Is the KI community starting to quit?

Do I think it’s dying? not by a long shot lol I do think that with the release of other games and it not being the season for fighting games (summer), you will see less top players, plus there’s school and work, things that ppl do everyday. I still see top players online. Plus its EARLY IN THE MONTH, top players dont play ranked until the END OF THE MONTH if they want pro star contentionship.

1 Like

Bizarrely I’ve just come back after Season 2. I was turned off when Kan-ra and Cinder got nerfs (my 2 original mains) but have picked up Rash and Tusk and having a lot of fun. Always up for games and I’m not going to be teabagging. Skill level I probably should be in Gold but I go about 50-50 with Killers without a pro star.

I am as close as i can be to “quitting” without actually “quitting”. My hype to play is gone. None of the new additions excite me, and every patch makes me FACEPALM. This game is spiraling out of control, and i cant imagine how hard it must be for pro players to deal with the issues 24 hours a day.

I have wanted to play KI a few times recently, and then remembered the patch issues, and gotten turned-off.

I really want “Season 4” to just be a period where the developers STOP DOING NEW THINGS and fix what they have. 1 year of balance changes, bug fixes, And depending on how it turns out, maybe add some fun customization and stages later on.

(Remember how pro / dedicated players kept saying “This game needs to be fixed”, but all the casuals on this site told them to stop complaining??? Well, THIS is the outcome. The game is even more broken than before, and a HUGE chunk of players are leaving until things get better.)

4 Likes

You hit it dead on the money. Sad to say most online experience is that way.

1 Like

Oh look, the game’s dying again. This is about the tenth time in the last three years.

I am on ranked much less than I have been at points in the past, although I have always gone through periods of more and less activity. I am participating in multiple tournaments and the leagues that have been organized in these forums so it would be wrong to say I’m taking a “break.”

When I do play ranked I can get on and get a match right away. So I’m not sure the OP is reality based. Newsflash, the chances of you getting someone exactly if your skill level in a random matchup is pretty poor. You will more likely get someone who beats you easily or whom you beat easily. That’s not more or less true now than always.

Most KI players are gamers. We play games. There are lots of good ones around. S3 finished up from a multiplayer perspective a while ago and broken eyedol chased people off ranked. Now SL is soaking up people’s time in single player. So I think there are plenty of potential contributors to your relative increase in the leaderboards besides “the game is dying!”

I appreciate that this is another good opportunity for people to beat their favorite complaints about the game, so don’t let me interrupt. Please, everyone, continue with a string of random and unclear complaints about how the game “has changed and sux now.”

14 Likes

Andy, I just redirect them to this parody thread. Lol

8 Likes

And of course, there’s no such thing as just sitting out a bad patch. If some people aren’t playing for a bit, THE COMMUNITY MUST BE QUITTING AND THE SKY MUST BE FALLING.

5 Likes

I’m not quitting, but a break is needed. With all of the games coming out soon, I gotta play those before I come back to KI.

1 Like

@DEClimax @BigBadAndy

How many “Sitting out of a bad patch”, and “Broken characters chasing people off of ranked” situations would it take for you to realize there is a problem? Because there has been 3 of EACH in a very short, recent, time period.

Sure, you diehards may not see past your own experiences, and you may even greatly enjoy mocking sensible players common sense perspectives, but when the game does die, you will be left wondering why such a “great game” never caught on.

Actually, nevermind… im sure you guys will find a way to justify THAT too.

2 Likes

Easy dude. Take a breath and relax. You are not required to answer every post, you know. You can just glance, and be on your day.

*It’s what I do some of the time. shrug *

And sure, there was some wonky things, but they fixed it as quickly as they could. Good example recently, was they gave us a quick hot fix for the reverse input bug, while they try and find the underlying cause ASAP.

Usually, Other Devs would just shrug and take there time to find it, while I’m sure that the input bug is high on IG’s priority list, because it can be a bit game-breaking.

2 Likes

“Some wonky things”

The input issue is still partially unsolved, and there are glitches that freeze matches right now, that the devs havent even begun to make a mention on.

Why is a request for the devs to slow down and focus on “fixes” more than “additions” a bad thing?

Im fed up with how many times people say “This game needs work”, and then they get roasted, mocked, and shamed by people who claim to love this game. When a patch comes out that doesnt fix known issues, and then ADDs more issues, how do you expect people who REALLY care about the game to not get upset?

1 Person saying this would be excusable,
Maybe even 50,
Maybe even a few pros,
But instead its about 50 PERCENT of Casuals and Pros.

I kept quiet and trusted the devs, and people like @BigBadAndy , to be a voice of reason, and to keep the community chill while the issues get ironed out… But they are not getting ironed out. The devs bit off more than they could chew with Season 3, and then instead of taking time to resolve the issue, they just kept taking bigger bites!

I have not seen a very positive post on this site, or others in a long time. All im noticing is people leaving. Because no one here listens. And im close to leaving too.

You guys got what you wanted. All the people complaining are gone. You pushed them out to SFV. Good job. So much for “being respectful” in the FGC.

(A game that prides itself of being frequently patched should NOT be struggling to be “playable” at tournament level. If THAT isn’t a bad enough sign, then nothing is)

1 Like

Yeah, maybe I should elaborate: For me, part of it is because I’m a casual. I’m gold rank, and probably won’t be making killer anytime soon, but I still enjoy playing. I had a good run going with Shadow Lords, but for now I’m mostly waiting on future updates before I get too much more into it. Whenever the next patch/update comes out, I’ll probably try again for awhile, free-time-permitting.

My point is, I’m probably not the only one here who feels this way. KI is a fun game, it’s just not something you’re going to devote hours a day too when you’re not trying to reach pro levels, and I don’t think that’s a bad thing.

There’s actually a ton wrong with what you are saying - not least of which being the fact that the game has “caught on.” I think people have unrealistic expectations and definitions of success. But this isn’t an argument between you and me, so I’m not going to turn it into one (although I will point out that Fluttershy wouldn’t be making so many histrionic claims - I think you are well into Rainbow Dash or Rarity territory here).

The only thing I’m mocking is people’s repeated insistence that anytime they have trouble getting a match the game is dying and then other people’s need to pile on with “yes it’s dying because [insert something I want but hasn’t happened]!!!”

I would never, and have never argued that KI has no problems. I would suggest that KI has ALWAYS had problems and that season 3 is demonstrably not more plagued by bugs or poor decisions than earlier seasons. It is, however, more plagued by people who are salty that somebody just bopped them with a bit of tech that didn’t used to be in the game and have decided that instead of adapting the real problem is that the tech in question shouldn’t be in the game in the first place.

If the game doesn’t change over time, it will die. You are not likely to enjoy every change that’s made (I don’t) and no one has a duty to play a game they aren’t enjoying. But there’s so much false memory syndrome and rose colored glasses rewriting of S2 history going on that is not helpful.

My metric for a living and “successful” game is very simple and easily measurable. Can I go online and get a match whenever I want? (yes) Is there an active community of people engaged on these forums and providing me with people I can play with? (yes) I’m currently involved in a league and an online tournament and one other online tournament just ended. There are more truly organized efforts in the community than ever before.

As far as pros and dedicated players “taking a break,” good for them. I don’t have any ill will towards those guys, but no one can ever explain to me why I should give a ■■■■. I don’t care if KI doesn’t sell as many copies as MKX or if KI doesn’t dominate the tournament scene. Those are things for the developers and TOs to worry about. I worry about the things in the last paragraph.

8 Likes

I’ve NEVER in the past claimed that this game was dying. But, now, it is. It’s clearly in decline just looking at player numbers (see the same players every day online and in the forums). Less involvement with the community by the devs, other games overshadowing it. I think that an announcement of a Season 4 with some hints as to new characters and game updates would work wonders though. Sadly, I don’t think we’re going to see too much support for the game going forward. KI 4 announcement sometime in the first qtr of 2017 will probably be the next big thing to happen.

OK, how about this.

Could you at least say “Hey, your problem is with balance, not functionality. Nothing is broken, there is just tech you need to learn.”

Instead of being disrespectful.

(I take no offence, im just pointing out that even when others are in the wrong, that is not an excuse to get rude.

I dont complain about balance at all anymore, just TRULY “broken” things, and functionality issues. We should at least be able to agree that FUNCTIONALITY broken-ness is unacceptable, right?)

2 Likes

Bruh, you aren’t even on Gears!

I got some beef against you! You didn’t tell me they added a co-op mode… the main reason I stepped away from Overwatch was because they didn’t have a co-op mode. We ain’t cool, man.

Right on! But seriously, we ain’t cool no more. I’m quitting KI because people like you.

At least changes happen though. I won’t argue that I hate some of the newer additions because it lost the barebones feel. But, when I look at other fighting games I actually wonder how it is that people can complain so much

Like I said, I’m not defending it as much as I am saying there is constant changes that improve the games vision. Gargos was OP, they toned him down, even if Kiets thought he needed buffs. Eyedol was OP, he got severly nerfed.

Go play SF and demand Gief buffs, you will hear nothing for months. Mortal Kombat X barely even got a game rebalance at the very end of its development.

Yeah… I’ve had my share of this when I argued against Arbiter sadly. Then when RAAM came out and I defended him, I was slightly singled out again. I guess that just happens in any vocal community though.

So they left KI because of “poor” community management and of all games they go to SF… HAHAHAHA… HAHAHA. HAH.

I don’t think you guys understand what a dying community is like. You want to see a dying community go look at games like DayZ or even TF2. Those games are dying because they dropped a majority of support and let the community take over it. KI is no doubt seeing a lesser amount of players but be real, they just released a disc version less than a month ago.

The community isn’t so much as dying as much as it is at its all-time-low. It happens, that’s how games work.

:+1:

6 Likes

Nah.

The Devs reward for community engagement is being accused of “not listening!!!” Because they don’t do everything that everyone wants. I would love for @zdhome and others to cite for me an example where developers have greater community interaction than this one. Capcom does nothing in response to player feedback - zero. So saying lack of responsiveness to player feedback is drivimg people to SFV is the height of absurdity.

And again, at the end of S2 the game was dead. D E A D and anyone who said otherwise was a stupid Xbox fanboy who just couldn’t see. What was needed was a PC port to “SAVE THE GAME!” Well, we got a PC port. The promised influx of everynodies friend who would totally main this game if it was on PC came and went, and didn’t affect me at all (although I like playing the game in PC too).

I’m ranting, when what I actually wanted to pick up on was KI 4. I’m assuming you mean a sequel and not KI Season 4. I continue to believe that a sequel to this game is not in the cards. If they don’t see viability in a season 4 they won’t see viability in a sequel. And of course it won’t really change anything because people will complain about everything that stays the same as well as everything that’s different.

@zdhome, I’m actually trying to be respectful. I’m sorry if that is not coming through - it’s really challenging to modulate tone and intent through text, which is one reason everyone is always fighting in the Internet. For the record Yes, the game should not be broken. Bugs should be fixed. I’m not sure how screaming “fix the bugs! The game is dying!” Helps this but I am in absolute agreement that fixes need to be made. I’m currently not encountering a lot of bugs when I play, so it isn’t affecting me much. And the game has always had bugs. But yes. Fix the bugs.

Eyedol j.HP should not have been a thing. But it was, and they fixed it. I don’t know how this can compare unfavorably to Capcom, or Tekken (“don’t ask me for shit” - Harada) or buying this years full price minor update of whatever ArcSystemworks is currently doing, or NRS’s $40 DLC. But I just get tired of all the melodrama.

8 Likes

Im taking a break because of MKXL but i wont left the game anytime soon.

I never said that a lack of dev involvement is driving people to Street Fighter 5. I just said that there is a new lack of dev involvement within this community. That’s just a fact. More evidence that the game is in decline. So don’t put words in my mouth, unless you were talking to somebody else. I also disagree with you that because there might not be a Season 4 that there is no sequel to this game. Games that have a lot of successful DLC (which is what the season model equates to) eventually do come up with sequels most of the time when a sequel rollout becomes more profitable than additions to the current game. This is the norm.