KanRa needs adjustments

Kan-Ra, Riptor, Hisako, Aganos, and weirdly enough Godgore are very difficult characters to play at high level. And Riptor is super easy for beginners.

please let’s focus on Ra in this thread.

I’d like to add that S3 not only brought a lot of nerfs to trap-grappler Kan-Ra but also some additional bad match ups.

Rash - wrecking ball ignores everything on the screen and swarms are a great meal

Mira - impossible to trap or setup

Arbiter - activated shields ignore swarms. All around arguably better zoning.

Gargos - he is just a punsh to the face for everyone who defended the decision to kill Ra’s traps when combo broken (because of bugs that might happen). His minions dont give a damn about anything that happens to their master. If you like trap-grapplers, go for Gargos. At least he is even worse on wake up than Ra without minions.

All I have to say is
Kan has a 4f move? Where? When?

He doesn’t. St.LK hits on frame 5

I was kinda joking because the OP said he does.

1 Like

Thoughts on kanra adjustments?

This is an argument focused too much on results as opposed to what the character is actually capable of.

2 and 5 both sound reasonable to me, dunno about 1.

Here are my current thoughts on Kan-Ra adjustments

1. It has been stated that Kan-Ra is a trap grappler but one of his current problems is that the trap part can be ignored.
    I propose that his traps be removed from a time decay if he gets time to set up the traps they should remain until he replaces them as they already do minimum damage only hit a max of 5 times to make reacting to confirming off them harder and the dev team encourages people to just take the hits if they cant hit them to be removed so lets leave them up until they are blocked, destroyed, hit something, or Kan-Ra re places them.

2. Shadow Scarab the same kind of thing here as the above statement if you spend meter on getting on on the screen it should remain until destroyed, blocked or hits, maybe combo broken as much as I hate to say it to avoid safe combo breakers. However the scarab you get from the scarab ender should remain on the timer the same as now as its free and doesnt take a ton of frames to be created. this will make Shadow scarab usable.

3. Shadow sand trap if you get combo broken it should revert back to regular sand trap. you spent meter on this and shouldn’t be punished that hard for getting an opening and broken, but maybe I am wrong about this but minions don’t die or take a hit on combo break in fact they break combos just saying. Also I am not sure why Kan-Ra can’t have a shadow sand trap and still use sand its still not better than 2 minions plus when you use the regular sand trap your character has recovery from those moves though I will agree that programming wise this could be a nightmare because of sand explosion where do you teleport to if both are up?

4. Kan-Ra Anti Air so I am not sure why the startup on the HP version of this is 12 frame startup with the exception that the devs don’t really want us to AA with this on reaction but considering how the slowest DP i’ve seen is 11 frame start up and that is a heavy lights and mediums are much better I guess I would like clarification on the intent of having this at 12 frame startup when his other AA’s are 10 frame and 11 frame they all have different ranges and active times so we have to already guess which is best for the situation so can they all move down a frame or 2 to be competitive and why different recovery on the command grabs 52 is plenty of time to punish but the air versions of clutch are 57 and 55 no idea why.

5. Kan-Ra command grab all i really want is to have a command grab feint like cinder has a fission feint so that command grab setups can be more interesting just fake one the react appropriately still punishable the same way cinders is of course i’m not sure if it is or not but if it is then this should be the same.

Those are my thoughts and suggestions @TheKeits if I am crazy please steer me in the right direction. Im just trying to make Kan-Ra more fun to play and help KI over all and I have no problems with you correcting me on the developers intent because I am a developer but I don’t have access to what you guys thought process was when you designed stuff so all of this is in ignorance to that part. I always just want to be a part of the solution not a part of the problem

2 Likes

Kan Ra spent so much time overpowered people don’t know what changes he needs. He is a zoner, he shouldn’t have anything + in neutral. He should be even. Which he is. His scarabs and zoning are still good, hitbox adjustments are one thing they might need a little tweak but maybe them being able to be jumped out of was IG’s way of toning back his rushdown. He is a lot harder to play now because it is harder for him to get out of pressure than it used to be. As far as a battery ender, could be a possibility but it should yield little meter like Glacius’ battery. I’m sure IG is working on him. A character like Kan Ra can get a very minor change and have a drastic impact in play. So it will take time. Much like it took about a year of updates and now Fulgore is sitting pretty.

1 Like

I agree that one change at a time is for the best and not just a bunch at once

@SullenMosquito also Kan is not a zoner he is a trap grappler so being + in neutral isnt the worst thing for limited situations

3 Likes

I believe he benefits from being in mid range to full screen.

Yes i 100% agree on 1-3 kanra is a trap Grappler that feels nothing like the title he was given or even portray’s the image anymore! I’m fine with this great suggestion it makes absolute since. Also i do not feel this is game breaking nor overpowered going off how unsafe KanRa is in season 3. You have my vote!! “make kanra Great again”

2 Likes

Also a battery ender would be nice. "need meter to trap right?’

1 Like

Not sure which ender you would remove to get a battery ender? other than the scarab ender the rest are crucial for the character, Damage, Wall splat, Launcher with sand, Scarab is only ender that could be replaced for a battery ender not sure about the trade off.

If the scarab changes above happened having a battery ender would be OP imo and not as useful as scarab ender. Though Jago builds stupid meter and S windkick has great startup is plus on block and immune to everything except high attacks that are fast enough to stuff it but I digress this is about Ra if they dont change anything else battery ender wouldnt be bad

His playstyle is space control. He has more ranged normals and a full screen tracking projectile. He has what Glacius has and then some I believe. Hail except Kan-Ra can place them rather than hold them, Shatter but Kan-Ra’s tracks and can move them forward, in place or backwards (even on block). Ranged normals where Kan-Ra has crouching ones, neutral ones and jumping ones even has a crossup. Keeping them mid screen and beyond is his ultimate goal. He plays and opens them up Via Traps and Grappling, but how you get them there is by playing a zoning game to keep yourself safe and get them setup for an opener. Someone like Sabrewulf should and does struggle with a setup Kan-Ra. A Kan-Ra that doesn’t get setup and allows a Sabrewulf in, should struggle where Sabrewulf is stong, and Sabrewulf should struggle where Kan-Ra is strong. I don’t play Kan-Ra enough to know the extent of where he is right now, but I do now that he can keep rushdown characters out a lot but he has to treat his swarms a little like Aria’s assists. You can’t rely solely on them. You have to use/protect them to make your opponent intimidated by them. If they can just keep jump attacking them out of the air, or walk forward and poke them away without you contesting them, then yes his swarms will feel useless and seem to suck. I like to sit behind them just spaced enough where I can command grab them if they do something, or hit them with a sand spike to push them back for pressing buttons and setup more bugs. Even if a Jago winds up a fireball to take out some scarabs, you can spike him on reaction. Sometimes even catching him first if they are charging it. That’s just what I’ve found works pretty well. The hardest time is right at the start of a match, or after a life bar. Fighting for that space. Everyone wants to be right in your face, which is what they should be doing. Sometimes I dash towards them to throw them off :slight_smile: anywho, as far as hitboxes and frame data on his scarabs, I would have to spend more lab time, compare projectile sizes and stuff with other projectiles but soon as I get around to leveling him to 50 I will put in some work.

As far as for his battery ender, I really don’t know. Could make that his spike ender like Glacius? Unless his new spike ender has uses I don’t know yet. Otherwise other characters survive without Wall Splats, I don’t think Kan-Ra has much uses for a wall splat other than throw for curse. So if anything I would feel that one would be the most justifiable one to replace. The only other thing would be, what would the combo ender do? Just push them away and leave them standing giving Kan some meter? Or be a soft knockdown? Something like that could work.

Well, they fixed his command grab in the last patch so thats a start. You know, that bug “no one ever saw” where you can tech his command grab, yeah, fixed, no longer techable or duckable since it also received a hitbox increase on frame 1 to stop small hurtbox toons from low profiling it by crouching.

I still think the same about Kan Ra, needs adjustments to compete in s3, otherwise he won’t be able to compete. It will remain the same, defend, defend, defend, get shadow or instinct and then it’s your turn to play.

Comparing him to gargos is silly, gargos has weak defense but his minions and his air and range game more than make up for it. Screen control, zoning, and trapping is much more viable with Gargos.

As mentioned above, Ka Ra has too many bad matchups. Kan Ra is a good example of theory fighting gone wrong. On paper, he has the tools to trap and play his game, but in practice you will find that setting up any trap or controlling the screen is not very viable. Everything is super unsafe and doesn’t lead to anything crazy.

Scarabs don’ t do much damage and the recovery is insane, especially medium and heavy scarab, a normal destroys them, or any advancing speacial move or shadow (which also leads to combos), tell me again, whats to stop you from jumping at them or getting hit by them? At worst you get recaptured and supposing you don’t combo break, the KV will more than likely not reach level 4 and the damage will be garbage, especially if you save meter for shadow sandtrap. At best you eat like 2% or get scooped if I commit to a hard read LOL.

What if they have the life lead and start running away, and happen to have zoning tools? You can’t cause chip damage, and trading with HK sand spike is a liability, it does crap damage.

Kan Ra simply has too many holes. Sure, at mid levels you can body people with him, but once you start playing people that know how to play fighting 2d games and can understand frame data, there ain’t squat you can do with Kan Ra.

In any event, I already moved on from Kan Ra. No point in complaining and getting frustrated over a character, easier to move on to the next character than can do what he does better. If thats what the team wants we can’t really convince them otherwise. Like Aria says evolve or die. Start counterpicking and playing matchup based. Save Kan for his even MU’s or for Sadira :slight_smile: