Max Disagress with making Fighting Games Casual

I don’t think there is any fighting game just for casual players, but most games do have some characters that are easier to use than others. In Tekken, King is alot easier to use than Jin. In MK, Scorpion is easier to use than Sub-Zero. Now that does not mean easy to master, just easy to learn basic combos with.

What makes Max some authority figure on fighting games anyway? Because he plays them? Lol. I would bet that 80% of the people in this forum know just as much if not more than he does.

1 Like

Super Smash Bros.

Nope, that game has high skill barrier as well.

2 Likes

I might be alone on this, but I will never consider that a real fighting game. That is why I did not think of it.

1 Like

Yet tons of kids play it just for fun without any expectations of getting into EVO.

No, I don’t really consider it a fighting game either, more like a party brawler. But there’s tons of pro players who would disagree. I don’t care about semantics though, if they wanna pretend it is a real fighting game, then let them do so.

3 Likes

As well as KI and MKX, your point?

Don’t you get it? It’s not about if a fighting game is JUST made ONLY for casual players or not. As long casual players can still play it and have fun! AND THEY CAN! That’s the beauty of it! ^^

1 Like

I’ll always resent modern warfare. The impact that game had ruined shooters for like 7 years. Suddenly every shooter had to have few mobility options, cover everywhere, and extremely fast time-to-kill on all weapons. After all, we couldn’t have bunnyhopping, strafejumping, and longer skill-based duels ruining the immersion of our military shooter! Gotta clamp down and really squash that skill ceiling. I’m glad titanfall’s influence has changed things up and brought skill-based movement back into shooters over the past few years, and soon we’ll have a new quake game too.

How is this “dumbing down?” The system hasn’t been removed, it’s been changed to be more effective. This is clearly not a change made to appeal to casuals, but rather to buff defensive options in matches of all levels. Same goes for making the startup on shadow counters universal.

The 2 things I hate in FPS are bunny hopping and camping. To me it makes the game look stupid to see 20+ people always jumping like they are on crack. I think it would be great if the only time you could jump is when you need to get over something, or reach a higher area.

1 Like

I loved the first Titanfall. Haven’t touched Titanfall 2 because the Beta I tried wasn’t very good (it had that sluggishness problem, and there was an alarming lack of titans), but I’m really happy this sort of game is making a comeback.
My favorite example is Doom. The multiplayer was okay, and I actually had fun with it,but I was really happy to see a campaign that wasn’t afraid to let me explore and face legions of demons that all behave differently with weapons that aren’t all the same weapon with slightly tweaked stats. And if Doom, Wolfenstein: TNO, and the first Titanfall are any indication, AAA isn’t so afraid to have ludicrous levels of violence either, so this generation has seen a resurgence in gibs :heart_exclamation:

But yeah. Accessibility shouldn’t have to mean low skill ceiling. Of course, certain genres could use a bit of tweaking to their barrier to entry (like fighting games, for example. Getting people out of the “button masher” phase and into understanding how the game plays is really difficult, at least in my experience trying to help others learn) but that doesn’t mean that there shouldn’t be goodies there waiting for those with the skill and patience to find them. I’d rather turn the stairs into a ramp than level all but the ground floor.

(Also I totally called the new Quake happening. They’re following the release pattern of yesteryear. First came Wolfenstein in 92, then came Doom in 93, then came Quake in 96. And what do ya know? 2014/15 Wolfenstein, 2016 Doom, 2017 Quake.)

You are just a bundle of joy and happiness, aren’t you? So much positivity in the air! Feel the love, everyone! Rainbows and hearts! The holiday spirit, can you feel it, guys and girls? So beautiful. <3

3 Likes

@fwufikins

I didn’t touch the beta but it’s great now and from what I understand the game saw massive improvements from beta to launch.

I think doing this would result in a really boring shooter I would never want to play.

1 Like

So you hate mobility and you hate people not moving?

7 Likes

I agree. who cares what max knows and what he Dosent. it’s the points he was making.

1 Like

You have no idea :imp: I have always wanted to buy a yellow car so I could have sunshine on the plates. People that know me would love it.

That’s such a cute idea. <3

1 Like

I don’t hate people moving. The sliding, wall running, and side jumps to move out of the way of fire are one thing, but to mash the jump for the whole match is just stupid. I think it is cool when someone can kill me while wall running or sliding.

The bunny hopping thing would not bother me if i have not been dealing and watching that for 20 years of FPS.

1 Like

Making a game accessible is GOOD, because it makes the game more appealing to everyone, casuals included. Killer Instinct combo system comes to mind as a good idea for this.

Making a game “dumber”, simple, or not deep to make it more appealing for casuals it’s BAD, since it makes the games more generic and less unique. COD made his work here, and we had almost a decade of shooters with similar weapons, no other movement than running, irrelevant jumping, and camping.

6 Likes

Actually, although I’m not so angry about it I agree with @SadisticRage76 that bunny hopping is awful. It’s “game behavior” that takes you out of the experience. No soldier, anywhere, ever, has bunny hopped their way across a battlefield. I think you could get rid of it by making headshots less important (by making them less damaging, harder to do, or making body hits more meaningful). To be fair, context matters and I think the running jumping characters of Titanfall make a lot more sense than in CoD or Battlefield. My FPS these days is Battlefront and people are hopping lamely all over the place in that.

The reason I’m commenting on this is because it is very relevant to the issue of fighting games. As @Dayv0 says, making things accessible is good, but dumbing them down is bad. So the question becomes are DP motions bunny hops or necessary complexity? What about FADC (“focus attack dash cancel” from SF IV). There’s really no “right” answer here - but each game should make their choice and act accordingly.

All fighting games involve a Rock Paper Scissors mechanic at their core. No one wants to play in a Rock Paper Scissors tournament. So these simple decisions are masked behind multiple layers of simultaneous decision making, controller input and character variation (your rock only beats his Scissors if you are crouching). This complexity makes it interesting and challenging and allows the player with the right combination of knowledge, experience and execution to consistently be better at the game - despite the elements of chance. So at some point if you remove the complexity entirely you are just playing Rock Paper Scissors, but if you make it too complex then new people don’t have a prayer.

Again, there’s no “right” answer here and people are going to like different things. Imagine a fighting game where the fighters control like Octo-Dad. This is my theoretical execution heavy model. Everything you do requires the player to act against intuition and micromanage every detail of what their character is doing. That sounds like torture to me - but I’m sure some people would LOVE it. Now imagine a fighter with no execution. All special moves are just button presses. This puts players closer to a purely mental exercise like Rock Paper Scissors. Arguably Smash Bros comes close to this and some people LOVE that game. It highlights two things - first timing and situational decision making matter a lot in how complex and execution heavy a fighting game will be. The “execution” in Smash Bros - which is really difficult at a competitive level, is not about making the moves happen, it’s about timing them appropriately.

So, high level players will take ANY game to the extremes of execution if given the freedom to do so. One game that I sunk a lot of hours into was DoA 2 Ultimate on 360. That game follows the generic 3D fighter formula of having (mostly) simple execution but tons of different button combos based on tap, tap, tap, chains and directional inputs. The challenges is remembering what does what, not in doing the moves themselves. It also had a reversal mechanic that was simple and therefore very close to a rock paper scissors. The point being, that was the first game where it became clear to me how much a part of success matchup knowledge was - because if you recognized your opponents combo string you could predict where a counterable move was coming. So removing the execution barrier can actually make some of those things more obvious to newer players.

TL:DR - simplicity is not the same as accessibility. You can be both accessible and complex at a competitive level.

3 Likes

<bad at the game
<“I hate Bhopping”

Oops almost missed you.
@BigBadAndy

You wanna complain about a game? Complain about KI. If you don’t enjoy a game, don’t complain about it’s CORE MECHANICS IF YOU DONT EVEN OWN IT.

1 Like