A "Ken" & "Akuma/Gouki"?

Eh…I tend to think of a “shoto” not just as a collection of fireball, DP, and forward traveling special (tatsu), but also as a general playstyle or gameplan.

I’m pretty comfortable calling Jago and Fulgore shotos, but Maya’s overall gameplan is considerably different than a standard shoto. She doesn’t use her fireball in spacing at all (great way to lose one), she can actually lose her fireball, and her gameplan largely revolves charging herself up (via her fireball). Add in the lack of invincibility on her DP, crazy movement options, and aerial command grab, and you’ve got a character who plays absolutely nothing like a Ken or Ryu.

Heck, even Fulgore skirts the line, as it can be strongly argued that his game revolves primarily around vortexes and teleport shenanigans. Spinal shouldn’t even be in the discussion to my mind, nor should Omen, whose fireballs are random (!), and who is built far more on shenanigans and resets. KI has actually done a really good job of staying away from the shoto archetype I think.

1 Like

KEN/ akuma
Maya /MIRA

GARGOS would be more of an Akuma to Jago, The Tiger spirit his Gouken, he trained and follow the tiger spirit, which eventually turned out to be Gargos, who influenced him with evil, and created his evil ryu aka shago… its still not mirrored but technically that’s the same relationship

Am i alone in thinking Jago deserves some type of ‘gi’ or training monk skin?

Wheres the cloth and monk stick (see avatar last airbender)

he couldnt have all of a sudden had high fashion masks and target hair gel

Are you serious? I say he’s the most dedicated monk ever, did you know he has to wake up everyday at 4:00 in the morning to scale down the Himalayas find some hair gel and climb all the way back up to get that perfect cow lick. Not only that he has to show off that tattoo of his somehow so he can’t wear those regular monk robes also nothing says mysterious like a mask, he’s the talk of the temple.

1 Like