likes

Tj combo Johnson costume!!! Or cortana aria costume.

4 Likes

Add in a Fulgore Devastation Beam variant for the Spartan Laser and I don’t think I would need to play any other games this year.

6 Likes

A nice Warzone REQ version of the Spartan Laser with a Fulgore skin and Devastation beam SFX.

3 Likes

They did show it at KIWC too. Crowd went nuts. I think there is a vine or something floating about of it.

I dunno man, maybe you check different sites than I do, but on this site, Joanna Dark seemed like the clear cut top choice among fans from all the threads I saw with Arbiter probably coming in second, but maybe you disagree. I type in “Guest” under the search and most of the threads that come up either mention her in the title or feature her a lot in conversation.

I don’t mean to throw your own words back in your face, but you said this back in August when the whole guest idea first came out:

To be fair, I can’t recall if this was after Rash was announced, or if this was just after it was announced that guests would appear in season 3. But either way, you, along with a LOT of other people seemingly had Joanna Dark right at the top of the list.

I’m trying to look at this as logically as possible as well and I just don’t see “sell more games” as the only motivation MS/IG has here in terms of finding the best fits for guests in this game. I think that Rash is an example of my line of thinking in action.

Battletoads has a loyal, but relatively small cult following, which makes sense since the franchise, which began as a Ninja Turtles clone back in the early 90’s hasn’t seen a sequel since 1994. Yes, it’s on lists and yes there are speed runs, but do either of those make the game iconic?

I’m sorry, but I just don’t see how this franchise is so relevant and so popular as to warrant being such a logical choice if we’re talking about franchises that would bring in the most players for KI and make the most profit. So to me, there has to be other considerations at work.

I think that we just have a difference of opinion here, which is fine. I don’t see Rash being more of a game seller than Joanna Dark, or a character from Gears and even if that were the case, I still don’t think that “moving more units” is the only consideration at play here, nor should it be. I also don’t buy the idea that Rash fills a certain quota for nostalgia any better than Joanna Dark or several other characters might have.

As for Joanna being “another spy in latex” and these other suggestions “not being logical fits” well, you’re entitled to your opinion, but again, we disagree (which again, is still fine). I think that other characters have their followings, they have their backgrounds and their mythos and others can be interesting and if IG’s work on this game thus far is any indication, I really think that they can make a number of characters exciting and/or fun to play as.

Really, you’re not squashing my hopes here. I’m totally okay with the two choices that were made. I just don’t buy how you’re arriving at the conclusion that these were the best options. If it were only selling more units, you go with a Gears character. If you’re talking about nostalgia, Joanna Dark was a much more talked about character on this forum.

Now we’re on the same page! That would be freaking AWESOME!

Yeah I did say that way back, at that time I thought that Joanna would have been neat but my opinion had changed since then. Talked to quite a few friends and they had some good points, though I stuck with my Arbiter dreams the entire time.

Great to hear that. I have to rewatch this then.

Where??? I want see!

1 Like

Yeah absolutely, I know that opinions change and that’s cool, I’m just trying to make the point that many people considered Joanna Dark the top option back then. I mean, she honestly seemed like a forgone conclusion a the time.

I’m sure someone tweeted it, but can’t remember who. I just looked for it on twitter and couldn’t find it. Sorry.

I thought so too for the longest time, I still preferred the Arbiter over her but I wouldn’t have minded seeing her in game. That is until someone brought up the fact that she’s basically just a British Orchid, we already have a character occupying the “sexy spy girl” trope so she really wouldn’t add a heck of a lot to the cast.

The Arbiter is an alien and so is Glacius but in my personal opinion KI is more about interesting looking characters, beasts, monsters, undead, characters who’re non-human are way cooler to me than others. I was disappointed with Kim’s trailer because she just looks like some teen girl with a dragon spirit, when season 2 launched I was bored because TJ and Maya were kind of bland looking too. Adding a duplicate secret agent didn’t sound as good to me once it was pointed out. A huge, heavily armored alien with an energy blade is far more appealing.

I think the Rash debate is relatable to that too, out of all the Rareware characters in existence a giant trash-talking toad fits KI more-so in my opinion than many other options. Sure the toads have a smaller niche following of cult fans but I still feel they’re a larger group than Kameo fans and a group that would be more inclined to play a fighting game than Kameo ones would. Sure the toads are kind of obscure but I feel that the fanbase is just sleeping, when new Battletoads stuff comes out the start crawling out of the woodwork. Guys like my buddy who loved them as a kid and hasn’t played a video game in a couple of years due to family life wants to buy an Xbox One just because of Rash in KI and Rare replay having Battletoads arcade in it. I just don’t see anyone jumping out of their chair and buying a console because a new Kameo game gets announced. Rash might not have been the best choice out of all the series they could borrow from but of the choices fans asked for he’s one of the best fits.

1 Like

One problem: how often do you see chief using anything other than guns?

I think the arbiter is an good choice because he has experience in close combat and with the sword in hand he can add a ton of variety potential to his combat.

3 Likes

congrats btw BRING PLAYABLE ELITS BACK TO HALO. AND SPLIT SCREEN!

I supposed maybe you guys in return could perhaps give us some KI themed armor as a cross promotion? >u>

Moving on, I look forward to playing as the arbiter in KI.

1 Like

How funny would it be if arbiter has an ultimate where you see the other player get shot in the back of the head and chief shows up behind them and goes sorry I’m late.

3 Likes

I dunno, I like a good mix of human and non-human characters for KI. There are so many tropes to explore in both that I’d find interesting. A vampire could be a human or a monster. An old sage, an MMA fighter (which could be done very different from a boxer like TJ), a human or monster demon. I don’t really find one side more compelling, though I do tend to think that the more human characters would likely do the heavier lifting in the story while the monsters, ya know, tend to monster more often then not.

I also don’t think that Joanna Dark being a spy has to infringe too much on Orchid being a resistence fighter. I could see Dark having much more of a tech focus, others have mentioned gun-kata, stuff like that.

I do agree with you though that Arbiter doesn’t have to infringe too much on Glacius’ territory either though. They’re both aliens. That’s more or less where the similarities end.

You think that Rash fits KI more than many other options? Not sure I agree there, but I don’t mind his inclusion. Again though, comparing Battletoads small niche following to Kameo’s near non-existent following isn’t really a selling factor if your’e arguing popularity or selling units as a reason for why he belongs in the game because you’re still talking about a small, niche following when there are options from Gears that are likely on the table.

I don’t see anyone jumping out of their chair to buy an Xbox One for a new Kameo, but do you really think that number goes up significantly because a Battletoad is in KI or because a new Battletoads game is coming out? You may think that fanbase is sleeping, but I tend to doubt that it’d be a real system seller. I could be totally wrong though.

Eh, it’s cool though. You think he’s a great fit based on what you like about KI and I can respect that logic. You’re obviously entitled to your opinion. But when you’re talking about sales or nostalgia or best fit or whatever in general, I just don’t see it the way you do. You seem big on him though, so more power to ya. Glad you got the characters you really wanted! You seem cool from your posts that I’ve seen on the forums, so I’m happy for ya.

If you had asked me five years ago if I thought that a new Killer Instinct would have been a system seller I would have told you no but to my surprise a ton of people proved me wrong. KI’s fanbase was in hibernation and it woke up with a fiery explosion. I have no doubt that a new Battletoads would be a top seller, especially if it was a good reboot.

3 Likes

I hope this means we might get 10 characters for season 3, since the arbiter and rash are more cameo characters much like link, hitachi and spawn were in SC2, would be nice for just some more connect for out money with season 3. hell it would be great if we could get stage alternatives aswell just mix up the game a bit more.

1 Like

Trololololol. :wink:

You crafty ■■■■■■■! Arbiter has been hiding under our noses the entire time!

1 Like