Any news for a KI reboot sequel?

That is very true. That said, it doesn’t mean they should half-a$$ things and just use the excuse “there’s always retro costumes” or that “stories were never really that important”. Ideally speaking, both the retro and the redesign should be of equally impressive quality. Fulgore’s redesign, for example - brilliantly done redesign that is both new but preserves the look of the character. His retro?..Not great, admittedly. It looks waaaaay too much like a plushy.

1 Like

In that sense, it’s quite a disappointing fact isn’t it.

Exactly this. In the line of getting a sequel, I want to see evolution in their existing designs and not a complete redesign. Evolving character designs is always fascinating to see too and it shouldn’t just be restricted to characters that are made like Fulgore for example. I want to see the human and semi-human characters with evolved designs as well. Some simple touches like Kim’s dyed hair growing and turning black at the roots would really take off instead of just giving her a new fit.

1 Like

There’s killer instinct news all over the Internet even mostly it’s just rehashing of the potential bandai involvement rumors as well as the previous info that I posted above.

I agree about spending on to the existing characters in terms of look and feel. I like to use Kim and I really hope she doesn’t get cut or changed in some weird way. I like the style that they went with her actually (I didn’t really at first). I think they could make some improvements on thunder, definitely riptor… his costume stuff never made sense to me.

I actually think eagles costumes and look is pretty impressive and I’m just throwing this out off topic. I have a native friend who started playing the game and he’s kind of a jokester type and he told me that eagle looks exactly like half of his friends down in Sioux falls. But jokes aside he said he was pretty impressed actually in the house he could tell the team tried to have thunder and eagle seem like relatively legitimate native characters. I think that’s actually pretty cool and I’m not trying to be all woke or anything.

For some reason I just know that the new ki is going to feature some ultratech corporate version of Kim wearing a business suit and heels and it’s going to throw me off.

1 Like

Yeah, Riptor was one of the weaker character redesigns.

It’s cool that Microsoft went out of their way to consult with the Nez Perce tribe for the looks of Eagle and Thunder. Story-wise, though…it could be better.

What makes you say that out of curiosity?

2 Likes

Yeah me too. Her first impression on me wasn’t a real good one bc I felt like her design was too generic in some parts, but they did put in some really nice details. I think I just got used to her look later on.

Pretty interesting to hear! Microsoft did walk extra miles to design them. It paid off nicely.

Awh why, I thought anyone can pull off a suit. Well maybe it doesn’t have to be associated with UT in particular, y’know. They could just give everyone suits in general, make em look fly as hell. Maybe part of a side “Hitmen” AU or something.

No reason really. In the most recent killer instinct the one we all enjoy it seemed as though Kim was portrayed as a hip millennial. It’s been a few years and Kim would have aged a bit so I doubt he would be working at a local skate shop.

As I rethink the idea I think it might actually be pretty I’m still learning the story elements so I could be way off obviously.

Ultratech corporate pant suit and heels Kim could be kind of cool.

From a storytelling perspective maybe a twist where she’s become dragon goddess tusk -esk immortal nunchucks spirit?

Now I’m really curious. Is shadow lords the best place to learn a story?

Yeah I take back what I said I actually like the idea now.

I don’t know… My friend Mike looks like a cartel King whenever he wears a suit. It might be as ridiculous mustache

Well, in the 2013 game, she was a college student studying to be a fashion designer.

Considering her own family harbors a major grudge against Ultratech, I doubt she would want to work for Ultratech. In terms of her wearing corporate attire, I’m not quite sure why. I suppose she would if she wanted to embrace the whole corporate side of fashion design, but I don’t know. Tbh, Kim Wu was never one of my favorite characters, especially in 2/Gold; I always found her pretty generic as far as fighters were concerned.

I’d rather not, tbh, just because we already have an immortal in the form of Tusk, plus this has the potential of veering into straight-up bad Mary Sue fanfiction territory. That, plus it wouldn’t exactly feel earned imo.

In terms of story, kinda, but not really, just because it is very half-baked, with some parts really good while others are contradictory or downright awful. SL is an interesting idea for a mode, especially for a story mode, but it is one predicated on having way, WAY more cutscenes, characters and voice acting. I honestly think IG bit off way more than they could chew with this one.
The game manuals and comics also shed some light on things, although the more recent comics are very dubious in quality. Great art with one or two really cool ideas/moments, but man what a disappointment. In some ways, I can’t help feeling the old Acclaim comics from the 90s were better.
If you’re interested, I’ve actually attempted to combine elements from KI1 and KI2013 in order to make a somewhat more cohesive and coherent story:

It’s not perfect by any means, but it is an honest attempt at reconciling the classic KIs of old with the 2013 version.

1 Like

Oh that’s cool yeah I’ll check it out rn

So these are your own creation based off of the killer instinct story fragments? It looks like you have a good amount of content there I’m going to browse around likely support your work. Very cool!!

1 Like

Yep. I used a lot of stuff from the game’s stories and features and tried to put it all together in a way that attempted to justify some of the things that happens, if not have it so that everything comes together in such a way that it would all fit and make sense. There are a number of references to the games, some subtle, some not so. A lot of research and effort was put into this, just because I want to show not only is it possible to tell a coherent story based on what is available, but also because I really want more KI fans to create KI stories of their own; it is a really cool series with enormous potential in terms of narrative, and the more KI stories, the better imo.

I hope you like what’s there. :slight_smile: If not, well, thanks for at least taking the time to have a look. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Evolution Wild tangent warning but…onthe subject of storyline, I’m going to throw an oddball your way and I’m curious if you’re familiar with it.

At this point in time it’s very dated but I think it had think it had a great storyline for a fighter ( could be some nostalgia influence here )but have you ever heard of or played the game eternal champions for Sega Genesis?

ET had a very tragic storyline that was told in the mode and medium of its time which was character bios and an intro scrolling story before the title screen…and perhaps it was the music score that played while the character bios were being represented (-fun fact Bone Thugs-N-Harmony actually sampled the main Melody on one of the tracks ) but still to this day I can remember the feeling that I had when playing the game. The only other games that have come close to that for me are killer instinct which I ended up wanting and eventually purchasing for super Nintendo simply because it reminded me of eternal champions…

To this day I still think he turn on champions is the most underrated fighter of all time. Anyhow I felt like getting that out because I was going over your content on your site and it reminds me of the good old days. :relaxed:

Ps when two undead hearts collide… I love it

1 Like

Oh hell yes! :smiley: THAT was a really cool game. Granted, some of the character designs were a little off imo, but Larcen and Shadow were really cool characters and the story for it was really interesting. I like the idea of these fighters from different time periods having to fight in order to have a second lease at life - that’s an idea I would love to see expanded/explored. I would especially LOVE to see that game revisited, be it a sequel, reboot, remake or spiritual successor. Out of curiosity, have you heard of a fighting game called “Pray For Death”? In some ways it’s similar in story, but it’s notable for being the only fighting game with Cthulhu. It’s a kind of KI clone, albeit a weaker one. Still, I think with the right treatment it could potentially work.

LOL Glad to hear! :smiley: I kind of thought it’d be funny pairing these two together. XD

As someone who’s read Evolution’s works, I can assure you stories of top tier quality. I highly recommend them.

Not really. Reading up stuff on the website, the character bios and the SL prelude novellas and KI’s fandom wiki page is more efficient. The only content post SL are the 2017 comics by Dynamite. As for the Shadow Lords game mode all you have are the cut scenes and stuff called Dossiers that you have to unlock for lore content.

cool thanks for that. I was playing around a little bit it’s shadowlord’s today it’s actually kind of fun. That’s not so bad feel like it might give me bad habits but those cards that are actually kind of fun to use or Pax whatever they call them Guardians

Ki is buzzing