Potential design elements of Shadow Orchid

I annoy a lot of players now as vanilla Orchid

3 Likes

I love that you do these. Even if nothing comes of them, this is the important kind of speculation, and I appreciate you for it.

The only thing I dislike is the jockeying of Sg.Slide. It just seems like the move would animate clunkily (it’s hard to appreciate a transformation into a shadow cat when it’s also a teleport, y’know?). Here I’d rather maybe see her just retain her DP, or perhaps a summoning projectile ala Orchid INSX-cats?

I like the groundbounce idea for her throw too. Versatility wins, always. I like the double-double thing too. Might only be good for lockouts, but damn, can you imagine counterbreaks w/ double-heavy AD’s? If Shorchid ends up being a playable (which I still kinda doubt) I hope they borrow from your ideas along w/ @DEClimax for gameplay , as well as @BblackorchidD’s ideas for visuals.

With the idea of Nightshade and the plants and stuff, I’d kinda like to see her play with poison mechanics. I know RAAM already does this to an extent (amongst others, depending on how you look at “poison”), but I think there is still a bit of interesting design space to be explored here.

DON’T GET ME WRONG FOLKS - I DON’T WANT IT! WAAAAHHHH!!! :joy:

3 Likes

Yes you do! Lol

My gripe is only because of the derpports. Otherwise he’s fine. The surge slide is annoying (I can rarely block it or do anything for whatever reason) but I’ll come around to defeating it eventually. Derpports though? Get that garbage outta here.

Sorry for off-topic, I just wanted to say that Sg.Slide is one of those moves that is just as frustrating for the defender as the user. When it hits, it pops up w/ such verticality that rapid random side-switching occurs, making it incredibly difficult, if random, to follow up on. It’s actually why I quit practicing the character - his most threatening mixup option is flat out unreliable. Forget that noise.

I just can’t see any design choice that would make me like a Shadow version of Orchid. The whole “ghostly skull” theme Shadow Jago has isn’t something I want to see on Orchid. I don’t think it’s cool, and it’s definitely not Orchid. I like Orchid as she is. The ONLY thing I would change is her wielding tonfas instead of batons, but that’s it.

I just don’t like clone characters, I don’t want “evil” versions of other characters, it is not the kind of character I enjoy. It’s lazy and uninspired, it’s not creative and it’s not cool, imo.

On a whole I agree that doing another “shadow” character is a bad idea to begin with. I think the way to salvage it is to take it in a totally different direction instead of just doing a generic “dark” version of a character.

2 Likes

She needs to definatly have different design elements to help her stand out from the regular orchid.

3 Likes
2 Likes

F

That’s an awesome top @VergoVan
Good discussion guys

The top hairstyle is close to what I was thinking. Glowing fire like and moving like necalli or captain marvel mvci

I’m really feeling shorchid could fulfill our witch trope wishes

@developers a mix between witch and the telekinetic

3 Likes

Why does she have to be shadow? Could the firecat not possess or fully take her over turning her into a Jean grey/phenix type?

As stated above she could have hair like v triggered necalli. Possibly not need her weapons. Maybe even have thunder’s phenix projectile.

1 Like

I’m guessing-
shadow meter
shadow moves
shadow lords
shadow lab
shadow points
shadow skins
shadow lord artifact

Trends

What if shorchid has a GRIFFIN evolved firecat

SHORCHID INSTINCT YES!

1 Like

`

I don’t like Shadow Jago concept.
I don’t like Shadow Orchid as concept.

Why I’m here then? To make the concept more interesting.

@DEClimax said something very intelligent:

I find this very intelligent, and it gave me a backstory idea which leads to new gameplay archetype idea:

What if, instead of being possesed by Omen, Orchid is affected by the corruption of Gargos, and instead of being possesed

The Firecat comes to life as the “Shadow Firecat”.

Let’s call this shadow firecat “Murkat”. It’s a terrible name(Murk+ Cat), but my mind came with both this and Billy. So let’s stick to Murkat as placeholder

Gargos tries to use Omen to possess Orchid in a similar way to Jago and Shadow Jago
 but Orchid, aware about the Shadow Lord existence, manages to resist. Still, the stress of the situation affects Orchid, and during her fight against the Herald, she uses her firecat powers to overpower Omen. The result was unexpected: Although she retains her firecat(maybe in a different way, leading to balance changes for Orchid!), this situation creates a new entity: the shadow firecat, know as Murkat.

The firecat is pure destruction being lashed by Orchid. It’s not a “bad” or “good” entity: it’s just power. Murkat, by the other side, is destruction power AND is corrupted by shadow power. Feeling the power of the Shadow Lord, Murkat swears loyality to Gargos, so it can spread destruction in the name of the Shadow Lord

Appearance:
Murkat has the appearance of black panther, with shadow energy pouring from it’s body

(Yes, this is a tiger, but you get the idea). It’s as long as Riptor, with similar size overall. Could use some extra features(wings, horns, armor). I feel that a Pink color to have the pink panter it’s mandatory XD(@VergoVan would love this) Another color could be the yellow one of Orchid’s firecat. Omen’s mask could be an accesorie.
Optionally, it could be humanoid shaped:
http://posercontent.com/sites/default/files/products/140321/0909/cat-world-regen-for-poser-1.jpg
In this case, it could be similar to Orchid’s appearance

Gameplay:
Being the first character which stands over 4 legs could sound difficult to do, but may be not as hard as it looks.
Murkat is similar to Noob Saibot: Uses projectiles which are basically a duplicate of itself. Has decent walkspeed, moderate combo damage, and it’s forward jump is quite low, but covers a lot horizontal space.

Run: Similar to TJ or Wulf, Murkat has a run with different follow ups. It has an overhead, a low and a mid(all combo starters, all negative, except the mid, which is +) with kicks, and duplicates with punches. If you press punch while running, Murkat stops and a dark firecat continues his previous path. All of them are similar to to the kicks version, so the duplicate can perform a low, an overhead, and a mid. After a brief recovery, Murkat can move freely again, so he can go for a duplicate which hits low, and then go by himself with an overhead. He runs faster than the duplicates, so he can surpass them from fullscreen, leading to ambigous mixups, or making his low/overhead attacks safe with the mid firecat. Shadow version is projectile invulnerable, and like Cinder, depending of the combination(LP+HP, LP+MP
), gives you hybrids: both you running and the firecat running alongside you, and depending the combination, the firecat uses a different attack, so you can do the opposite(or not!)

DP: Murkat leaps into a dp similar to Orchid’s shadow dp. Light is invulnerable, but deals minor damage. Medium is a duplicate which emmerges from Murkat, and leads to a juggle, has upper body invulnerability. Heavy has no invulnerability, and is Murkat jumping while a duplicate stays in the ground, hitting the opponent in the air with his real body, and then the ground duplicate recaptures it for a combo. Murkat is airborne, so it must use an air attack as manual. Deals decent damage by itself.

Rekka: Similar to Orchid, Murkat uses his claws or his bites to preassure with a rekka which can lead to high/low mixups. L is low, M is overhead, H is a firecat with similar applications than Orchid H rekka, but puts some distance between Murkat and the opponent(he jumps back), and its +, so you can go for another mixup with run(rekka it’s out of range)

Instinct: Everything Murkat does, it comes with an second firecat which does the same. Works as Yun’s Genei Jin. Every normal and special is affected by this, so sometimes she is increadibly hard to shadow counter. Deals more damage during combo, and inflicts chip damage with the extra attacks on block

So, I kinda cheated: it’s a character with Orchid’s flavor, born from Orchid, but it’s no “Shadow Orchid”. Anyway, IMO it could work

2 Likes

This is actually a pretty neat idea. As an MvC3 Amaterasu player, I’m a big fan of the 4-legged idea.

1 Like

Going by that the word shadow has been flogged to death lol.
The dark /shadow side of Jean was firey in appearance and demeanour. This version of orchid could be the same. She doesn’t have to be dressed in dark colours. God knows there’s plenty of that in the game already.

I modified the Instinct idea. It was not very inspired because looked too similar to Rash and Orchid. IMO this one is better

If its Shadow Orchid, if the thing possessing her gets out, is it still an Omen, or and OWomen?

I’ll get my coat

7 Likes

Brilliant!