Aganos vs. Fulgore in a nutshell

Do you know how slow he gets meter if pressured? Very slowly. Without it,his only option to remove junks is his Heavy DP. Just knock him down and into the corner and lock him down. Put a wall behind you. Now just pressure him like crazy. He can’t do wake up DP if have chunks or he will be hit out of it. You need the head start in order to make it in Aganos favor. With meter on the other hand,it is a whole different story. DO NOT USE CHUNKS FOR ARMOR!!! It will not work. Use it for walls and peacemaker and projectiles.

Okay some good advice I’ve picked up from these posts:

• SC Fulgore’s spinning elbows
  • SC jump-in landing multiple LP/LK
  • HP blocked air lasers upon landing
  • Put wall behind Aganos to prevent crossup teleport mixups

The 1st and last are my favorites. I’ve seen numerous Fulgores use the spinning elbow, so that’ll come in handy. The back wall is something I never really use as Aganos generally does poorly when cornered (sans chunks), but I can see how that’ll limit Fulgore’s options (as well as other teleport-capable characters).

As for the speed of the attacks, I think it’s really just the rhythm of the players themselves - some smash buttons as quickly as possible to get me to panic while others are more paced and methodical in how they attack. I think that’s what trips me up…

Those won’t work against me:) I don’t use spinning elbow often. I use the overhead/jabs for highs and low kicks for low pressure. When I do ise the elbow,it will be a surprise moment walls might work to help with the crossup aspect but you still have the mix-up part. Wait people use air lasers? That thing is the most unsafe thing after dps,omen super,and annihilation. Bully his wake up and you are good. Those tips also work depending on your opponent…[quote=“GalacticGeek, post:22, topic:2277, full:true”]
Okay some good advice I’ve picked up from these posts:

• SC Fulgore’s spinning elbows
  • SC jump-in landing multiple LP/LK
  • HP blocked air lasers upon landing
  • Put wall behind Aganos to prevent crossup teleport mixups

The 1st and last are my favorites. I’ve seen numerous Fulgores use the spinning elbow, so that’ll come in handy. The back wall is something I never really use as Aganos generally does poorly when cornered (sans chunks), but I can see how that’ll limit Fulgore’s options (as well as other teleport-capable characters).

As for the speed of the attacks, I think it’s really just the rhythm of the players themselves - some smash buttons as quickly as possible to get me to panic while others are more paced and methodical in how they attack. I think that’s what trips me up…
[/quote]

Good stuff everyone!

@LeoFerreis Fulgore’s + frame pressure doesn’t build him positive reactor spin, so in the long run he is giving you more meter than he is gaining himself if you’re able to block it. That is the case for any match a Fulgore is in for his opponent. His neutral frame pressure which allows him to block but not follow up unless with a pip canceled dp, does allow him to gain some spin speed, but is punishable if the throw or dp setup misses. Or he has to choose to block instead. His pressure and setups are good, but if he is using setups, he isn’t gaining a lot of meter which means your combo’s will be able to punish that much more, and also gives you access to shadow moves to beat the dp or any zoning he is doing. Just having a 3 hit dp isn’t going to swing the match that drastically, yeah it’s a move you have to be more sensitive to, but there are generally only a few times where it will take chunks, which is if it lands after blade dash pressure, or on wakeup. That’s it. If it lands anywhere else, I would question why the player is Yolo dping. Shadow countering Fulgore you don’t counter specials if he has meter, try to catch one of the normals instead. A lot of players try and choose to block Fulgore’s teleport setups, sometimes it’s easier to jump, and take a small hit rather than an ambiguous setup where you’re in block stun, left right, into a high low. He doesn’t get a combo, yeah you’re in a position to be pressured on wakeup, but you didn’t eat a combo of damage, and he didn’t get an ender for spacing into another setup. There is a lot to make out in any matchup and Fulgore’s DP, good as it is, is more or less to take place of his lack of shadow counters since his meter is required elsewhere for him to more or less function and have a good pressure game. The little I’ve played Aganos, I used his lights for meaties on wakeup, even if they dp and you have a couple chunks, it generally only takes 1 or 2 and then you can block, which still puts them in dp recovery giving you a free short combo into chunk ender again. Being zoned as Aganos kinda sucks but, if a Fulgore not a Jago is zoning you, he is spending his spin speed and giving you meter if you’re blocking it. More than he can hope to gain. Having shadow on Aganos gives you so many options to move around him and get some advantages in place for you. I generally pick other characters for Aganos than Fulgore because a good Aganos, even with Fulgore’s setups is just hard to get in on, on top of Fulgore having lower damage just drags the match out too long. I prefer playing Glacius or Thunder than Fulgore, I feel they have easier times with him.

Out of curiosity, who do you think wins the Aganos-Fulgore matchup, and why do you think he wins it? Why would you prefer say, Thunder over Fulgore against Aganos?

I think Aganos is a hard counter pick for thunder. Thunder struggles vs Aganos whereas fulgore dominates.

1 Like

If the Aganos plays smart and uses his tools and footsies to control the Fulgore, it goes in Aganos’ favor. If the Fulgore can land the mixup pressure, forgo combo’s into dp setups to eat away chunks then go into pressure, the Fulgore wins. Aganos can sit and take Fulgore’s zoning and get meter which will ultimately give him the tools he needs to avoid or get by Fulgore shenanigans. So in order to get the meter needed to function to get the pressure to eat away chunks, Fulgore has to be aggressive against someone who can out footsie him relatively easy if played properly or, wait for instinct. I like Glacius because with well timed Hail and Shatter I can eat away chunks for free and be safe doing so. Thunder has a lot of meaty throw setups and has a couple of normals that trade well with Aganos that I’ve done well with. Also I don’t think it’s a match Aganos wants to wall both sides on and Thunder’s instinct is really good against Aganos for me. The main reason why I think Fulgore has issues with Aganos is mainly something I don’t see very often but Aganos and Glacius are the only 2 characters who can deal with a proper Fulgore setup meter free without having to just block. Glacius puddle gives you time to react to where he teleports to and avoid a portion of the 50/50. Aganos with chunks available can wait for the animation of the teleport to start, then wind up pulverize. Even if they teleport and start off with the DP, it will only hit 1 chunk then be stuffed by the hitbox. Either that or you can start up a natural disaster and if you have 1 chunk, punish any non teleport behind. The only move Fulgore can play footsies with Aganos with is his eye laser medium or heavy. Everything else Aganos can out range him with. The other thing would be to jump during the projectile setups, then you’re safe from the dp taking chunks, and if the projectile hit you, the DP is breakable. Granted it could be breaker bait but you’re still chunked up. The main issue I’ve ever noticed is people give Fulgore time to get meter and become scary. If you get up close and keep some pressure on him, he won’t get nearly as much as you. If he burns it on a shadow counter, or a shadow DP, there is good potential it was wasted if his spin speed isn’t high enough. Or if the reversal attempt fails it’s even worse. The 1 position Fulgore doesn’t want to be in is defensive. He wants to be in the Zoning or Offensive position. He is the only character who gets nothing from blocking or throw techs. The main way Fulgore wins is by making you sit where he wants you. Far away, and in block stun for a setup, or close range and blocking frame traps. The moment he has no gas, or right at the start of the match, he is basically free to any and all pressure if you can out footsie him and start pressure. He can control a lot of space, but if he is doing that to you, he is giving you meter. He can only zone you so long before it starts to put him in a very bad low meter low spin spot vs an opponent with a stock or 2. Specially those who with or without meter can start closing distance around projectiles.