Any announcement for the patch 3.8?

I haven’t played against a decent KanRa since they nerfed him. Maybe only like 2 good players since late last year. all he has left are his grabs and a few situational set ups. if IGs goal is to balance fun/nerfs I think they went a little to far. he needs a new move or mechanic.

there’s more to worry about than Cr Mk.

2 Likes

A patch for a single attack? You know how expensive is releasing a patch? You know that it will be fixed in the next patch?

C.hk not working is unfortunate, but it’s not the end of the world. Just work around it for a while

1 Like

I thought it was Cr med kick that was busted?

My character already loses alot of matches, that button not working is the end of the world because most of my setups and damage revolve around being able to special cancel that button.

That button is needed and it has other qualities, like making visibility for the next move harder to see. Kan ra has nothing but gimmicks, hes unsafe for just blowin a ■■■■.

I think my “complaining” is justified. We’re talking months here of adaptation and no fix or even a word about a fix.

Can you really blame me or say I’m in the wrong? Imagine getting left on the curb and your ride says “hey I’ll come back im a while”.
You will wait the while but when the hours and days pass that the ride never shows up, you will eventually walk away and assume it"s never coming.

Agreed. I honestly don’t understand why it should take a long time to fix a character breaking bug. You shouldn’t need a full patch for this. I’d be hot if Sadira suddenly couldn’t double jump, so yeah, it’s an issue that needs to be addressed.

In truth, you wait shouldn’t be that long though, as I think it will drop when the last character drops in June.

1 Like

But why would think it was never coming? You knew day 1 it was a bug, bugs get fixed in patches, the next patch wouldn’t drop until the next character, the next character is aiming for June. It was obvious you were going to be waiting a while from the beginning, they’ve never dropped a whole patch for one character.

Actually they did drop minor patches to fix game breaking issues like Spinal/ Kan Ra bugs that caused the game to crash.

Honestly, as this isn’t a balance issue, but an actually character crippling bug, I would have thought that they would have released a minor patch to correct this.

1 Like

They didn’t release a patch for months when Fulgore’s reworked instinct was doing the old ability and the new one both at once. If you ask me these broken mechanics are unacceptable and well worth a hotfix for the health of the game, but apparently MS doesn’t agree.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that their track record with patches is abysmal, the patches usually end up coming loaded with more added bugs.

I get the whole budget and understaffed thing, but there has to be a deeper problem at it’s root. Could it be a lack of QA? How do they internally test stuff?

Perhaps we should start by examining the very basic constant in the equation. That being the code itself which composes the patch. Is the code prone to inexplicable behavior? Can the code be corrupted by the number of times it’s downloaded? For the answer we need a subject matter expert. Is there anyone on the forum who has computer programming and data analytics expertise?

Thats a very good analysis. I don’t have any programming or coding knowledge so I ask the very basic questions. Things go wrong all the time I get it, but there has to be something causing it consistently. Good topic, glad it didn’t go south.

1 Like

I have no computer knowledge either except for binary and bullian algebra being just a series of yes or no (on or off) questions that the computer can answer. I have heard that code can be as finicky as the human body itself. 9.999 times out of 10 there is an underlying cause. Some are common like operator error, and others are more peculiar like the well known copy pasta these are stories that are copied and pasted a billion times but each time something small changes for some unknown reason untill it becomes something completely different. So some of these bugs are inescapable deviations of a patch designed to be perfect on release. Now there are other factors to consider like the operator error, equipment malfunction (damaged server sending out broken code sequences) outside interference (downed power lines or transmitting problems leaving MS or IG), hardware problems on the user side (patch compatibility with windows 10, or missing a necessary system update in your XB1). Much like the human body, there is so much that can go wrong, to diagnose would take the processing power of the Pentagon. It is probably prudent to expect the discovery of bugs upon initial release of a patch, it’s the diagnosing and treating that takes the most time and effort afterwards.

2 Likes

Very simplified explanation (VERY SIMPLIFIED):

Basically, bugs can erupt from a multitude of things that generally boil down to “incorrect coding” usually by coder error. Coding is like orchestrating thousands of people to work together without banging heads, or causing accidents, while making clones of those people with slightly different functions.

• This guy loosens A in B section, while another guy tightens X in B section, while another guy loosens X in Y section… and so on.

Generally, when you want to add something that’s similar to something else, you would copy > paste and rework to fit the needs. However, if something is wrong or out of place with the original piece, you’ve doubled your bugs. Doing this multiple times during development of a game could easily, exponentially increase the number of bugs. This is why when a bug is fixed for one character, characters who used a similar segment of code generally get the same fix.

3 Likes

Ok that makes sense. And what about bugs that have strange circumstance in appearance?

1 Like

Could you specify that a bit more?

Like when jagos Med Kick doesn’t work on wake up, or when quick stand fails to trigger. That kinda thing.

Software does not get more unstable the more it’s downloaded or anything like that.

The reality is that making software stable is virtually impossible, and it’s just a matter of time until stuff breaks. If the software is trying unique ideas which are less tested than would be ideal (because, say, the team has less budget but still wants to try a cool idea), then bugs are more prone. I imagine this is where KI lies.

The other thing to consider is just how much work goes into making a patch. I’m sure there are bugs the team knows about, and knows how to fix, but is unable to get to us in a timely manner for many, many reasons (such as patch processes taking 6-8 weeks, aspects of a program needing to be approved by 5 supervisors before it can be submitted but your supervisors only have 2 hours a week to approve things, just to throw out some possibilities).

So not only are bugs easy to have happen, but fixing them, even if you know the cause and the solution, is also really difficult. There are times I wish KI was PC only, because the process for fixing bugs on PC platforms like Steam are much less involved than submitting patches for MS and Sony consoles. I’m sure KI would be a much more stable game in this case.

Software development is downright brutal. It’s amazing stuff works at all, really.

(I have a masters in computer science and am a programmer)

“Lack of QA” and “understaffed and underfunded” are pretty much the same thing, though.

3 Likes

I’m not completely sure on this one. Without knowing how their code is structured, it’s hard to give an accurate explanation. And since I don’t have any sort of degree or longer experience than basic High School HTML and minor C++ experience, I’m not sure I should answer in fear of getting the explanation completely wrong.

So, I’ll let @Infilament take this one, if he wants.

To expand on Infil’s statement here though…

It’s because they are understaffed and underfunded that there is a deficit in QA. When you are in a tight budget with limited resources, you have to allocate time accordingly to get absolutely anything done.

Basically, being understaffed and underfunded is the problem. Small company, with only as much funds as someone else says they can give means finding creative ways to make things work. This means, you end up with (how the League of Legends community likes to put it) spaghetti code.

1 Like

Thanks for dumbing it down for me. Seriously speaking the clone analogy makes perfect sense.

Spaghetti code lol