Tusk Matchup Help

Ok, did some frame-steps. For the “start” of the move I counted every frame after I heard start sound of the move. Depending on how the game measures frame data, this may actually be 1 frame later than the move’s true start. So margin of error is 1 additional frame (to start and end. This does not affect total frames).

the start and end frames listed ARE deflect frames themselves. Not the frame before or after the deflect window. So cr.MP’s [5, 6, 7, 8, 9] is actually FIVE deflect frames.

Big surprise in the findings was that s.MP and QCB+MP had 3 and 2 (!) frames of deflect time. I would be very careful when using QCB+MP to deflect.

Normals

cr.MP
frame #5 deflect start
frame #9 deflect end
5 total

s.MP
6 deflect start
8 deflect end
3 total

cr.HP
5 deflect start
11 deflect end
6 total

s.HP
5 deflect start
9 deflect end
5 total

Specials

QCB+MP
7 deflect start
8 deflect end
2 total

QCB+HP
10 deflect start
16 deflect end
6 total

Would be nice to have some developer confirmation of these numbers hint, hint

2 Likes

Yeah, Omen is pretty freaking bad. I went 2 and 10 against one just now and felt my options were quite limited.

Here’s what I’ve learned so far:

He can chuck rasha’s at you all day. Tusks jump is seemingly too floaty to punish even a tripple rasha at good range. You need to accept your best option to not let him constantly fill the screen with rasha’s is going to be half screen jumps into j.MP while he’s throwing the Rasha’s. The thrown rasha’s will catch you on the way down, but they don’t hurt as much as your j.MP. The j.MP isn’t particularly strong either so you’ll be doing this ALOT at full screen, and really only edging up on Omen while he builds a ton of meter.

When Omen finally realizes he’s going to lose a game based entirely on 2-for-5% trades he’s eventually going to have to sit there and try to AA a half-screen j.MP. Then maybe, just maybe, you can now use your skull splitter or sword normals from long range because he has to sit there baiting your jump in.

I didn’t see Omen’s jump as a serious threat. Tusk’s AA feels like it destroy’s omen in the air. You just need to realize you can’t throw out a sword normal and expect to AA him in recovery. This is kinda Tusk’s universal meta-game against every character. Sword normals are high recovery and weak against jump ins, so you have to really sit there, bait, and teach them over time that they can’t jump in on you.

Omen’s damage is pretty bad. Omen’s best option for opening you up is corner throws. It’s winnable, but in a winning game you are going to open up Omen 6 times, and he’s going to open you up a billion times. This just feels pretty painful.

TODO:
I should examine how back+s.HP changes the meta-game at mid range. I honestly don’t use this move as much as I should given I’ve seen alot of Tusk’s get good mileage out of it.

TLDR:
jumping into his j.MP and trading with rasha’s on the way down is pretty much Tusks’ only anti-zoning.

1 Like

Thank you!!

So, wouldn’t be that the only “good” option that we have against Glacius when he’s lauching his 3 projectiles? Quick command dash + grab?

If Glacius gets his Multi Hail out the best thing i found so far is dash into hp/hk follow up.

You still get hit by hail but the stagger on Glacius makes it even. I tried to dash into b+hp but no chance. And the shatter glitch makes it extremely hard - since you have to backdash on wakeup everytime vs him but you want to be Close.

The more i play him the more i would trade damage on his sword normals for a projectile invul move.

Orchid instinct gives him hard time - no shadow counter for you Tusk, omen fireball pressure, glacius hail, arbiter carbine.

Some matchups are very easy and some are just so bad that the struggle is real.

The more players will adjust to the MU the more he will be having a hard time.

I will stick to him unless Joanna finds her way into KI - which i doubt.

He is mad fun.

1 Like

Thanks for your findings, Lycan.

As an Omen player, i can tell you that this is almost entirely wrong. Tusk has a move that is projectile invincible. I believe it is his slide, or something like that. Plenty of Tusk players have charged in at me, ignoring the projectiles, threw me, and tryed to set up wake-up pressure.

It is not projectile invincible. It’s upper body projectile invincible.

Oh. I didnt notice.

IDK. ive only played the matchup a few times, but if they get in even once using that method, things can get pretty bad.

I’ve played some ranked games yesterday after my post, and everything was going “well”, until I fought against Glacius/Omen players.

OMG, at first I was like “ok cool, I’ll try everything I’ve read on ultra-combo’s forums”. It didn’t go well. Fisrt of all, I have to say, it, I want to say it so loud, so I’ll just type it with uppercase:

WHY DOES GLACIUS HAVE A SPEEDY GONZALES FULL SCREEN LIQUIDIZE?
So much BS on this move. How am I supposed to react to this? How is this move fair??? I don’t understand.

And then the Omen players, as I don’t have the same feeling about him having BS moves, I think the matchup is really in his favor. He can easily put distance by jumping/grab/full screen slide and just spam those weird projectiles (that are sometimes not upperbody), and just wait for an opener.

The only character I have trouble with based on MU is Shago but its the same issues I have with any character I pick against Shago.

I thought Sadira and Orchid and Riptor were gonna be bad but spacing and Instinct kinda saved the day. Took me a few days longer to see the weak points on them vs Tusk’s tools but these fights are pretty even

I thought Hisako was gonna be a straight dookie fest. However using Back HP on hard knock downs and mastering certain deflect windows against her favorite attacks is just Everything :heart_eyes:

This is actually pretty solid advice in general. It’s something I’m not sure a lot of Tusks are utilizing. His B-HP is amazing. And it actually hits surprisingly far. Mixing that up on hard knockdown is godlike vs Omen and any other character without a reliable wake up.

b+hp is good but keep in mind its a projectile so charging it a bit too long gets you wrecked even when you dash cancel when Hisako has meter. And the hitbox is pretty low so jumping out of it is find.

But the frame advantage on hit is pretty good. B+HP lvl 2 is +20 on hit. Level 3 even +30 and lets you do st.hp into throw for unbreakable damage (though techable).

Humm, I found out that b+HP is a great tool when the opponent is knocked down and has no metter (or if it’s Tusk… he has no projectile invulnerable move)

BUT, when opponent has meter, you can also use b+HP as a trap. I usually cancel dash and either block or grab that wake up shadow move.

It is good.

I just pointed out that its not free to use.

Backdash, jump, Projectile invul moves, Wakeup Teleport there are plenty of ways to counter it.

I used it in really long sets vs good players to check its usability. While it is good and can be used to bait out stuff it is still very limited and it has plenty of recovery depending on the level you charged.

What i like to do is throw then light dash b+hp into backdash into heavy skull splitter.

A new general Tip:

After cr.mp i tried to find a reliable meterless way to confirm of it on hit, without risking a blocked slide cause at max range that link is pretty pretty tough.

I found imo the best and easiest way to do it. After a cr.mp on hit input a light skullsplitter with a option select qcf + kick (his shoulder linker). Since it are only 3 Frames to confirm the option select qcf+kick is needed to get this to work.

If skull splitter (the range of where your cr.mp hit did not matter) hits the shoulder linker comes out and you are good to go.

If the light Skull splitter does not connect the shoulder input does not do anything and your at-1 on block.

Of course when you hit a close cr.mp there are easier ways but at the max range all normals will whiff

1 Like

I found this last night, also. In fact, it works on most ranges for any successful stagger.

Exactly as TrustfulWhale said:

it felt SO GOOD.

3 Likes