Is TJ viable?

My biggest issue when playing TJ is a lack of low opener options compared to other characters I play. He has wicked mid and overhead for days but my opponent can defend those easily most of the time so I’ve been experimenting with low normals into opener specials trying to find the optimal ones but not having much luck. Advice?

C.mk or c.lk into BF LP

tj has alot of openers
Tremor (D,U+K) (overhead)
Rollercoaster (D+F+MP)
Backfist (B,F+LP or LP Powerline cancel )
Flying Knee (B,F+HK or HK Powerline cancel) (lower body invulnerable
Turnaround Punch (Jump (for crossup)+B+MP)
any shadow move
but yes for low mixups go cr.MK or cr.LK into Rollercoaster, Backfist.

Yeah I know he has a ton of openers I was specifically asking about optimal low mixup options as unfortunately he doesn’t have any low hitting sneaky openers from a distance like Spinal, Orchid and alot of others do.

ya he doesnt have a traditional on command low opener. you have to do cr.LK or MK into an opener

Yeah, but he also has ways to rapidly close to his optimal range in a way those characters wish they had. TJ has more than enough tools for getting into range for his low normals.

1 Like

I created 2 guides ( still working on the advanced one been sick lately) read those if you are having problems.

1 Like

Update:I’m level 44 with TJ but I’m still not confident enough to take him into ranked but I’m doing much better with him tanks guys

1 Like