Aganos Players: An appeal for help with the Killer Instinct Community Guide

I knew it moved you forward, but to be honest I had forgotten about that. Furthermore, you’re right; it is strictly better and not just for that reason - it does lower the hitbox, making it harder for them to hit you on jump ins (and subsequently easier for you to hit them). Even as a seasoned Aganos player, I never really thought about this. Thanks for the insight! :slight_smile:

Have a question on this…when you are in a middle of a combo with the peace keeper, hitting LK & LP together will make Aganos throw the peace keeper??

Also something to add was that with peace keeper that fwd and throw makes it a command grab that can’t be tech throw’d out of.

Also some advice from you better Aganos players because I am still learning him…how do you deal with really high pressure when cornered and have no chunks. I have not found a really good wake up for Aganos and and shadow move I try on wake up gets me thrown. And is there anything that you can do against players that just keep jump attacking you once they get it…I try to throw, but end up taking damage, then down HP doesn’t work either because they are already too close to get hit.

That was a typo that I thought I had fixed (editor’s note: it is now fixed in the post above). What I meant to say was QCF+P; pressing LP+LK does the command grab with the peacekeeper that throws the opponent, not the club.

As for getting cornered, your options are more limited when compared to other characters, but there are still a few. A lot of it, however, is heavily dependent on reading your opponent. What I like to do is block low and weather the storm. While I do this, I anticipate 1 of 3 things: a grounded overhead attack, a jump-in attack, or a throw. While blocking, I’m ready for all 3. If they get too close, I attempt a throw to tech them and put us back into neutral, where Aganos can use his reach to his advantage. If they attempt the grounded overhead attack, I simply switch to a high block (most grounded overheads are slow enough to react to if you’re already anticipating it). If they jump, you actually have 2 options - if they’re jumping in from far away, you can press B+LP, or D+HP cancelled into LP ruin (for some much needed space and even potential wall-crashes); if they’re jumping in from close-range, then I highly recommend doing natural disaster or shadow natural disaster, if you have meter. The latter in my experience is often the better option (and best option overall), since a lot of people like to jump in/neutral jump while you’re in the corner. It is a virtually automatica anti-air, can be delayed to ensure that a hit occurs, and can be released with the right timing to recapture and carry your opponent half-way across the screen into a full combo punish. Alternatively, if they don’t jump, you can watch for shadow-counterable pressure strings such as Jago’s F+HK, Thunder’s F+HP, Orchid or Hisako’s rekkas, Jago’s QCB+P, Fulgore’s F+HP, and numerous others that can all also get you an easy out and punish as long as you block the 1st hit of each character’s moves. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you so much…I know it will still probably take me some time to be able to implement this tech, but at least I know some outs…

If you have no Chunks Aganos’s Lk is actually a 4 frame normal. You can beat ANY overhead in the game by reacting to it by tapping the X button. This works best if the Opponent is literally all up on you, giving you no Room to breath aka Pressure.

If you can’t time your Anti-Air flicks or your D.Hp then you can clobber copter I mean Pulverize. Pulverize is actually a very good way to escape high cross ups. Deep meaty cross up’s must be blocked, however when the opponent is desperately jumping over your head back and forth Pulverize will knock them out of the air even if they are behind you already. If you can read a grab Shadow Pulverize, though Pulverize/Shadow Pulverize works well as a Trip-Guard too. Also You can combo any strength Ruin from a D.Hp for alittle extra damage. D.Hp > Fierce Ruin is about 13% damage without a Wall.

GalacticGeek is right on about the Natural Disasters, and don’t forget if you can’t time or have yet to understand the timing of the Natural Disaster, you can always use it and jump with the Opponent because ND has such good priority that you will almost always knock them out of the air. Not only that but if you seriously feeling pressured from the sky, what the opponent’s jump arc then Fierce ND across the screen, completely out of their pressure and range. Shadow Natural Disaster is almost a Win Button in situations like that and GG covered it. What I just said is referring to the normal ND.

P.S. ND, Pulverize both can Hit in Back of you.

If you’re still referring to the LK in the second half your 1st paragraph, it’s actually the A button, not the X button (assuming you’re using default controls, of course). You also have to be careful, because as fast as it is, it may not beat throws which, knowing that’s a weakness of the golem, your opponents will more likely try to exploit that instead.

Pulverize is a decent anti-air, but not necessarily a good 1. I find a lot of the time, an opponent, with the correct timing and spacing can actually still hit me out of it, and even if you succeed with htting your opponent, it doesn’t do much for you either, since it largely puts them right next to you with a soft knockdown. That being said, shadow pulverize does a decent amount of damage for a single move and is more likely to hit than a normal pulverize, so it is still an option, sure - just not the best 1 IMO.

Otherwise, @DraconianMith has sound advice on a few things I had not covered. I would also like to add though that another reason shadow natural disaster is good is because even on block, assuming there’s no walls behind your opponent when you end it, it actually carries the opponent a good half-screen distance away from you when it ends, again giving you some much needed neutral space (but watch out for those shadow counters - be ready to counter-break those if you start seeing “yellow flashes” from your opponent; you’ll want to counter-break before the 3rd flash), where Aganos works best.

@GalacticGeek Hey I never said it was the Best 1 but it does do the trick sometimes. Plus soft knockdown or not, Aganos without chunks is still in advantage thanks to those hideously great buttons he has. Plus you already covered the best one in Natural Disaster. The only thing is Pulverize Will always hit an opponent jumping behind you whose name isn’t Sabrewulf or Hisako.

Yea thanks for that A button correction though, I don’t know why I said X. Too much PS3 lately.

Sounds like an odd question, but yellow flashes? What are you on about :smiley:

Whenever someone tries to combo-break a shadow move, every time they get 1 of their 3 “hits” the character flashes yellow for a brief instant to visually let the opponent know they’re trying to break - it also helps with timing for when to counter-break against it.

Ah, you’re referring to sometimes what me and @Jukesy1992 and @Blindgamer102 call “number breaking” or “the numbers game”. We have to listen to the numbers and go on that. An alternative strategy for breaking those is, somewhat unintuatively, not break them and wait for the next part of the combo. By then, any shadow meter they’ve used is certainly lost and if they do a heavy, you can mostly see it and the only thing they could do is counterbreak that if you’re unlucky.

Just to be clear, “shadow counter” is something else (launching a shadow move while blocking). What you’re describing is just combo breaking a shadow linker. The right terminology helps avoid confusion.

Shadow ND (as a linker in a combo) is pretty good though, yeah. Does high damage and has lots of corner push. It’s also faster than shadow pulverize, so it’s always better in lockout situations too. In fact I don’t think you want to ever use shadow pulverize as a linker. Maybe some super situational thing where you don’t want to push someone closer to a wall, because you don’t want to destroy your wall with a chunk ender, but that’s probably about it.

super good stuff…thanks to all of you…I think that I’ll start trying to use ND in the nuetral as well to deal with constant Jump attacks in the middle of the screen. Finally learned how to block it when jago and shago were just doing it over and over, but like I said before, I had no idea how to deal with it because Aganos’ dash is not helpful in that situation and any time I used D. HP, I got punished.(guessing because they were too close to be in the hitbox range.

I’m guessing you weren’t referring to my post there @Infilament, since I didn’t even mention Shadow Counters. The best terminology I can come up for trying to break a shadow linker that doesn’t confuse people is shadowbreaking, which does what it says on the tin.

I like how you coined that term - shadow-breaker - the devs and community should adopt and use that, I think. :slight_smile:

Scenario: Mid combo, Aganos uses Shadow ND and Fulgore breaks it - announcer screams “1… 2… 3…” Shadow Breaker!

That would be a new line to spice up the hype a bit more…

1 Like

…and I absolutely agree 100%. Maybe you should make another topic about this in the suggestions forum, along with a poll asking if this is something that other players would like to see to distinguish this mechanic from everything else. :wink:

Correct, was referring to Geek’s post.

Also, a lot of people colloquially use the term “shadow break” for the shadow linkers thing. Having it as a line shouted by the announcer in-game is an interesting idea, but I think it would be confusing to new players, since it is really no different than a combo breaker in terms of game state. IMO the “1, 2, 3!” thing adds the necessary excitement to distinguish shadow breaks from regular breaks.

I actually disagree with you on this point. It IS different than a regular combo-breaker because even though you perform it in a similar fashion to combo-breakers, it’s any 2 buttons and has to be done 3 out of the 5x (rather than once and with 2 specific buttons). That inherently makes it a nearly completely different mechanic. I think the way it is now is actually more confusing to new players, because a lot of them don’t even know how to do it (timing and input issues mostly) effectively, if at all, much less even know that the mechanic itself exists. Giving it an actual name and separating it from regular combo-breakers helps give it more meaning and definition, IMO.

1 Like

Just wanted to alert you to the fact that there is now no information on the LP=LK command with Peacekeeper (Which I have also heard is called Peacemaker (see The Killer Instinct Aganos page on the Wiki.)).

Also, they refer to a move called Dominate on that page, I don’t even recall hearing of that - could you clarify what that is?

It’s peacekeeper as far as I know, and I don’t recall a move by that name that you’re referring to. I’ll look into both - give me a sec. :wink:

EDIT: Apparently, I’m wrong on both accounts. It’s “peacemaker” according to the command list, and the move “domination” is his throw with the massive club that puts the opponent through the wall.

1 Like