Why was sabrewulf nerfed way more than other characters?

Of course you can CB, but the best way to condition someone to be counter broken is to force them to guess break. You better do this through short combos with manuals that are not breakable on reaction, than you do with readable links.

Exactly because his primary gain is flipout, short 1 chance or 2 chances to break combo into flipout is his best plan of offense.

His juggles do crap damage (not really so much, 20-25% dmg isn’t crap damage at all, and you can get that or more from an AA c.HK using just juggles which are pretty hard to break if you mix’em up properly) but they allow you to mix it up before you go for the flipout, instead of always allowing your opponent to break, or taking the huge risk that CB is to try and make them afraid of breaking.

His divekick obviously isn’t supposed to be used against hail =P it navigate around projectiles at a distance, and makes your opponent afraid of using horizontal projectiles when you’re close without forcing you to try and jump in to get AA’d on reaction. You can neutral jump safely and they won’t be able to throw projectiles in your face because you can react with the divekick.

On wake up, it’s another oki option. The more you vary your offense on oki, the harder it’ll be for your opponent to deal with it. Neutral jump early in your opp’s wake up will give you a neutral jump in, or a dive kick > c.LP crossup. It shouldn’t be used too commonly, since it’s easier to avoid than some of his other options, yet it’s a legit setup as well, and will keep your opponent on his toes if used from time to time.

And yeah, against the bats its our best bet, because of how much screen space the bats take. The divekick not only navigates around, but it keeps her in check from going ham with air dashes.

1 Like

Try dive kick as a NJ cross-up tool. Don’t get obvious with it, but it will work far more than you think it will.

I love dive kick. It isn’t a tool to be used every time you jump, but it is a damn good tool.

@DyingAlloy66626

Flipoutt is fantastic. I only use the damage ender to kill, otherwise it is launcher ender into flipout 100% of the time. Throw makes them want to push buttons. 5hk makes them want to block. Cross-up dash makes them want to block away from you. It is a damn good mix-up, and a weird kind of “standing oki”.

2 Likes

yup^

Great games today, @AddictedToKaos, sorry I couldn’t get most of what you were saying, I don’t use a mic with the stick, so your voice was pretty low over the game’s audio.

I don’t think you should feel frustrated about your wulf, as I told you, I like your wulf and I think you’re doing well at adapting to his gameplan in Season 3. Even if you don’t like it as much, I think if you keep at it you’ll keep getting better without any drastic changes needed at all.

Right now, wulf is basically a footsies and frame traps monster (like he already was before, but he could be played much more yolo thanks to his overhead and harder to break ground combos) and he gets most of his good offense and damage from flip out and oki setups for constant pressure. And that was pretty clear in the few matches we played, and you seem to understand that pretty well, too. Just work on your manuals, study up on those flip out setups and go for them as much as possible, while keeping it as varied as possible, and soon you won’t feel wulf is weak, IMO =P

As I said, hit me up any time you wanna have a few matches! GGs.

1 Like

I agree with @Skryba that Wulf is best with short combos to juggle ender now.

He’s death by a thousand cuts, if you will.

Bigger combos are nice, but flip out is important. Most importantly though, having room to work with on the KV meter is the only thing that keeps opponents from breaking flip out every time. It’s no secret that Sabrewulf can only flip out with a light.

Long combos into juggles means your opponent will break CR.LK somewhat fearlessly. Leave some KV to work with though and a lockout via CR.MK can lead to good damage, IF you have shadow meter for a recap.

Counter breaker is an option, but Wulf can’t play this game against alot of characters. Tusk, Thunder, Mira- if you play CB chicken with them then you will get bopped. They hit too hard to make it worth the risk. So that’s why I short combo into flip out. If they aren’t afraid of locking out on my juggle follow-up than flip out is not a threat.

2 Likes

Is there anyone in the game that can flipout on something that isn’t a light?

I find that if they start to break my ender > flipout, a 5mp > ragged edge > flipout avails them of the notion that they have the right to touch a button while I’m still doing my thing. You sit there and take my standing oki… and you better love it! The missing piece was you showing me 5hk. That is 100% crucial to keep them honest and blocking.

@ All Wulfs, if anyone wants to get a game in… please look me up! I’m 100% still learning, and I’m moving onto Glacius (I’m trying to get each to 50 to decide who I want to play), but Wulf looks to be a keeper for me. He’s just too damn fun.

2 Likes

With the breaker system resetting everything to neutral now (which I used to not like but have grown to see the benefit of) going for short combos and being so afraid of being broken makes less sense to me now. If the opponent breaks, just go back to playing your game. If you have decent approach and footsies, this is not that big of a deal. Of course if you’re playing a heavy zoning opponent it’s more of an issue, but going for multiple resets instead of going for damage on a character like Glacius is seriously playing with fire.

Plus, you are still playing the breaker game with flipout. As noted, everyone knows that lk is his flipout button after a juggle. So you still have the same opportunity to get broken as just doing grounded combos and going for lockouts there. The difference is less damage for the combos.

Really I didn’t have to change my gameplan too much with season 3. IG nerfed a lot of his brain dead nonsense that quite frankly, I’m glad I no longer have to deal with when I play other Wulfs. His linkers are easier to break than they used to be, yes. But they are no easier than any other character in the game. They have just been normalized with the rest of the cast. The risk/reward is appropriate IMO.

As far as his damage reduction goes: Wulf now has to open his opponents up 3 or 4 times instead of 2 or 3. What used to be 60-75% damage lockout combos with meter and instinct are now 45-60% with 2 meters. If you’re happy with 10-15% on the regular or 20-25% on a lockout then that’s fine too, but I wouldn’t call it THE way to play the character :confused: If I had to settle for that knowing that IG made every season 3 character hit like a TRUCK, I would be po-ed.

1 Like

"Its frustrating. Especially against zoner types. Do you think glacius, fulgore, jago have to work as hard to keep me out than how hard I have to work to get in?NO. Do zoners have to work as hard as I do to get in to get out once I get in or knock down? NO. "

LOL. Explain.

" I guess I’m just a crappy player that keeps making it into damn killer tier since they introduce this tiered ranked system."

I mean, anyone and their mom can get killer tier so yeah there’s that. KI Tiers do not = Skill lol

“And why they nerfed his ONLY overhead”

It went from 14 frames, Aka UNREACTABLE
To 21 frames, Aka REACTABLE
You can still combo into his overhead with B+HP into overhead, Any Counter hit into overhead will combo.

“They nerfed his dash mixup/eclipse so it’s reactable” Uhhhh That’s the point. Un-seeable mixups are stupid and on top of that S2 wulf was hitting people with Un-seeable mixups that led to like a easy ONCE CHANCE 70% via OVERHEAD for example.

A lot of people say wulf is horrible in S3 and got nerfed too hard. Again… Explain
Evo Champion and KI World Cup Champion was taken out 3-0 By UA Mygod(Wulf Player)

IMO The people that say wulf sucks now are the same people who don’t know how to play neutral or footsies and just did yolo overheads and slides, popped instinct and melted a whole lifebar in one touch while feral canceling random unreactable moves that were impossible to see to make it safe LOL. I’m glad Wulf is this way because he takes way more of a brain to use and the scrubs can be separated from the good players now.

Wulf has to open you up at least 4-5 times in S3 instead of 1-2 like in S2. IDK why people are complaining about this when he has the most advantageous normal in the game therefore it being easy to open people up.

6 Likes

2 Likes

To be fair oat of that footage is s2 and the only s3 one Rico paused so it was more like a 2-0

True. At Killer levels Wulf players have a complete different way of play. I was used to tear trough Wulfs players until i found the ones that keep doing juggles/frame traps and abusing his throw that seems to catch you during wakeups as if you was standing. A pain in the ■■■.

Oh man, so true. I still fall for that throw bait way too often. Wulf is becoming great for frame trapping with his rushdowns, instead of just relying entirely on speed and mixups.