Is the KI community starting to quit?

Skyrim remaster is the chosen one to make me leave KI for a long time

1 Like

I don’t know, when you’re getting savaged by competitive players left and right you tend to learn to pull your head back in. I don’t think it’s fair to blame Keits and company for not jumping into Twitch chats anymore given the circumstances. That aside, it still seems like KI has the most dev/community interaction of any current fighting game (bar Skullgirls?) by a considerable margin.

All games are broken, all games ship with known bugs. Software correctness is the hardest problem in software development, the problem scales hyperexponentially (worse, really) with the size of the codebase, and scalable techniques with which to deal with the problem might be a century off for all we know. If you don’t believe me I can point you to the relevant theorems, but these are hard mathematical facts that you just have to deal with. Yes some of the bugs that have slipped through in KI are more on the severe and game-breaking end than we’d like and that is unfortunate, but hell, right this very second the operating systems on your PC and phone are both riddled with severe buffer overrun exploits that (hopefully) nobody has been able to uncover yet, that could be used any day now to steal your personal data and enslave both devices in a large international botnet, and yet I presume you somehow sleep at night. Is that unacceptable?

Serious bugs are inevitable, could you try to cut the engineers some slack for once?

^Truth, right here. I have nfi how instrumental the PC version has been to getting new players in the door, but as a tool for enhancing quality of life for me as a player with a very recent build and a collection of 'Bone games that move straight over to the platform, it’s been pretty great and I’m glad it happened.

On-topic: I might’ve kinda…picked up Forza Horizon 3 and put more hours into that game than is reasonable? :sweat: The point about this being release season seems like a really strong one to me. I’m personally also busy with work and interviewing for work and whatnot, the latter of which I stopped doing during the winter (Australia) so now is kinda de facto interview season for me and that means I’m grinding programming competitions a lot more. And, aside from Shadow Lords, there hasn’t been new content for KI for several months now (despite someone claiming that IG never stops to iron out the kinks…?), so I’ve just done a few rounds of Shadow Lords and moved on to Forza for a while. I boot up Practice mode to drill some tech on occasion (I need to relearn Jago a little after the nerfs) and that’s about it.

But also, those talking about competitive players being driven away because nobody listened to their complaints, a counterpoint: I got sick of the nonstop toxicity from those competitive players, and it’s a big part of the reason why I’ve sorta disengaged with the community of late. I don’t want to drop in on a stream chat only to put up with a bunch of ■■■■-talking stirred up by the likes of PaulB or Rico while the streamer calls “YOLO” every time they get guess-broken. I’d rather go watch speedruns of a 15-year-old Zelda game where people are generally pretty chill and have accepted the game for what it is, myriad of faults and all. I don’t know, maybe I need to look elsewhere for my KI community fix.

6 Likes

No, please save your nice hat for this Saturday when we meet up in Tokyo :smile:

Btw, just hitting 50 hours played of XCOM2…on PC. Man, that game’s addicting. I can’t stop, won’t stop,…

love SL too though. I spend most of my time in Kan Ra 's shop listening to his talk and opening packages, lol.

Yeah man, looking forward to it! :smile:

And yeah, XCOM2 is awesome. I’m midway through a second playthrough with a ton of mods on. I highly recommend “A Better Advent” - the aliens get some brutal new tricks that make the game a LOT more interesting :slight_smile:

It’s baffling to me too. Every single other fighting game on the market is selling dlc costumes. People go crazy for the colors. Maybe they have run the numbers and it doesn’t make sense for them, but I find that hard to imagine. I have never been a big purchaser of cosmetics, but at the moment I’m thinking of buying Overwatch just so I can get the Halloween skins. If any game ever screamed Halloween it’s KI, but nothing. People have asked for more since S1 but to no avail. And these kind of things will get people into the game, playing it, streaming it and watching it.

So, yeah, it’s a bit off topic but I totally agree.

Im playing less, ALLOT less due to:

Recore
Forza H3
Gow4 / Horde mode
Inside
Over watch / Halloween addition also
Halo 5 / Warzone fire fight
Shadow lords

PLUS shadow lords is offline! SO MUCH TO PLAY! i cant be 100% devoted to KI any more.

BUT this aside i do feel S3 content wise and character wise was very thin on the ground. Also the delivery of the season all at once has NOT made me so keen to keep going back to the game.

During season 2 id play KI Every month with the new character and others without fail and im talking at least getting to level 40.

Season 3 has been amazing but for me some of the magic isnt there and as a season its not commanded AS much time away from the competition. Has this season been strong enough to REFRESH how i feel about the game?

my answer to that is simple: NO

i think some of this has been reflected here regarding, Delivery, New characters, Overall favorite season etc:

It’s not that ki is dying but it’s more of on a drought because

1. New games are out and large updates to older games.
  2. 3.4 wasn’t season 3 savior since everyone didn’t want to play shadow Lords, input bugs, so doing other things cause of this
  3. Everyone else is obsessed with shadow lords and just not fighting.
  4. School
2 Likes

Geez, took me forever just to scroll down thru all the replies so I could fit my “Hell NO its not dying as long as I am here!” in with the others.

But seriously, this is one of THE greatest and most well designed games I have ever played in my 25+ years of gaming. I will be playing this competi vely, as my main game above others (including MKX, which is a huge deal for me) until the day Microsoft/IG no longer supports it.

My goodness, those boss waves… we got a Swarmak on level 50. Half our team left and once our fortifications were destroyed that was it. :sob:

1 Like

lol! keep going tiger!!! you can do it! lol

1 Like

I love KI, but I finally decided to give a chance to dark souls 3 and I can’t belive why I have not played it yet.

About KI: shadow lords mode is OK but not enough to keep me playing. Considering that I am here since day one, it’s time to play other thing while I am waiting for season 4 and a decent arcade mode.

1 Like

I hope it’s not dying. After season 3 nerfed sabrewulf (my favorite since ki gold) so badly, and seemed to want to make juggles a priority I completely stopped playing. I tried picking the game up again a few days ago, and I hope I didn’t start again right when it starts to die out.

I consider myself a rabid KI player and fan, and I’m pretty sure I’m closing on 1,000 hours spent, at least 90% of that being Ranked play.

I have slowed down how much KI I’ve been playing over the last month, but that’s not because I’m tired of KI, it’s because I’ve been playing other games; Darkest Dungeon, Rainbow Six Siege, Bioshock Collection, and now Gears 4 are all pulling my attention, not to mention non-videogame distractions, like miniature painting (which takes a long time).

Just because you see certain individuals leaving or less people chatting on the forums doesn’t mean that the ship is sinking. We’re also in the prime game release season, so lots of new stuff to occupy people’s limited game time.

It’s also worth pointing out that although S3 is pretty close to being done, Shadow Lords seems to be something which IG and MS plan to support for a long time, and we did just have that huge survey. If they weren’t planning to support the game further, what would be the point running that?

1 Like

active players ebb and flow just like every other video game ever made, especially fighting games that rely on player’s skill and love of the game rather than dangle some mmo level-up carrots in front of players for months on end.

In the meantime, you’re stuck with playing against the hardcore remnants until new content hits

KI isn’t dead. Just sleeping. This always happens. Right now is the calm period after the huge bomb of S3. Lets just let the game rest a bit and let it wake up soon.

2 Likes

Lol, does it really feel like this game is dying/resting/slowing down in any way? I started playing regularly after EVO this year and let me tell ya, compared to SFV/MKX, this game looks like it’s in its PRIME! I never have to wait more than 5 minutes for a game, even if I use filters in matchmaking, I constantly have great interactions on Reddit, at Wednesday Night Fights in SoCal, and of course, just look at this thread as an example of these forums. I think kids just like to talk about games dying as a conversation starter, I personally don’t see the logic or the evidence. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

For me, KI isn’t dead at all. I’m just taking a break since we’re in a bit of a dry time with content and dev updates.

I’m just waiting for the confirmation of Season 4 or on-the-side DLC.

As evidenced by many above me, KI is likely not “dying” so much as it is suffering from by-products of major release season kick-off and possibly some folks (like myself) sitting out a bad patch. But, this is the internet, after all, where irrational hyperbole is as good as facts and data for many.

Somewhere above, someone posited that KI players are leaving for SFV because of poor community management, and I have to say that if you honestly believe these folks are playing SFV because of it’s superior community management, you need to get that closed head injury taken care of ASAP. Capcoms response to the Ryutkit fiasco was an apology for “inconvenience” and the announcement of more paid cosmetic DLC. Around EVO, they also said that the success of their CPT cosmetic sales will “determine” the amount they put toward the CPT Finals pot bonus, which sounds almost like strong-arming the tourney scene, but could’ve just been poor choice of words. Any way you cut it, Capcom’s community support is virtually non-existent, so that argument is downright laughable.

As for me, I am taking a break from KI because this input mishap is detrimental to my enjoyment of the game, and I feel like I have to drill anti-bug tech in the meantime, which is not my alley. I’d rather play Overwatch while they iron out the kinks, and so I do.

2 Likes

Still pick up KI every now and then, but the frequent bugs in it have been a downer of late. Also, I’ve been really focusing on Destiny: Rise of Iron and its Raid of late. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Without a major announcement of updates and/or Season 4, the idea that everyone that’s “taking a break” from this game is suddenly going to come back and the community will continue to grow and thrive is naive at best.

1 Like