10 Lessons Learned - My Inaugural KI Journey

Simply put: It’s not. It just gives you some idea how the characters work with a tiny bit of consequences to make you think a bit as you learn your character.

So yeah fighting A.I on lower difficulties helps you learn but makes you understand consequences with those moves.

I’m I guess everyone should just then stick to fighting the highest difficulty AI then. I mean, is it wrong for a new player to test him/herself with medium level AI opponents first before going into harder difficulties? Or is every single member of the community so good at the game that they can fight Kyle level AI opponents with their eyes blindfolded?

that is also not true, because the highest difficulty AI is also broken in a way. The point being put across here, is that you can’t get good in a competitive sense by playing the AI, that will only come from playing against other people.

Well it sure seems like that’s the case at this point.

And find themselves discouraged from fighting against people in a community full of very skilled players? I’m sorry, but a lot of arguments against this are very one sided. And also, training mode allows you to adjust the difficulty of an enemy AI, so I don’t see that as non-helpful at all for players who would like to learn the ins and outs of the game before they partake in online matches.

I think fighting the game’s mid-level AI is actually pretty useful for someone who is just completely new to the game. I learned the game’s systems and flow by running survival in the MS stores before the game’s release, and found the experience to be helpful overall.

From what I understand Shadows mode might be a better way to do this, but there is definitely value in fighting the computer in terms of getting a general “feel” for how KI is played. When is a good time to counter break, trying to breaking variable combos, etc.

The higher level difficulties of the AI are what I think are completely useless to test oneself against. They are wildly unrepresentative of natural play and teach bad habits, all under the guise of the player saying “I can beat Kyle, so I’m definitely good.” I can’t beat Kyle difficulty, but I’d comfortably put money on myself to beat someone who’s only experience with the game has been mopping up a Kyle-level Hisako.

But overall, I do think there can be value in playing against the computer to learn. I think there’s more value in learning against similarly skilled human opponents, but it’s certainly not entirely without merit.

1 Like

Based on my own experience, ‘beginner’ ai is useful for learning new characters, so you can start to form some type of basic game plan on offense. Hard ai is useful main for working in shadow counters and counter breakers into your game if you’re not used to it. So for beginner players, it surely has a place.

As for learning how to do these rampant quarter circles on the left and right side, I’d say the biggest help I found was to turn on ‘input display’. That way when you miss a move, the game is telling you immediately how you missed the move. You either went from down to forward too fast, and missed the diagonal, or you got stuck on the diagonal and didn’t go all the way down or sideways. The game tells you straight up what the case was.

Another thing I had to learn with juggles and wall splats is that I had to wait a split second for my character to fully go back to their standing animation, I couldn’t buffer or cancel the juggling special move as freely as i could in a combo. took a long time to figure that out

2 Likes

Fighting beginner AI is practice for your own execution. You can practice your combos, juggles etc. But the original point was that it is useless for learning how to fight a real person. Which is true.