Lost Interest In Most KI Tournaments

Yep he’s a good character, no doubt. I think that’s fine, though. He doesn’t run away with the game, has matchups that are worse than 5-5 for him, lots of other characters are just as viable as him, etc.

The thing you have to think about is… if Jago gets slightly adjusted so he’s a top 3 character in the game anymore, what character takes his place? Will it be just as easy to complain about that new character (Omen? Thunder? Mira?) as it is Jago? Eventually I think we just have to enjoy the fact that KI is a game with strong characters and that’s often more fun than a game full of weak characters.

1 Like

I guess compared to the rest of the cast I feel as if Jago and Fulgore, at the highest level of play, can bring give more frustration than the rest of the cast. Then again, those characters seem to be more explored than say Kim Wu or Eyedol. Kim has extreme damage output and Eyedol is extremely unexplored (so it Kim).

We’ll just have to ride it out and see. I hope KI lasts longer than a year in the tournament scene. I’m quite unsure of it making EVO again, but time will tell.

Honestly it feels kind of surreal to see this much complaining about jago. He’s straightforward, and pretty tame for a top tier.

2 Likes

But guess what:

Textual stream is out and Jago is getting some small nerfs in 3.6 AND Fulgore getting changed

hahaaa

“Tuning is a constant process. We aren’t looking to rearrange the tiers, really, but we are always looking to compress them so that the bottom and top are as close together as we can reasonably manage in such a diverse game. Jago and Fulgore are still very powerful characters, despite many small nudges downward. Jago will receive a few more small nerfs in 3.6, including a change that leaves him punished on block at point blank range after a Shadow Endokuken. Fulgore will be getting a larger change in 3.6 that reworks his Instinct mode to promote a more thoughtful, meter conscious playstyle. More details will be coming soon.”

MY DREAMS ARE REAL

2 Likes

< shrug > I’m not actually that surprised. Jago really is strong, and has been for quite a while. I think the thing that pushes him into “eff this character” is his instinct though - it’s incredibly frustrating to get touched once and then watch him just burn you down with fireballs to regain a bunch of health. Healing abilities generate salt, and Jago’s in particular is really potent in the hands of someone who knows how to use it. I think you could drop his healing back to its S1 capability and Jago would still be Top 5. The addition of his fireball life swing combos just makes him that much more difficult to deal with.

My biggest issue with him though is still DP->shadow fireball->DP->shadow fireball->DP. :joy:

1 Like

5 Likes

These Nerfs to Jago and Fulgore aren’t really going to change the character much. Remember that guys. I don’t want you to be like:

“Yeah! Jago/Fulgore sucks now! I can beat these lame Jago/Fulgore players!”

Gets Double Perfected and Ultra into Instinct Cancel into Stage Ultra

2 Likes

Nobody wanted a huge nerf to them.

These subtle changes are what we needed and it is FANTASTIC. Plus, I’m not getting rekt by any trash Jago/Fulgores in ranked lmao. I’m just going to run sets with the good Jagos and Fulgores(Is there more than 1 good Fulgore?) and be happy to breathe a bit more in these matches.

Oh I know, it wasn’t specifically to you. It was more a general statement, lol.

Awww cmon, friend, don’t be a sore winner! :laughing:

I do actually think this is a good change, and very clever on the part of the combat team - functionally removing DPxEX Fireball without some sloppy mechanical adjustment. That way Jago remains intact, but is encouraged to play a bit less wildly.

I’m curious as to what else they have in store for him though.

I’m more curious about how the PD changes may affect the game, for better or worse.

1 Like

And everyone is gonna be laughing at them due to their stupidity and more lol. For real though, these small nerfs are to be significant…not major, but significant.

1 Like

How I feel

Lmao, but honestly these small changes are significant and I cannot wait for this ON TOP of the PD changes. Dear god. I just need to know what they change to Cinder with the PD changes. Hopefully they don’t go too far to compensate for the change.

Life is good. Hello 3.6

Yeah, me too. I cannot bring myself to pick up Jago. And in addition, it makes me feel cheap and a bit dirty too. :fire:

1 Like
2 Likes

I just hope you’re happy with the shadow fireball nerf. As a Jago main I’ve even gone out and said I wouldn’t mind significant nerfs to passive meter gain, forcing Jago to choose to be a meter character at the expense of losing damage/oki after a combo.

But his frames? :sweat:

Man, it wouldn’t be KI if I couldn’t follow up a knockdown with meaty clMK clMK crMK xx medium laser sword, confirming any counterhits along the way on reaction. Hell, it’s not even the most potent instance of that kind of pressure: Riptor and Wulf have similar strings, but with less shadow-counterable ways of clawing back pushback, far better throw ranges (Jago doesn’t even have a tight, jab-proof tick-throw), many more mixups, and stubbier jumps for throw baits.

Frame traps are an important part of Jago’s core gameplay. Hell, the strong things about Jago are basically his frame trap pressure, wind kick, and DP. His poke buttons are outclassed by half the cast, he can’t zone, his walk speed is average, he can’t change his jump arc, his mixup arsenal is pretty much jHP, awesome overhead and terrible throw. Taken together his basic tool kit is very potent and yes he has a great instinct, but I think you have to be careful if you’re looking to nerf his frames.

2 Likes

People struggle against Jago and Fulgore? This is news to me.

LIES. you can’t get a juggle combo and oki off a throw and tell me it’s terrible :joy:

2 Likes

They’re talking about the throw range, which is definitely terrible.

2 Likes

Why do you need range when you have all those options???