My Take on Dagger Assault

I did mention something like that before. My thought was giving her an option in combo to cancel any remaining dagger attacks and return them to her hands, as long as there are attacks remaining. It would give maya players an incentive to use the ender with more pips, and makes it less of a problem to use it outside of instinct.

It feels wrong to me that even if the dagger assault completes successfully, even if you open up your opponent, the daggers still separate.

2 Likes

That makes sense. I like the idea, maybe the @developers can take a note and try it out?
If its an option outside of the combo system, it should have a semi-reactable animation. Something like Spinal’s new Skull gain animation, but a slightly shorter duration. If she tries to get her dagger(s) back from a poor range, the opponent has a chance to poke out of it.

1 Like

As a Maya main, Dagger Assault is a very underwhelming ender where the risk far outweighs the rewards.
It’s most prominent use is to download your opponents tendencies by playing a small footsie/mixup game to find the gaps in their defense.
Without its glaring weaknesses this ender is easily one of the most overwhelming enders in the game due to it forcing your opponent to completely switch their playstyle to defensive footsies. In the hands of a patient player, Maya can force her opponent to sacrifice resources & positioning for uncertain results.

That being said, The changes I would make to it are:

1. Have the daggers add less KV so as to promote combos throughout the duration of the assault. Pretty self explanatory

2. Add a touch more pushback to the activation. This change is to help the opponent stop the offense after the first volley of hits.

3. (This is my personal #1) Have the daggers be treated as if they were blocked, only in regards to drop speed & being able to be caught mid air. One of the many risks of Dagger Assault is that you are left with half your offense afterwards. which cripples you for using said ender. Having the ability to catch them mid air once they fly helps you add more pressure & allows you a chance to gain even footing with the opponent quickly.

1 Like

This sounds really good but not too good. I like it!

I don’t understand how you would catch them in mid air though. Maybe have a LK+MK+HK input to call the daggers back whenever you want if they’re still in Dagger Assault mode.

Thanks man :slight_smile: I’ve thought about it for a bit.

I personally don’t think she needs a recall action for them in the middle of the assault. That would lead to far too many hijinks. Think of the nutiness of applying that with her Axe Kick mixups, or canceling on empty Leap kicks, oof I’m salivating at the thought lol.

I was thinking it would be how you can catch thrown daggers that were blocked, but instead it would be on completion of its volleys or when you get hit out of it. I envision a world where if timed correctly, you would jump forward from a dash, crossing over them & grabbing both daggers seamlessly, setting both of you back to neutral unless they shadow uppercut you. Or if they get stopped in the middle of the volley, you can walk & block to at least catch one of them so as to not be at a total disadvantage. Or toss out an empty Leap kick, catch it in mid air, & continue the pressure.

What about this:
When ussing Dagger assault, instead of her daggers, Maya summons two spiritual daggers over her opponent, mantainig her daggers on her hands. Spiritual daggers works the same way as the current ender(dissapear when Maya is hit, etc
)

This means that Maya doesn’t lose options when she uses this ender since she can still use her daggers. If spiritual daggers are active, blocking Maya’s daggers doesn’t grant any pips to her daggers.

Also, Maya can’t get pips on blocked daggers for some seconds after the last hit of dagger assault.

Pros:
-Maya’s options remains the same while daggers makes her safe
-More mixup options
-More combo options between your daggers and the spiritual ones

Cons:
-You lose pip gain during dagger assault and some seconds after it finishes

That’d be too OP, I think, just from the amount of options that would give her.

I’m sorry, but that change would make her Godlike. Having access to her dagger normals On Top of the barrage of nonsense would mean that you would be back to season 2 Maya, only using her dagger ender because of how broken it is.

I prefer balance over broken lol.

That makes both of us!

I know the change is strong, I’m just throwing some ideas so everyone can help to find a balanced idea

And for the record: Maya is one of my most hated characters to fight against, and the last thing I want, is make her overpowered xD

But still, I do believe that dagger assault could use something more.

I thin needs a buff and buffs some of Maya normals to compliment it. My idea would be
-Make Maya be more positive after the ender I think it’s +4 maybe make it +8
-Decrease the kV build by slot

• daggers comeback when ender done
  • Amount of damage scaling during combos decreased.
    -Make maya overhead slightly faster.

+8 ender 0.0. You should not be able to combo after it.

2 Likes

+4 is the standard for advantage enders because +4 is the most advantage a character can have without being able to link jabs and combo after.

Just thought I’d share this bit of insight.

+8 Sounds a little a little much but making her more + seems like a good idea.:+1:Making her overhead faster would make her better while she is mixing you up since it is very reactable and someone could just press a button during the OH and end Dagger Assault.However her normals are just fine imo.

I did not no that sorry I just think she should be in more of an advantage than what she already is maybe in another way instead of being more +.

No need to be sorry, friend! I don’t disagree with the idea that her DA could be improved on in a way that doesn’t leave her high’n’dry, I just thought that since you were suggesting frame data changes maybe you’d be interested in knowing that little tidbit.

I think if she could link off of it, it may as well be a stagger, but then what’s the point of the DA, and shouldn’t it cost a bar? I dunno, lots of crazy stuff to worry about if it were +8, but I like all the other ideas.

Not sure about buffing her OH. It’s reactable, yeah, but it’s also feintable.

How about for Dagger Assault, Maya can manually trigger the daggers at her will. Press light punch for light dagger, medium for medium dagger, and heavy for both at once. She loses her punch normals that are just kicks though. Allows for more freedom and creativity.

3 Likes

I like this @Sasuke99I

1 Like

I agree with Dayv0. What if 1 was also positioned above, with the other below? The 1 above would hit overhead, while the other would hit low, and both at the same time would hit mid (or some similar variation on that idea)?

I know this is a necro, but if thought of a small tweak to Dagger Assault that could make a big difference: Having the daggers return once it’s finished.

I agree that having spirit daggers in addition to her real ones would be a less than balanced choice. But making it so when the Assault ends her daggers don’t go flying willy nilly would make it much more appealing.

Alternatively, it might be more threatening if the Dagger Assault didn’t get stopped when Maya is hit. It would help keep the opponent locked down more effectively if they couldn’t negate its effect so easily.

I don’t think it needs any big changes. Just a tweak or two. Otherwise Maya is still incredibly solid.

1 Like