Adding Killer Instinct PC to Steam

Ok point taken I will just continue to enjoy season 3 and hope PC player’s enjoy what me and you have enjoyed since 2013/14.

I’d love to see the source code, if you’d be okay with that. It might be fun to rewrite it into Java, as that’s the language I’ve been learning in my college courses. :grin:

1 Like

Just uploaded. Don’t laugh please :smiley:
Code is probably a mess even if there is a single source file lol :stuck_out_tongue:

You will have to get DirectXTK libraries etc for it to compile, or you can remove gamepad stuff from code.

i mean it’s not like this would effect you there a all ways going to be cheats on any systems the only thing this does is let you luach it on steam i don’t see the problem

This is a really good start but steam overlay doesn’t really work with it. In big picture mode if you hit the steam button you can hear it go into steam and you can here it navigating but nothing works after that. You can’t even go back to KI after that. I was hoping to get the steam controller to work with this game this way but the game still just defaults to mouse and keyboard unfortunately. Even with the steam controller set to just gamepad. Hopefully there’s something someone can do soon

Thank you very much, dood!

Overlays won’t work until Microsoft allows them to work with UWA’s unfortunately :frowning:
For this BP issue you mentioned there is a simple workaround i added to my tool. Just add “bp” parameter as it mentioned in README file or in my post on gaf. After that you should be able to Alt+Tab from game using gamepad if you accidentally( or just want to check messages in BP or something ) pressed Guide button on controller. When you done you should be able to switch focus back to game by the same combination on controller( hold for a second Back+Start+LeftTrigger until it beeps ). This should work with all XInput controllers that have these buttons. I personally tried it with x1 and x360 controller.

I thought steam controller has an option to emulate XInput gamepad? I assume if thats the case you should be able to use this workaround with corresponding buttons. It’s probably won’t be too hard to add some keyboard key shortcut which you can assign to some steam controller button/action which can be used as Alt+Tab, not sure though. Do not have Steam controller unfortunately to test all this stuff myself.

The steam controller can only emulate xinput if the overlay is working properly. Doesn’t seem like I can get it to work like it was intended for now. It’s ok I have a ds4 I can use but I still like playing everything I have on steam. Mostly because I set up steam to be my shell instead of windows explorer. And I’ve tried to run KI without explorer running through steam bpm and it just gives an error. I’m sure someone will figure it out eventually. I’m currently waiting for the cross platform purchase to start working. I bought the combo pack back when the game was first out on the x1. I don’t have the x1 anymore though I switched exclusively to pc.

Try this new version. Added explorer launcher and some other fixes.

Link: http://bitly.com/StoreAppLauncher_Beta2

Source code: https://github.com/dmix90/StoreAppLauncher

NEW:

1. If you used previous version of a launcher and have a lot of copies already you can try to use Update function. Just copy new version to a directory where you keep other launchers and open it without any parameters through explorer. It will ask if you want to update current directory executable files.
    IT WILL TRY TO OVERWRITE ANY .exe FILES IT HAS BEEN ABLE TO FIND IN CURRENT DIRECTORY, SO BE CAREFUL!
    There should be a list of files in console window.
  2. Now launcher will try to open explorer.exe if there is currently no such process running and close it after you quit game. Should be useful if you using Steam as startup shell for windows because UWA’s wont launch if there is no explorer shell running -_-
  3. Added launch parameter “bp1”. Now you can use Guide button on your controller for switching back to Steam Big Picture interface.
  4. Alt+F4 functionality by pressing Guide + Back if you using new “bp1” parameter or Back+Start+LeftTrigger+RightTrigger if you using old “bp” parameter.
  5. Executable size is greatly reduced. I used uncompressed icon in previous version. Sorry -_-
  6. Now launcher runs in two threads( one for checking game/app status other for checking controller input ).Game checking thread is updated every ~1.5 seconds while controller thread is updated every ~150ms. There might be problems with that but i don’t think i noticed any. If there is no “bp” or “bp1” parameter present app will run in single thread mode like it was in previous version. Pretty sure CPU usage remained the same compared to previous version ( ~0.01% or something like that on 6700k at 4.5ghz )
  7. Now you should not be able to open launcher if it is already running -_-

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Thanks for that well thought out response!

In case you’re missing my point, (which I’m guessing you are) I am not against visual modifications, especially given that I would never see them from my end; I’m opposed to those who would find ways to modify non-cosmetic files to try and gain some sort of advantage.

I thought I was already being clear, but maybe not.

Excellent, working fine for me, THANKS BRO!!!

Necro link doesn’t work

hi guys, just going to leave this here, worked like a charm for me

it is called UWPHook, do a scan, Killer Instinct appears on the list, go ahead and check box this and click export to steam

Restart steam and should be there.

Just as a side note, the UWPHook directory must remain in the same spot that you ran it or it will fail to launch, hope this helps!

1 Like

Does this mean foos will be able to mod now?

nope files are still locked off

Go to Killer Instinct* , right click it, and make a shortcut on your desktop. Now in steam , add a non-steam game, and just randomly choose any
What is this? For those curious, Killer Instinct on Steam will feature cross-play between the previous clicker counter PC port and Xbox One players, it just won’t carry over any purchases. If you already own the game on Windows 10, then you’ll have to rebuy it to get it on Steam.Instinct is represented as a yellow bar under your health bar, and it fills up as you take damage and perform combo breakers. When it’s full, your character portrait will glow red, and you can activate instinct by