The Smooth Ball analogy (fighting game balance and creativity)

This is the future Gootecks came back to warn us about.

7 Likes
8 Likes

It’s interesting because I think this analogy perfectly describes why For Honor is terribly balanced and is a bad fighting game.

The way that game works is many characters have zero moves that are unreactable. As people learned this early in the game, the game ended up with a “turtle meta” essentially it would come down to a very boring fight of who throws the first punch. Punches could be parried on reaction and parries can be made safe so essentially most matchups were staring at each other until someone got impatient enough to do something.

There then of course were a couple classes like Peace Keeper who had one huge spike on the ball, the PK zone attack was one of the few un reactable attacks. As such it was one of the only classes that could open their opponent up through offense and not a defensive parry. Obviously this resulted in outrage by any non PK player and that class became one of the most popular.

This all is a bit of an over simplification there were some other variables that I’ve left out (warlord, conq).

The two main take aways is that the FH ball has too few spikes and so only a couple classes are viable. And a game where you can react to all moves (smooth ball) makes for a very boring game.

2 Likes

Scroll up to my post :slight_smile:

1 Like

ball analogies are almost as bad as food and car ones to be quite frank.

Infil better wake up block, because this rebuttal was hella meaty.

1 Like

3 Likes

Nah, all he has to do is ignore it. Which is what everyone should do in response to unproductive nonsense. :thumbsup:

4 Likes

“perfectly balanced” Peace keeper gets super speed, good damage and bleed damage, how’s that fair? : U

As a dev, if I hear the “Lego” analogy one more time I’m going to start ripping out my chest hair and throwing it at the speaker.

Lego analogy? What is that? Build things one piece at a time until it kinda halfway resembles something worthwhile?

I’m halfway joking but I really don’t know what that is.

It’s essentially “Think of all these software components like Legos. You can snap them together to create any solution you could ever need! No extra effort, infinite flexibility! And there’s a whole ecosystem of these components!”. Except it never works that way.

Ever make a Lego ‘race car’? Is it comparable to, say, a hotwheels or matchbox car? Not even close. It’s a barely functional ‘toy’ and only looks like a race car if you take 2 hits of LSD and squint at it really hard. But yeah, you can stick a flower on the hubcap.

4 Likes