Kim Wu's new ethnicity/nationality

“Hey China! We got a character that is partially Chinese! That means you will buy our game now, right?!”

… Really?

1 Like

Yes. You’d be surprised at what foreign companies are required to do in order to do business in China or to get on the good side of its finicky government.

Aside from conducting business, the communist party and the U.S. aren’t exactly on good terms.

I doubt that’s enought for the Chinese to buy their game though.
If they were already interested, then sure, but adding just a single character partially of the same culture just doesn’t seem like something that would persuade an entire nation to buy the game.

The point I am making is that anything helps. Giving Kim Wu some Chinese blood is a minor change that can bolster the image Chinese gamers have of the game.

Are the Chinese really that naive? Is that what you’re saying? That giving an already established character some Chinese influence enough to persuade some Chinese people to buy the game?

It’s like giving a character a gun and a spangled banner to persuade Americans to buy… erh… wait… now that you mention it, it does seem like enough to persuade some people. XD

You may be overestimating the Chinese government.
Jago being from Tibet was enough for them to ban the game.

So where exactly are people getting the Korean thing from? Wu is a strictly Chinese last name. I always thought she was 100% Chinese in KI Gold. I can’t find anything pointing towards her being Korean except the name Kim, which is a Korean last name. But that’s obviously irrelevant since it’s her first name.

I asked a Chinese person and they said Kim Wu name one was Korean and one was Chinese so it makes sense, the mix.

no one questions whether Mariah Carey or Prince or Halle Berry are Black or white,

Why can’t we just LOVE KIM as she is

1 Like

Oh, I don’t actually care about her ethnicity. I just don’t care about Kim Wu as a character at all. She gets no love from me whatever her ethnicity is. XD

Whattttttt
I thought you’d be a Kim player.

Didn’t you like Leona and Cammy

I like Cammy, yes. What does that have to do with Kim Wu?
So far, the characters I like to play in KI are Orchid and Sadira.

Guess I was just wrong.

I didn’t like Kim Wu in KI2. She was the typical Asian Kung Fu girl, an archetype/stereotype in fighting games I’m no fan of. And it appears she still is just that. Sure, a somewhat cool representation of Bruce Lee, but nothing too exciting. I’m no fan of the nunchako either. She’s just not my type of latté.

That doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate her design and character though. IG did a great job with her, imo. And like I’ve mentioned before, I do like her attitude as it reminds me of “Jake the American Dragon”… a smartass teen Chosen One who has a thing for dragons and is maybe a bit too loud for her own good. It fits her, imo.

1 Like

Kim should remain Korean and should have some type of accent.
Now she seems totally US… :confused:

From the Creative Director of the game himself.

‘Gasp’ sorcery!