Things that I have been thinking and bothers me

I haven’t read all character’s reboot lore’s but I think it’s nice that they didn’t change the original’s too much. Ultratech forced Cinder and Glacius to fight each other in originals, and now they are fighting again if I don’t remember wrong?

In the original’s they first designed Riptor more like a lizard man, but apparently this idea was scrapped and they made her (or him, not sure about gender in originals) human-velociraptor hybrid. His/her neck and tongue was cobra-like tho.
I assume Riptor is your favourite one?

1 Like

Hell yeah. Granted, Eyedol’s wasn’t my favorite in that list, but a lot of the themes are just banging.

Yeah, Riptor was going to be a lizard man from Atlantis, but somewhere along the way, Rare opted to go with the more dark, cyberpunk dystopian route and having a lot of these creatures as bioweapons. Sort of like “Resident Evil” before RE was even a thing.

I really liked that connection. It kind of made sense that Cinder was in some way connected to Glacius aside from the obvious fire vs ice motif, so the idea that his abilities were derived from Glacius’ were a very interesting touch.

I didn’t mind the idea of having cybernetics on her…but, it could have been better depicted visually. The flame-injector kind of annoyed me tbh. In the original, Riptor spat venom like a cobra, which kind of made sense since she was a human/snake dinosaur monster thing. I know that she had the move “dragon’s breath”, which sort of acted similarly to Cinder’s “Inferno” move, but I wasn’t crazy at all about the added “flame injectors”, just because, what’s stopping Riptor from asphyxiating, be it from CO2 fumes or when some piece of food gets jammed down its throat? What’s stopping a piece of food from getting stuck in the nozzle of said-injector, thereby causing it to potentially explode? I know that in KI there is a lot of fringe science and that it’s just a video game, but still. At least with the original it kind of made sense in that was a snake.

That is correct, although in some ways they are slightly different. Cinder in the original was a convict who was experimented with some unknown “chemical” weapon that made him permanently on fire, and while technically that is also true in S2, he is more of a mercenary ala Deadpool, complete with the smart mouth. S3, they sort of rebooted his story as saying that Cinder’s transformation was actually voluntary and that ARIA “chose” him as part of some sort of test to create this newly advanced version of Homo Sapiens. I’m not gonna lie, I really disliked that change, as it essentially stripped away the inherent tragedy and pathos of the character. To a certain extent, that also applies to Glacius as well; in the original, Glacius was a pacifist - his people knew nothing of violence. In S3, they made him a “space martial”, which is a huge leap from what he was.

The snake aspect was very prominent when they were designing Riptor for the first game. The original design had more of a fat belly and humanoid frame, but later designs showed more of that “Jurassic Park” influence. Bayliss also did a really cool design for Riptor that to this day remains my favorite:

1 Like

Eyedol’s theme is not my favourite either, but all the other song, I’m still listening then nowadays.

Riptor is cool the way they decided to make him/her eventually, but I liked that idea of lizardman too, it would have been cool.
Now when you mentioned Resident Evil, who knows if they got that idea from Killer Instinct for those bioweapon creatures?

They also designed a wizard man, Orchid was first Roxy or Wanda and had blonde hair and red outfit, many characters have name changes, unused sounds and moves and in Killer Instinct 2/Gold there is unused endings. I would have liked that ending where Sabrewulf found the cure for his lycantropy. Poor Sabrewulf. :frowning:
I’m not sure have you seen these, but there is couple links.

https://tcrf.net/Killer_Instinct_(Arcade)

Oh, that one page says “Mortal Kombat clone”. I think that’s an insult for Killer Instinct. Yeah, they are similiar but I still think that MK and KI are so different.

Yep, classic fire and ice. :smiley:

I prefer original Cinder too, his appearance was better too.

Looks cool! Where did you find that picture?

1 Like

Indeed.

Possibly. RE came out the same year as “House of the Dead”, which had an extremely similar premise with government agents, genetic experiments at a mansion, zombies and monsters, although technically HOTD was released first.

Yeah, I saw those as well. I felt really sorry for Sabrewulf as a character - the poor guy has really been put through the ringer, especially in 2013.

Indeed I have. In fact, here is the original YouTube video from Kev Bayliss talking about his designs:

To a certain extent it is. KI does owe a lot to MK, if not SF, but it is definitely its own distinctive beast.

Same. That said, I didn’t mind the idea of his new design - the idea was that Cinder was basically wearing a containment suit complete with a mask to keep him from going supernova. Early versions of the mask were meant to evoke his KI1 design with it being featureless.

I think it actually looks so much cooler without the mouth tbh. His face without the mask is terrific, though, even better than the mask that he ended up getting in the game.

“Looks cool! Where did you find that picture?”

It was from an interview that he did with KI Central back in 2013.

The Evolving Killer Instinct Artwork of Kevin Bayliss – Killer Instinct Central

1 Like

Yup Riptor is my favorite. One of my main favs in fighting game history.

Yeah that’s the only difference. But yes they are fighting again, but this time Cinder is doing it willingly and Aria basically chose fire for Cinder to counteract Glacius.

1 Like

I agree. He deserves his happy ending.

I have seen this one. It was nice of him to share this with us.

Yeah, Killer Instinct has “fatalities” too and has its own tournament where characters fight each other, but I don’t see not much else the same, even I have played Mortal Kombats too. Maybe I just don’t see something what others does? Correct me if I’m wrong.
The excellent and distinctive think about KI is that all characters have their own theme music and stages.

That was something I haven’t seen. Thanks!

2 Likes

Allright! I need to watch these story modes. Thanks for link!

Now when you mentioned that Ice Fire thing, I wonder which one could really win.

2 Likes

It depends on the circumstances. you throw a match with a flame in the snow it will get put out. you throw an ice cube into a bon fire it will melt and the snow pile wont melt, and the bon fire won’t extinguish, its all in the amount.

1 Like

Good point!

1 Like

So now what are your favorite character themes/theme songs in the overall KI series? :slight_smile:

For me its the following from the 3 games

That’s quite a list.

2 Likes

Oh, its so hard to choose because all of them are good, but… Orchid, Spinal, Kan-ra and Hisako for sure. And of course KI main theme.

How about yours?

2 Likes

Yep, they are all good. :smiley:

Btw, I don’t know did you guys know and if it’s even true, but there’s a rumor that a new Killer Instinct is in active development.

2 Likes

My favorites include Jago, Orchid, Fulgore, TJ Combo, Maya, and Thunder as well as, of course, KI Main Theme :smile: :grin: :+1:

2 Likes

They are all awesome.
I tried figure out Maya’s theme’s lyrics, but someone at youtube said they are made up lyrics.
And someone told that he/she was at the club in Chile and there was Killer Instinct tracks playing.

2 Likes

I take rumors with a grain of salt until proven otherwise.

1 Like

I found one article about it, but it’s one year old tho.

2 Likes

If it is in active development its probably not on the right stage.

1 Like

Hard to say. It would be nice if a new Killer Instinct came, tho.

2 Likes