Option Selects in KI

Wish they got rid of them…

1 Like

I agree, I have not been in favor of this method used in fighting games. My gameplay has centered around strong reads in neutral and mind games.

1 Like

vesper put it in a good way. (not quote on quote)

“It’s like your own slot machine is rigged to never lose.”

It’s technically an legal form of cheating in a sense. What with how the system works.

1 Like

But it’s also not guarantee to win. Just guaranteed to never lose. Like with the sadira one mentioned above the tj player could just block and deal with the mix up. It’s not guaranteed to open him up.

You did win. You successfully shutdown your opponent’s without even having to think about them since you know whatever they throw it won’t work. So they know just have to block making them predictable. Because any other option good read/guess or not they lose.

Here is a very simple option select example in KI that many players use (or should use) a variation of. I’ll use Aganos as the example for Geek’s sake:

• do Pulverize with Aganos, then press HP while the move is animating
  • on hit, Pulverize will go into an HP auto-double
  • on block (or air hit), the HP will do nothing

This means you don’t have to see whether an opener hits in order to keep your combo going. You can literally always press the button, and the game decides for you whether the input is valid or not.

How would you “get rid” of this OS, @GalacticGeek? It is a direct (and necessary) byproduct of the fact that the game does not allow inputs at certain times, but does at other times.

3 Likes

Could always go back to the the SF2 days…

Have you heard of this thing called the T.Hawk SPD OS that was in ST?

It created literally inescapable command throw loops against almost every character in the cast. It was hard to input, but those that were able to made T.Hawk a touch-of-death character.

2 Likes

I’m talking SF2 SF2. Not ST…not HD. I’m talking…way back.

Do you think the original SF2 did not have OSes?

I doubt it did. Seeing as how inputs were done in that game.

It had them.

3 Likes

I doubt that.

Or…we could go back to the dreaded SF1…dark days those were…

Or…the easiest solution if one wanted would be to simply ban them in tournaments.

Sorry, friend. It had them.

But really, OSes are not evil (most of the time). They are a perfectly valid and interesting way to play fighting games. In fact, they often make your life easier, not harder! There shouldn’t be a super huge negative reaction to them.

Special move buffering? Safe jumps? Late throw techs? These are all technically option selects, and none of them can be (or should be) removed.

Everyone would be disqualified immediately. You do option selects without even realizing you do them. Have you ever buffered crouching MK into wind kick, and your MK whiffed and nothing came out? Most players do this all the time, even if purely on accident. (You also have no idea whether your opponent was buffering an input or not, so you can’t even detect whether they’re being used)

4 Likes

If they were, so be it. Still don’t like them.

I can’t say I’ve ever buffed moves when the there’s nothing to strike. Never bothered. Although I’m trying to remember. And I’m getting a blank.

I thought everyone did that (OS aside.) So I just did it. And still do.

Have you ever tried to tech a throw, but you blocked a move instead so nothing happened?

Should that be DQable? How do you expect to even be able to tell if someone tried it? What negative, broken, terrible style of gameplay happened here that warrants such an extreme reaction?

1 Like

Aganos also has also the oh so popular Ruin into Instinct OS.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ummmmmmm…if I did then it was of bad timing (which usually ended in me getting hit in some way).

Tell through prediction and pattern. Isn’t that how FG’s are supposed to be? Fighting in general? I mean…yeah. What else is there?

I wouldn’t recommend continuing the argument @Infilament. If a man doesn’t want to understand something, then he won’t understand it. Further appeals to reason are likely to be fruitless.

1 Like

plz help me i have a problem

3 Likes